Update copckpit for better VR experience?

Sandman1330

I'm wondering how much interest there would be in updating the A10C cockpit for a better VR experience.

Not that the current experience is bad, per se, but it just doesn't feel as real as some of the newer modules.

This comes down to two things for me: first and foremost is the cockpit scale. It feels positively huge, especially coming from some of the newer modules like the Harrier or the WWII birds. Though I've never sat in an A10, I know most combat aircraft have very small cockpits, and videos of the A10 seem to bear this out. I just don't get the feeling of being there like I do in the Harrier, I feel like I'm sitting in the cockpit of a 747 rather than a combat aircraft. This kind of leads into the HUD perspective and head placement, though I know this one has been discussed a fair bit in other threads...

The second element is the pilot body, which I think has been discussed before. The inclusion of a pilot body would greatly increase immersion...

Thoughts from others?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Pilot body is probably coming at some point. Also the sense of scale will be possible to adjust in the near future by messing a bit with the renderer IPD. Think of this setting as scale of yourself vs everything else (contrary to hardware IPD which has to be set to confirm with your actual own IPD).

Is it just the size and seating position in the Hog you have an issue you with or also the textures? Ricardo has done wonderful HD cockpit texture mods for the Hog (go here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1562558/ )

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

I'm wondering how much interest there would be in updating the A10C cockpit for a better VR experience.

Not that the current experience is bad, per se, but it just doesn't feel as real as some of the newer modules.

This comes down to two things for me: first and foremost is the cockpit scale. It feels positively huge, especially coming from some of the newer modules like the Harrier or the WWII birds. Though I've never sat in an A10, I know most combat aircraft have very small cockpits, and videos of the A10 seem to bear this out. I just don't get the feeling of being there like I do in the Harrier, I feel like I'm sitting in the cockpit of a 747 rather than a combat aircraft. This kind of leads into the HUD perspective and head placement, though I know this one has been discussed a fair bit in other threads...

The second element is the pilot body, which I think has been discussed before. The inclusion of a pilot body would greatly increase immersion...

Thoughts from others?

It certainly could do with a refresh as I agree, the F5 and the F86 make it look a little dated. However it is a very old module these days, even if in my view it is still the best. I think.the Hog is blessed with quite a spacious cockpit IRL though, it is a pretty large aircraft.

I have thought of the pilots body in the past and always have them enabled in my other aircraft. I think the problem with the hog is the fact that the side consoles are so complex and will be blocked from view / operation by arms. On the P51, you cannot see the port fuel gauge because of a leg. Multiply that by 30 and you got the Hog with pilot.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

a-10C%2BIP.jpg

It is a spacious cockpit when considering that you have two rows of panels on both sides.

4996069258_b41d602b89_o.jpg

It really has "walls" around the pilot. Like consider how much space there is between pilot legs and the wall. Shoulders and elbows are very far as well.

A-10-celebration.jpg

So IMHO the A-10 cockpit should be a "office".

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

For me, all DCS cockpits in VR are smaller than they should be (just look at the stick or the throttle, they are really tiny). However, A-10C cockpit have other problems in VR - not all cockpit surfaces are modeled in 3D. For example, check ILS panel, it is just a surface with 2D texture, 3D features are missing.

Watching YT videos, it seems many people run the field of view far too wide.

IRL, You can't see straight ahead through the HUD when you're flying a 30 degree bearing line in echelon off the lead jet. Looking at the environment like your eyes are 8mm lenses will make everything look expansive.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

Update copckpit for better VR experience?

A-10C could definitely use a major rework for the pilots head position and the way the HUD is scaled and projected. The Harrier does this perfectly.

Agree that I would like to see a pilots body as well, but I believe that has been said to be coming sometime in the future IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Wow look at the UHF repeater head on the panel in this pic...

4996069258_b41d602b89_o.jpg

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

A-10C could definitely use a major rework for the pilots head position and the way the HUD is scaled and projected. The Harrier does this perfectly.

Agree that I would like to see a pilots body as well, but I believe that has been said to be coming sometime in the future IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the redundant front lever on the warthog joystick to move the camera rearwards, saves all the F5ing.

Best position in VR is moving back till the front edge of the TACAN panel aligns with where your hip would be..

For me, all DCS cockpits in VR are smaller than they should be (just look at the stick or the throttle, they are really tiny). However, A-10C cockpit have other problems in VR - not all cockpit surfaces are modeled in 3D. For example, check ILS panel, it is just a surface with 2D texture, 3D features are missing.

Sounds like something is wrong with the your IPD or World Scale settings in whatever VR setup you are using. All the cockpits are very realistically scaled for me in DCS.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Sounds like something is wrong with the your IPD or World Scale settings in whatever VR setup you are using. All the cockpits are very realistically scaled for me in DCS.

I use Oculus CV1 on default settings. I'm pretty sure that IPD is ok, because I do not have any problems with stereo effect. And world scale - where I can find it settings?

• 4 months later...

Did some research on the scale, so now I'm absolutely sure, that scale in VR is wrong in DCS! Don't tell me that I'm wrong, just enable pilot body in the cockpit (something, everyone see every day) and "enjoy" yourself being 10 years old once again. In toy cockpit. This is not right. And because resolution of current VR headset is not great, scaling it down, as it is in current DCS, doesn't help with readability inside the cockpit too.

Edited by Lehmen

Did some research on the scale, so now I'm absolutely sure, that scale in VR is wrong in DCS! Don't tell me that I'm wrong, just enable pilot body in the cockpit (something, everyone see every day) and "enjoy" yourself being 10 years old once again. In toy cockpit. This is not right. And because resolution of current VR headset is not great, scaling it down, as it is in current DCS, doesn't help with readability inside the cockpit too.

Adjust the in game IPD in the VR settings menu. I have my Odyssey, and the in game IPD set to match my actual IPD of 71. Everything is in perfect scale.

Someone also redid the cockpit texture files to make everything more legible in VR. A must for the lower resolution HMDs like the Rift and Vive.

Edited by Thick8

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

When I am at 52.5 Forced IPD the pilots body is exactly the same size as I am, stick is in same position, and so on.

The error is yours on this one, not ED's...you're not using the settings available to you.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

When I am at 52.5 Forced IPD the pilots body is exactly the same size as I am, stick is in same position, and so on.

The error is yours on this one, not ED's...you're not using the settings available to you.

And it truly does! Thank you, it is much better now. But who would had guessed that Forced IPD settings is actually do the scaling...