Su-25T Autopilot Waypoint Question

dresoccer4

Hey everyone - i wasn't sure which category to post this question in, so sorry if it's in the wrong one.

My question is about the route following autopilot in the Su-25T. In the manual, it says that if the waypoint is a "turning point", the aircraft will begin banking before actually getting to the waypoint so the transition to the next waypoint's route is nice and curved.

However it seems to me that no matter if the waypoint is a turning point or a fly over point, the AP acts like everything is a fly over point. My plane just shoots past the waypoint, and then inefficiently has to perform several steep turns to get back on track.

Anyone else notice this? Think this should be considered a bug or a "feature"? If this is how it supposed to work, then why do we even have an option in the mission editor?

---

And one last question. What is the most recent version of DCS world? My says 1.2.16.43180 however i've seen all sorts of other versions thrown around in threads like 1.2.7 and 1.2.8 and 1.5 (which is the open beta i know). All of those versions seem newer than mine. If someone could shine some light on this it'd help me stop banging my head against the table.

Cheers! :pilotfly:

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

1.5 client --> http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/beta/

it's beta. constantly updated, may be broken sometimes, hence the 1.2 is still out, as that is the latest stable.

EDIT: if you wanna stay on 1.2 but you're not sure if you got the latest client. hit the START key on your keyboard and type in DCS UPDATE

which is the most up to date stable version, 1.2.8? i don't want to use the beta yet. i'm going through steam so don't think i have the dcs updater thing

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

Hey everyone - i wasn't sure which category to post this question in, so sorry if it's in the wrong one.

My question is about the route following autopilot in the Su-25T. In the manual, it says that if the waypoint is a "turning point", the aircraft will begin banking before actually getting to the waypoint so the transition to the next waypoint's route is nice and curved.

However it seems to me that no matter if the waypoint is a turning point or a fly over point, the AP acts like everything is a fly over point. My plane just shoots past the waypoint, and then inefficiently has to perform several steep turns to get back on track.

Anyone else notice this? Think this should be considered a bug or a "feature"? If this is how it supposed to work, then why do we even have an option in the mission editor?

/// quote edit////

Cheers! :pilotfly:

Thank you for asking this question dresoccer4. I'm interested in this also.

Thanks again,

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. System specs: Windows 7 Pro, EVGA X58 3x classified 3 MOBO, i7 960 @3.2Ghz, 24Gb Ram, Nvidia EVGA GTX 780ti with 3 Gb VRAM.

12th Gen i7 12700K, MSI Z690 Edge mobo, 32 GB of DDR4-3600 RAM (G.Skill Ripjaws V CL16). 

Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle OC (Triple Fan, 16GB VRAM), ACER XV322QU 32" IPS monitor (running 2560x1440).

2TB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD (3D TLC NAND PCIe Gen 4 x4).

Windows 11.

which is the most up to date stable version, 1.2.8? i don't want to use the beta yet. i'm going through steam so don't think i have the dcs updater thing

The last official 'stable' version was 1.2.16, that doesn't mean it wasn't without bugs, just that most were known.

As you have found, the Su-25T route following auto-pilot isn't very bright in 1.2.16 (or 1.5 IIRC), so I think most of us stick to the level flight, altitude or attitude modes. Note: the auto-pilot also has serious issues if you adjust the default barometric pressure of the altimeter.

The manuals were written sometime ago and haven't been updated to reflect some of the changes that have happen as ED add features to the Caucasus map and/or module aircraft.

The open beta is available for Steam users by selecting 'open beta - public versions' under the Steam->DCS World - Properties->BETAS tab.

Edited by Ramsay
Spelling

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

The last official 'stable' version was 1.2.16, that doesn't mean it wasn't without bugs, just that most were known.

As you have found, the Su-25T route following auto-pilot isn't very bright in 1.2.16 (or 1.5 IIRC), so I think most of us stick to the level flight, altitude or attitude modes. Note: the auto-pilot also has serious issues if you adjust the default barometric pressure of the altimeter.

The manuals were written sometime ago and haven't been updated to reflect some of the changes that have happen as ED add features to the Caucasus map and/or module aircraft.

The open beta is available for Steam users by selecting 'open beta - public versions' under the Steam->DCS World - Properties->BETAS tab.

thanks for your answers!

thanks for your answers!
No problem.

I just realized I never answered your initial questions

However it seems to me that no matter if the waypoint is a turning point or a fly over point, the AP acts like everything is a fly over point.

Many aircraft in DCS World don't have a auto-pilot or only step to the next waypoint after overflying (after HSI needle changes from TO to FROM). The route following auto-pilot in the Su-25T may be more of an 'auto-cruise' than 'auto-fly' type thing.

Think this should be considered a bug or a "feature"?
It depends which features the real Su-25T auto-pilot has, if the simplified FC3 system model can model them and if it's working as ED intended.

If this is how it supposed to work, then why do we even have an option in the mission editor?
AFAIK the different 'fly over point' and 'turning point' waypoints (in the Mission Editor) are mainly to help AI flights and wing men to fly more realistically.
Edited by Ramsay
  • Like 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

AFAIK the different 'fly over point' and 'turning point' waypoints (in the Mission Editor) are mainly to help AI flights and wing men to fly more realistically.

thanks for the explanation. it's for the AI players and not for us.

• 1 month later...
I know this doesn't address the question, but I find that switching to the next waypoint at about 3-1.5 K before you reach it helps alot. The tighter the turn the greater distance.

Yea that's a good idea I've started doing that myself. But you have to be vigilant andkeep track of your distance. No wandering off to get a sandwich :)