Dcs world 1.5 vs 2.0

VrValor

Sorry, what are the differences? I think tjat if 2.0 only has the Nevada map, the 2.0 title is misleading. Can someone explain?

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 utilizzando Tapatalk

Put in the simplest terms: 2.0 has a much more advanced scenery format (Edge) and probably some stuff that I'll never understand. If you want to see the difference, go into 1.2 or 1.5 and look at the trees and other stuff like that. In 1.2 and 1.5, the trees are non dimensional. Take a close look at them. In 2.0 they appear as round lush plants, in 1.5 they look like two cutouts assembled to look 3D. Plus, you cannot crash into them, in 1.2 or 1.5, in 2.0. you can.

Look at all of the bldg. structures in 2.o. Much different. And there is a much larger variety of bldg. designs in the core structure. Textures, are also much better in 2.0.

A lot of the other new features have not been implemented as of yet (cloud textures, etc.) in 2.0 because it is in Alpha release.

This is the very simple explanation. I'm sure some geek :smilewink: will come along with a better explanation complete with all the 0's and 1's. But that is as simple as it can be explained.

2.0 suuuure looks better.

Edited by Zimmerdylan
  • Like 1

I have an older computer system which runs fine in 1.5 but comes to a useless crawl in 2.0 even set to the lowest possible options. Is the performance slower in 2.0 only because of the complexity of the Nevada map or will it also run slower with the new version of the Caucasus map when it gets converted to run in 2.0? I vote to keep 1.5 around for use by those of us who can't afford a new computer just to run 2.0.

• Like 1

RAM is of much higher importance with NTTR. The map file itself is about twice the size of the entire previous DCS install including the Black Sea map. The amount of data that is needed to keep up at any point is much more. I have 6GB of RAM and it really doesn't cut it.

Video card is of great importance as well. The amount of objects on screen when you're flying in Las Vegas is tremendous.

1.2 was much more processer dependent. 1.5 and 2.0 are actually lighter on the processor, but they also have more visual effects, so the weight on the video card is more so.

1.2 was much more processer dependent. 1.5 and 2.0 are actually lighter on the processor, but they also have more visual effects, so the weight on the video card is more so.

Agreed, so nice to have a combat flight sim that makes good use of the video card's dx11 features.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Sorry, what are the differences? I think tjat if 2.0 only has the Nevada map, the 2.0 title is misleading. Can someone explain?

DCS 1.5 Introduced DX11/EDGE, along with several fixes/changes

DCS. 2.0 Introduced new Terrain engine, along with several features and more to be added later during beta phase.

Terrain Engines in 1.5 and 2.0 are different.(T3 and T4, simply put)

Terrain Engine in 2.0 is the engine that supports multiple maps, management, DRM etc.

Terrain Engine in 1.5 is the Older Engine Running inside EDGE, and does not support Multiple maps, DRM etc etc.

The Terrain Engine/Format was required to properly support multiple Maps, File system, DRM etc.

Now that NTTR is released and the Terrain Engine (T4) is being publicly tested, newer maps will not have to wait for T4 or related tools to be developed etc.

Black Sea Will be Ported to T4 and added to 2.0 Alpha at a later date.

EDGE itself is the graphics engine.

The Graphics Engine was required to render the terrain and objects at the level ED Wanted.

The graphics engine itself and its effects are still WIP and In development.

Down the road, everything will converge into 2.0.

1.2 will become Legacy,

2.0 will become the main version.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

RAM is of much higher importance with NTTR. The map file itself is about twice the size of the entire previous DCS install including the Black Sea map. The amount of data that is needed to keep up at any point is much more. I have 6GB of RAM and it really doesn't cut it.

Video card is of great importance as well. The amount of objects on screen when you're flying in Las Vegas is tremendous.

Seen in my sig below, I run with 32GB of extremely fast RAM serving a CPU humming along at 4.6 GHz and two graphics cards in SLI. If I fly downtown LV, I get about 6 fps with everything set to max. I get 120 fps with everything set to off or low. If I fly up high and out in the desert, I usually get around 90 FPS with everything set to max.

In an anomaly, I had once set everything to max and began reducing things to see what was causing the death of the FPS. The first thing I cut off was Distance. Downtown LV gave me in the 80's FPS with everything set to max. I said, "Eureka!" I turned the Distance back to max and, of course, got the 6 FPS again. In a proof of fix, I returned the Distance to zero again. Unfortunately, the FPS did not return as I had thought. My 80's FPS was an anomaly.

I cannot stress enough that this release of 2.0 is in Alpha stage and will... repeat... will have some crippling bugs for a while. It is to be expected. Above all, IT'S HERE! We just have to let the cake cool until we get to eat it!

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

MAC, try getting rid of DOF (Depth of field).

It did a big change for me!

Can anyone explain to me what DOF does?

Is it related to the following: I have DOF turned off, and flying over LV I can see the building in focus close by, but further out (still well within the visual distance no matter what I use for the visibility range setting) it appears completely blurred. Does DOF make this transition softer? Anyone know?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

I think you should leave 1.5 available for those of us with computers too slow to run 2.0 smoothly. It is much better than 1.2 and opens up a customer data pool that is unable to go with 2.0.

The only difference between 1.5 and 2.0 is the map and the underlying terrain engine.

EDGE itself was pretty much the same in both 1.5 and 2.0.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Can anyone explain to me what DOF does?

Is it related to the following: I have DOF turned off, and flying over LV I can see the building in focus close by, but further out (still well within the visual distance no matter what I use for the visibility range setting) it appears completely blurred. Does DOF make this transition softer? Anyone know?

Objects not near the camera are blurred out.

Objects not near the camera are blurred out.

Is it only for an external camera, or also when I fly and look at the external scenery from within the cockpit.

Two reasons why I ask: (i) as mentioned in this thread, I read many times that DOF also affects the in-cockpit FPS (which would not make sense if it only affected the camera views) (ii) DCS world Nevada looks great, with the exception of what I mentioned before. Textures well within the visual distance appear completely blurred (increasing the visibility range just makes you see blurred images even further out, but the distance when the blurring starts ("blurring distance") is not affected. And I think in DCS at the moment the "blurring distance" is far too close in. So, I wonder what setting I need to change to adjust that. Is it DOF?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

Hey guys, kind of confused here.

So I have 1.5 and it works and its all awesome, I just noticed the 2.0, I have bought the map already but it looks like a totally new download.

So I'm assuming 2.0 is going to be the release build eventually? Is there any reason to keep 1.5 installed? Will 2.0 alpha eventually move to beta?

If there are no answers that's fine just wondering what would be the best to install right now, I generally don't care if it crashes or there are bugs(that I can report) but I'm more curious as to what one of these builds is going to be worked on more.

Thanks!

Does anybody realize that it is impossible to get a difference in focus in the same picture from objects that are hudreds of meters away from the objective...you would need a lens that is several meters in diameter...

Besides we are keyed to that fact and when depth of field is applied to objects that are far away we tend to perceive those objects a small models...

Depth of field is possible within a few meters of the objective (unless you are using the Keck telescope).

Objects that are at infinity, stay at infinity...just as in Las Vegas...

MSI Z170A Titanium Edition mobo + 6700K CPU

32 GB G.Skill TridentZ memory 3200 MHz

Sandisk Extreme Pro 256 GB SSD

Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB M.2 SSD (3 GB/s) for DCS and +.

HP ZR24W Monitor, EVGA GTX 1080ti FE

Thrustmaster Warthog, MFG CrossWind rudder...

and Oculus Rift CV1.

Iousiv, a question on depth of field: it only activates on external views, is there a way to activate inside the cockpit? Maybe editing more setting than on/off by editing the file

Spirit is important: let him fly in the blue sky!

Depth of field, and the lens flare features are there to imitate cameras taking photographs in the virtual world.

Depth of field is a phenomenon that varies with focal length of a lens, and the chosen aperture employed.

Wide angle lenses have very good depth of field, and can appear sharp form sub 1 foot to infinity. Telephoto lenses have extremely narrow depth of field, often down to as little as a few inches.

Aperture also affects depth of field, with a narrow aperture (f16) giving much wider depths of field than wide open apertures (f1.2) giving very narrow ones.

The human eye works in conjunction with the brain, and you will never see any difference in focus from close up to infinity - unless your eyesight is poor of course, when everything will be out of focus, or wavering around - depending on if you are old or simply drunk!

Both lens flare - a result of light interacting with multiple glass elements within a camera lens - and depth of focus are there as features for video or screen captures, to give an element of reality. They should have no place whatsoever when you are flying.

Iousiv, a question on depth of field: it only activates on external views, is there a way to activate inside the cockpit? Maybe editing more setting than on/off by editing the file

I think I read that you can't use depth of field inside the cockpit, but it would be fun, it could be used to simulate blurry peripheral vision in high-g situations...

Other than that though, its really a camera simulation and as was pointed out earlier, human eyes don't perceive depth of fields.

:smartass:

MSI Z170A Titanium Edition mobo + 6700K CPU

32 GB G.Skill TridentZ memory 3200 MHz

Sandisk Extreme Pro 256 GB SSD

Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB M.2 SSD (3 GB/s) for DCS and +.

HP ZR24W Monitor, EVGA GTX 1080ti FE

Thrustmaster Warthog, MFG CrossWind rudder...

and Oculus Rift CV1.

Seen in my sig below, I run with 32GB of extremely fast RAM serving a CPU humming along at 4.6 GHz and two graphics cards in SLI. If I fly downtown LV, I get about 6 fps with everything set to max. I get 120 fps with everything set to off or low. If I fly up high and out in the desert, I usually get around 90 FPS with everything set to max.

In an anomaly, I had once set everything to max and began reducing things to see what was causing the death of the FPS. The first thing I cut off was Distance. Downtown LV gave me in the 80's FPS with everything set to max. I said, "Eureka!" I turned the Distance back to max and, of course, got the 6 FPS again. In a proof of fix, I returned the Distance to zero again. Unfortunately, the FPS did not return as I had thought. My 80's FPS was an anomaly.

I cannot stress enough that this release of 2.0 is in Alpha stage and will... repeat... will have some crippling bugs for a while. It is to be expected. Above all, IT'S HERE! We just have to let the cake cool until we get to eat it!

Something wrong with your puter champ.

I don't have any problems at all in LV, always stuck on 60 using frame rate control and I'm only using an old 290X with no overclock.

All settings on max 2560x1440 DoF off.

Edited by AussieFX
added settings