AN/TRN-26 Mobile TACAN

Destroyer37

This would be a great addition to DCS. Please see the link below for a description

tacan.s.jpg

https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/equip/an-trn-26.htm

Specs:

Fractal Design Define R5 Black, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E, Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake @ 5.1 GHz, MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X, Corsair H110i, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x16GB), Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB SSD

+999999

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=193398

But also applying not just to RSBN, TACAN and TILS, but VORs, NDBs (as suggested above), ARK, ILS, PRMG, MKR and maybe even PAPI lights.

All we need are a selection of appropriate 3D models for each system (perhaps with multiple versions where applicable, seeing as TACAN exists as larger towers right the way down to man-portable systems).

Then allow the user to define on/off states (using the triggers system), frequencies/channels, identifiers/callsigns, transmission power, and for LS, TILS, PRMG and PAPI lights glideslope angle.

There's also another thing that I think should change for NAVAIDs and that's a need of a standardised set of NAVAIDs: VOR, ILS, NDB, ARK, RSBN, PRMG, TILS etc that each and every aircraft can use providing they have the facility to do so. As at the moment the RSBN/PRMG system isn't consistent between the MiG-21Bis and the L-39, as at the moment the MiG-21 has a proprietary system that is totally unrelated to the actual beacons on the map, the MiG-21Bis has access to more stations and the one's that are present for the L-39 are on differing channels/frequencies and are thus inconsistent with each other. The same can be said of the ARK system present in the MiG-21Bis and compare that to say the MiG-15, the MiG-15 uses the beacons present on the map, the MiG-21 uses a separate, proprietary system. The Viggen has it's own proprietary system (TILS) that is otherwise not present in DCS whatsoever.

Once we have this standardised system and then have assets which allow them to be created and modified in the mission editor then NAVAIDs in DCS will be practically perfect until we see new aircraft with access to other NAVAIDs (MLS, JPALS etc).

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Didn't know there are such vehicles, this would be a great addition

Well even NAVAIDs that don't have a mobile form could be done as well, simply create an appropriate 3D model and have it placed in the ME and just have the options to configure it as desired. It could easily be done for ILS, VORs, NDBs and ARK stations, it's just it won't be mobile, kinda like the stuff under 'fortifications' in DCS

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 1 year later...

That thing that blows me away is that there is already a beautifully modeled MAN Portable TACAN in the ME, both as a static object and as an AI object under Fortifications. You would think that it wouldn't be too difficult for ED to provide for the ability to set the channel when placing it on the map. I mean, why else would they have put that in?? :(

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...
That thing that blows me away is that there is already a beautifully modeled MAN Portable TACAN in the ME, both as a static object and as an AI object under Fortifications. You would think that it wouldn't be too difficult for ED to provide for the ability to set the channel when placing it on the map. I mean, why else would they have put that in?? :(

This would be great.

I am experimenting with the Ka-50 and seaborne assault. Does anyone know how I can set up a TACAN or NDB, or some sort of homing beacon on either the Tarawa or Kuznetzov?

At the moment, whilst you can launch from the Tarawa/Stennis/Kuznetzov in a Black Shark, you need dead reckoning to re locate your carrier.

Cheers

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

I've made a few missions where I've had a ADF beacon transmitting from a trigger zone. You can do this by setting a radio transmission trigger on the desired frequency and the game reads it as properly transmitting station and you can home in on that. Note that you (apparently) need a .ogg file, even a completely silent .ogg looping lets you home in. It works for static stuff if you want to create your own stations but things get more complicated if you want your beacon to move.

Other way is through the advanced waypoints. Under "perform command" you have a similar menu but you have to set another command for the frequency. This is side locked so a blue unit transmitting on 600kHz is only transmitting to the blue coalition and the ships waypoint options, for reasons unknown) are limited so you can't use this on ships but you can for example set a car driving around and transmitting as a moving homing station if you wish.

Then there's always scripting which allows for way more and then some but is that much more difficult.

This would be great.

I am experimenting with the Ka-50 and seaborne assault. Does anyone know how I can set up a TACAN or NDB, or some sort of homing beacon on either the Tarawa or Kuznetzov?

At the moment, whilst you can launch from the Tarawa/Stennis/Kuznetzov in a Black Shark, you need dead reckoning to re locate your carrier.

Cheers

Tarawa let's you set up the TACAN through the advanced waypoints as well. You set it up on the WP you want it to start transmitting. Kuznetsov doesn't have this. Then again, KA-50 doesn't have TACAN so you're out of luck there :)

TCNexample.thumb.png.2c280d2d4557f58348448dca5bfe9eac.png

edit: whoops, misread your message Accipiter and actually answered nothing there assuming your ship is moving. Sorry about that. You could try and make an AI helicopter stay on the ship and transmit but it's a silly workaround that I haven't tested.

edit2: you could also try and make a triggerzone moving, there's at least (UNIT INSIDE MOVING ZONE) which ties the created zone to a unit. I'm not sure if this breaks the transmission though.

Edited by Minni