After the last updates, Elbrus rescue possible ?

jef32

Hi

Since the last updates, flying in altitude with the Huey is impossible. Perhaps it's the truth in real life but now, as soon as the EGT is over the green zone, the engine burns.

On the user manual, that speaks about 30 minutes allowed in the caution zone, between 610°C and 625°C. But I've just tried a mission where I was forced to stay just some minutes in this warning zone, to climb to 8000 ft and my engine burned out very quickly even if I'd never reach the 625°C.

So I think the Elbrus rescue mission is now, impossible to do.

CPU: I7-6700K 4Ghz, GC: nVidia GeForce Titan X Gigabytes, 32 Go DDR4, Motherboard: Gigabytes Z170X-Gaming 3. OS: W10-Family, 3 HD Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB + 1 Samsung SSD EVO 500 Gb. Oculus Rift CV1

flying at your maximum climbing speed of 60mph and its easy.

don't turn on the engine de icing until you need it

as you gain altitude the temp drops and you can steadily increase collective. use pitch to keep it at 60mph for maximum climb.

and you can stay in the green all the way there.

60mph may seem slow but its actually the fastest way there.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Thanks for explanations but it doesn't explain why the time allowed to going beyond 610°C without reaching 625°C is reduced to one or two minutes while the user's manual says 30 minutes.

That could be interesting if we could have a real Huey pilot here.

CPU: I7-6700K 4Ghz, GC: nVidia GeForce Titan X Gigabytes, 32 Go DDR4, Motherboard: Gigabytes Z170X-Gaming 3. OS: W10-Family, 3 HD Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB + 1 Samsung SSD EVO 500 Gb. Oculus Rift CV1

It's a known bug that BST are apparently working on.

Many. many pages discussing the problem (amongst other engine modelling issues) here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=196588

- Bear

Edited by HuggyBear

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

- Robert A. Heinlein

@jeff32

i learned to fly the huey with the EGT as part of my cockpit scan, so when they brought in engine damage, they actually increased the EGT limit. (the huey ran hotter before the change)

so my experience of the new huey, is more EGT limit and more power than it had before.

and no i have not blown an engine. not even on long missions with sling loads.

because i learned to fly it with an even lower limit.

and elbrus was possible with a lower limit.

the secret is smooth, trimmed flight to maximise your potential energy.

and being slow and steady on the collective to prevent EGT spikes.

i have not had to change the way i fly the huey. since the change i fly it the same but with more power.

i cant be the only one who was using the fully animated and working engine gas temp gauge before they brought in engine damage?

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Thanks for your answers

OK now, I know that it's a bug and a known issues and that BST works on it.

Quadg, on an other mission I've built and where I had an engine fire, I know why now. When I saw the external temperature just going under 0°C, I switched ON the De-Icing.

Since your explanations, I've done the mission without the De-Icing and with a Vi of 60 mph max during climb and I returned safe to my base.