Feedback to developers

Pilum

I think the WW2 aircraft in DCS are great and I enjoy flying them as such but…

For those of us that enjoy a quick spin in SP when we can find the time, AI behaviour is important. Frankly, compared to other flight sims, even legacy ones, the DCS WW2 AI are simply too simplistic and I’m tired of seeing them pull up to stall speeds, jerk their plane around unaffected by torque, pop flaps and hang there etc.

Also, it’s getting rather tiresome flying out of a modern day airport with buildings, radars and factories in a WW2 fighter.

While I’ll continue with the modern modules, I don’t think I’ll get any more WW2 modules until this is fixed. I bought some at full price as a sign off support. Now I’m doubtful I will buy the coming ones, certainly not at full price anyway, unless these basics are fixed.

Don’t know how many others share my sentiment but my guess is that if DCS wants to retain and improve sales of their WW2 modules, I think they need to fix the AI and get a decent WW2 map environment up and running pretty soon…

I understand DCS has plans in both areas so I’m hoping for the best but these factors are make or break factors for me…

Old Crow ECM motto: Those who talk don't know and those who know don't talk........

http://www.crows.org/about/mission-a-history.html

Pilum aka Holtzauge

Totally agree with the point you made about the (modern) map. But luckily we all know, that the Normandy Map is coming, what will be a proper WW2 map, with everything that goes with it. So i guess we just have to be patient a little longer. I think as soon as it's out, the WW2 part of DCS will get a huge boost.

To your other point, the AI planes, i have one opinion, and one (possible) suggestion. I agree with you, that it's not fun, to fight against AI planes, but in my opinion the worst thing is the AI's damage model. While the DM is nearly perfect in multiplayer, the AI planes are just flying tanks. No matter how often you hit them, they just keep flying like nothing has happened. Normally it takes one 30mm or 20-40 0.5cal hits to down a WW2 fighter aircraft (in multiplayer that's accurate). Against AI it happened to me, no kidding, that i had to put 20 30mm bullets, or 500(!!) 0.5cals into an aircraft to down it. Until this point they kept flying like nothing happened.

For me that makes flying against AI completely useless, makes no sense. I uninstalled DCS a while ago.

But now with 1.5 here comes my suggestion. I didn't try it so far, but the Devs said that Multiplayer performance will get better. So if that's the case, just hop onto a server, and have some fun against human pilots. The level isn't too high on most servers, you should have fun with any plane there :). (as soon as the performance is right - i will definitely come back to this Sim, as soon as the MP performance is right)

A difficult situation, yes? People want more WW2-oriented development before they find it worthy to invest in it. Meanwhile, devs get no money to support said development because.

Of course, this can differ because there simply might not be anything to invest into. No kickstarter, no new modules, but one person has already said he's likely not going to buy upcoming modules. Lost development money.

Is the current state very underwhelming and filled with issues like mentioned above? Absolutely. But this is also the time most support is needed.

Show ED you really want this.

In the end, you have to ask yourself, are you willing to take the risk? I am, for the simple fact that there is nothing else that can do or is offering what DCS can do.

So I might come out empty-handed. S*it happens. But are we at the point it's just time to abandon ship? I don't think so, but I cannot chastise anyone for thinking otherwise, either.

My skins/liveries for Fw 190 D-9 and Bf 109 K-4:

My blog or Forums.

Open for requests as well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Any time you spend money on software with the hope that it will be improved in the future it is 100% your risk. If you're not happy with the current state of software, strongly consider not buying it.

I buy DCS WW2 modules because I enjoy them. End of story for me. If you buy modules out of a sense of charity you're distorting the demand-curve and will probably end up unsatisfied and cranky.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

A difficult situation, yes? People want more WW2-oriented development before they find it worthy to invest in it. Meanwhile, devs get no money to support said development because.

Of course, this can differ because there simply might not be anything to invest into. No kickstarter, no new modules, but one person has already said he's likely not going to buy upcoming modules. Lost development money.

Is the current state very underwhelming and filled with issues like mentioned above? Absolutely. But this is also the time most support is needed.

Show ED you really want this.

In the end, you have to ask yourself, are you willing to take the risk? I am, for the simple fact that there is nothing else that can do or is offering what DCS can do.

So I might come out empty-handed. S*it happens. But are we at the point it's just time to abandon ship? I don't think so, but I cannot chastise anyone for thinking otherwise, either.

Starting this thread is showing ED I care and want this. However, seeing the enthusiasm people have in the forums for all the new modules planned may lul ED into thinking we don't care about other issues like the AI. Why should they spend any effort on fixing AI if no one asks for it? I have bought every WW2 module up till now but frankly I'm not interested in chasing AI with fairy tale FM or doing the circuit at Sochi any more. IMHO ED needs to understand that there are other customers demands and that simply maintaining status quo and pumping out new modules will not hold water any more. At least not in my book. However, if the devs step up and fix this then I'll happily continue to finance development, otherwize not so much....

Any time you spend money on software with the hope that it will be improved in the future it is 100% your risk. If you're not happy with the current state of software, strongly consider not buying it.

I buy DCS WW2 modules because I enjoy them. End of story for me. If you buy modules out of a sense of charity you're distorting the demand-curve and will probably end up unsatisfied and cranky.

Nope. Never bought a module with any sense of entitlement. However, I can vote with my feet and as you say, if I'm not happy with the current state of affairs, I don't have to buy. However, I thought it would be civil to let the devs know before I pull any plug. Let's be honest: the AI have been like this for years. It's time something was done.

Old Crow ECM motto: Those who talk don't know and those who know don't talk........

http://www.crows.org/about/mission-a-history.html

Pilum aka Holtzauge