AV-8B Harrier Thread

Angelthunder

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really looking forward to the release... Couple questions re Mission Editor for folks in the know.

1. I've been wondering, can you specify the type of takeoff used for AI Harriers? VTOL, Rolling Vertical, STOL, Conventional in the mission editor? Same goes for landings, can you specify it or does the AI automatically chose due to conditions and payload?

2. Wingman Commands... Will they be similar to the A-10 in that there are a couple of ways to command wingmen to attack. Attack targets, attack at my SPI (or whatever the AV-8B equivalent is), attack using (type of munition). Something similar in the works for this machine?

Cheers,

SEDLO

All this talk about carrier landings and just saw this... Might be the wrong place, but though you'd all enjoy anyway

Carrier landings from the old days. https://imgur.com/gallery/ue5Mp

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

i7-7700K 4.2 GHz, Gigabyte GTX 980 4Gb, Asus Prime z270k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600MHz, Plextor PCIe SSD 256Gb, Samsung EVO 750 SSD 500Gb, 9.5TB SATA incl 4TB Mirrored. Saitek X52-Pro

• ED Team
But there are 2 carriers that I know of in game now, will we not be able to use these at all?

And thanks for the replies about version releases people its much appreciated :)

Sorry should have been more specific, I was talking about the new one RAZBAM are adding

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Releasing Harrier today ?

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II

Not to sound like a broken record, but when exactly is it coming out? Around next week? Right?

RIGHT??

RIGHT?!

Releasing Harrier today ?

All release dates are published here. If there are no news there are no news:

attachment.php?attachmentid=172571&stc=1&d=1511353232

...and as a side note, I'm happy to see (in the f-18 subforum) that someone else also dislikes the constant nagging about release dates:

attachment.php?attachmentid=172572&stc=1&d=1511353232

• Like 2

If you don't quiet down, I will turn this thread around! :smartass:

On a more serious note, ED is the one who is going to make the announcement. We cannot and won't comment on the issue.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

A good return to form. If there is a release date given: you would know. And if you didn't, it means you are not following the most important forum thread - the official news.

That said I see no harm in speculation. Those are two different things.

Reading the newsletter should be highly recommended prior to posting on the forums?

• Like 1

DCS Finland | SF squadron

it's all part of the hype and fun.... Like waiting for Santa... It'll be here soon, (if you're not on the naughty list). :-)

• Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

it's all part of the hype and fun.... Like waiting for Santa... It'll be here soon, (if you're not on the naughty list). :-)
I'm always on the naughty list...

on ma mobile

• Like 1

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

leaving-now-grandpa-simpsons.gif?ssl=1

• Like 1

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

/\ /\ /\ Hi Grandpa.......Bye Grandpa biggrin.gif /\ /\

That said I see no harm in speculation. Those are two different things.

Agree here. Folk are just a wee bit excited about this module and impatience may be creeping in a little.

After all "It's a lot more bother with a Hover"!!

Edited by bart
  • Like 1

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

more Nozzle glow @2:15. also a cool channel for harrier vids.

• Like 3

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

Nozzle glow as shown by Razbam atm need to be tweaked for daytime. Way too bright.

They said it would, it's brighter than normal for testing purposes. The video posted was some raw footage from testing.

"It's amazing, even at the Formula 1 level how many drivers still think the brakes are for slowing the car down."

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group 1 | Discord

What is the Loiter Time of the Harrier compared to the A10C?

Is it about the same or is the Harrier on the way back much faster than the A10C?

F/A-18C, AV-8B, Huey, Ka-50, Mig-21, A10C, FC3, BF-109, M2000C, AJS-37, P-51

Ryzen 5 2600 ~4Ghz, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, EVGA GTX 1070

The harrier has less loiter time than the A10 I believe however it's a faster aircraft and because of this it can get to Troops in contact a lot faster than the A10 but at the cost of fuel. However you put a tanker a short flight away and you can easily as with any jet stay on station longer.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Well the strong point of the Harrier is beeing deployed very close to the FEBA in FARPs next to the front so the flight times are very short.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Well the strong point of the Harrier is beeing deployed very close to the FEBA in FARPs next to the front so the flight times are very short.

Except, to my knowledge, they were never used from FARPs in any real conflict. Ships yes, but these are sometimes even further from the target.

Half of the stories in "Joint Force Harrier" and "A nightmare's prayer" are about A2A refuelling or getting hairy low on fuel, or both. Refuelling twice per sortie was nothing unusual.

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

There are plenty of pics, videos and books about the Harrier beeing deployed in the middle of a german forest using FARPS with metal plates for taxi and take off.

Common use in Europe in the Cold War.

Thanks Lord a war in Europe never came so this forward deployment thousands of times used by the RAF Germany never were needed in a real conflict. But yes Harriers were deployed in FARPs in the middle of the German forest next to the FEBA at minutes of the front line, or "supossed" front line.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4