Flipping switches with left/right clicks

JazonXD

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering why the switch flipping direction is often flipped between different modules, and sometimes within the same module...

For example, every switch I've encountered on the A-10C is LEFT click to flip the switch FORWARD, or ON, or LEFT. Opposite for right click.

However, on the Mirage, many of the switches are opposite (RIGHT click to turn ON) and some switches on another panel of the aircraft is the original, LEFT click to turn ON)...

This is quite annoying and infuriating sometimes... why is this and is there any way I can change this? Thanks.

• Like 1

AMD 5600X -- Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision -- 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 -- HP Reverb G2 -- Logitech 3D Extreme Pro -- Thrustmaster TWCS

BRRRT!  Car and aviation enthusiast, gun nut and computer nerd! 🙂

I agree this is something that needs to be standard across the board. Really annoying that it isn't TBH.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

+1 this would be especially helpful with new modules, where you need to adapt from the previous behaviour.

For newcomers to DCS this must be hell...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

It is not about "wrong or right" it is about consistency.

Jump into the A-10C straight from the Mirage and operate some three way switches...

Hopefully you don't switch off anything important, by accident.

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Just as another quick example:

The Huey. Rotaries on the front dash have left-click drag 'n' turn.

Rotaries for the radios work like: left-right-click operates the outer rotary switch-ring, mouse-wheel operates the inner rotary.

Apart from the fact people without mouse-wheel need keybindings to operate the inner rotary, the Mirage is totally different (right and left wheel-zones).

Even inside the Huey it is difficult, let's say.

When you accidentally left-click and drag the nav radio's left rotary you actually deactivate it, now if you missed the spot and "think you deactivated it", but did not, your correction with a right click puts it in test mode, and you need to lean close in from the Gunner-Pilot seat to check in the current setting?!

You get used to this, but it is an unnecessary complication, especially if you hop into different aircraft regularly, or are a newcomer to DCS.

Shagrat

Huh. man. At least I'm not the only one. I thought I was gonna get a bunch of people saying "deal with it boiiii"

AMD 5600X -- Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision -- 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 -- HP Reverb G2 -- Logitech 3D Extreme Pro -- Thrustmaster TWCS

BRRRT!  Car and aviation enthusiast, gun nut and computer nerd! 🙂

There are multiple threads on this subject but no action has been taken thus far.

There should be a poster, mounted above every programmer's monitor, itemizing the way certain things are to be done. This problem is only going to get worse, and take longer to fix, the longer 3rd parties are allowed to do whatever they feel like, in this regard.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Cockpit governance,... Nice.... :-)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control