F5 screen goes crazy during flight

Gpruitt54

I recently purchased and installed DCS F5 in DCS World 1.5 and 2.0. Both installs seem to go well. But, when I fly the F5 first thing I notice is that I have to push the stick all the way forward just to maintain level flight. All my other DCS planes do not have this issue. Secondly, during flight, the screen sometimes goes crazy and then comes back to normal. This happens every few minutes.

What is happening? Is there some setting cone wrong?

Edited by Gpruitt54

Seems the plane is trimmed for takeoff. You need to trim it for level flight then. The trim indicator is on the upper left side of the dashboard. The first training mission describes that pretty well.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

Seems the plane is trimmed for takeoff. You need to trim it for level flight then. The trim indicator is on the upper left side of the dashboard. The first training mission describes that pretty well.

There are no training missions for the F-5E, at least with the default installation. I am using DCS World 2.0 and I see no training missions. Are you referring to one of the F-5 campaign add-ons?

Edited by Gpruitt54

There are no training missions for the F-5E, at least with the default installation.

Yes, there are ... on DCS 1.5 only; 2.0 doesnt have.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I forgot to mention that when the screen goes nuts and blacks out, I switch to external view and the whole plane is shuttering during the shuttering the stick cannot control the plane. There is no roll or pitch control during the shuttering.

What is that all about?

Are you not blacking out? If you pull too many Gs you'll black out (it happens very quickly in the F5)

It seems that I am blacking out. However, when I switch to the external view. I see that the plane is shuttering.

Any idea why this happens?

It seems that I am blacking out. However, when I switch to the external view. I see that the plane is shuttering.

Any idea why this happens?

What do you mean by stuttering?

Stuttering, like the AI does when it flies at very low speed vertical

or

Stuttering, like your wings are shaking?

Hi Gpruitt54,

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I posted about that here - it seems I black out when reaching a certain airspeed. At least that was the case until the last update. After that, I didn't notice that behavior anymore.

I could recover from that state by using the trim button and losing speed. By "shuttering", I suppose, you mean the tiger is shaking like crazy? At least in my case it did.

Which exact version of DCS do you use?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=188278

Modules: F-14A/B | M-2000C | AJS-37 | Mi-24P F/A-18C | A-10C II | F-16C | UH-1H | F-5E | Mi-8 | FC 3 | AV-8B | A-4E | Gazelle | Ka-50 | Yak-52 | CE2

Maps: Syria | Marianas | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Caucasus

Setup: Virpil WarBRD Base & VFX TM Warthog | Arozzi Velocita Stand | Monstertech Mount | MFG Crosswind | Cougar MFDs | VRInsight Panel | JetSeat 908 | TrackIR

Hi Gpruitt54,

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I posted about that here - it seems I black out when reaching a certain airspeed. At least that was the case until the last update. After that, I didn't notice that behavior anymore.

I could recover from that state by using the trim button and losing speed. By "shuttering", I suppose, you mean the tiger is shaking like crazy? At least in my case it did.

Which exact version of DCS do you use?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=188278

This is happening with Version 1.5 as well as 2.0 of DCS World.

I have many DCS modules. I bought the F-5E module last week during the sale.

This issue only happens with the F-5E

oh, then it's normal. Here's an example of a Hornet with rudder flutter:

(4.15)

I assume it has to do with aeroelastic flutter. Google it and a lot of examples will come up, but I don't know if it is this.

Here a bit of flutter from the F-18:

(and at 5.27 too a bit)

and from the F-5B:

Edited by razo+r

Are you flying the aircraft in a clean configuration? If so, I previously reported, months ago, that this happens in and around an airspeed of 450 kts. I've never heard that the builders corrected this. Usually you black out and if you are lucky, the jet will slow down and you can regain control. If this is it, put some weapons or tank on it.

Are you flying the aircraft in a clean configuration? If so, I previously reported, months ago, that this happens in and around an airspeed of 450 kts. I've never heard that the builders corrected this. Usually you black out and if you are lucky, the jet will slow down and you can regain control. If this is it, put some weapons or tank on it.

That's a weird one. I'm flying the F-5 almost exclusively and most of the time without any external loads and never experienced this problem.

Maybe it's related to a low frame rate?

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

That's a weird one. I'm flying the F-5 almost exclusively and most of the time without any external loads and never experienced this problem.

Maybe it's related to a low frame rate?

Out of all the DCS modules I have, the F-5 is the only module experiencing this.

Also, I tried lowering quality setting in order to eliminate frame issues, with no change.

As with all my DCS modules, I run with full res settings.

oh, then it's normal. Here's an example of a Hornet with rudder flutter:
(4.15)

I assume it has to do with aeroelastic flutter. Google it and a lot of examples will come up, but I don't know if it is this.

Here a bit of flutter from the F-18:

(and at 5.27 too a bit)

and from the F-5B:

So, I black out and the plane, wings and all flutters because I am not flying fast enough?

I forgot to mention that when the screen goes nuts and blacks out, I switch to external view and the whole plane is shuttering during the shuttering the stick cannot control the plane. There is no roll or pitch control during the shuttering.

What is that all about?

I have this same problem.

I have this same problem.

Glad to know I am not the only one with this problem.

I cannot understand how a simple shuttering of the plane would pilot to blackout. However, I do understand why I cannot control the plane in the external view. It's because the pilot is unconscious, and therefore unable to move the stick or anything else for that matter.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you find a solution? I don't think its a double bound axis, since - at least in my case - the problem occurs only at higher speeds, depending on my altitude.

Modules: F-14A/B | M-2000C | AJS-37 | Mi-24P F/A-18C | A-10C II | F-16C | UH-1H | F-5E | Mi-8 | FC 3 | AV-8B | A-4E | Gazelle | Ka-50 | Yak-52 | CE2

Maps: Syria | Marianas | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Caucasus

Setup: Virpil WarBRD Base & VFX TM Warthog | Arozzi Velocita Stand | Monstertech Mount | MFG Crosswind | Cougar MFDs | VRInsight Panel | JetSeat 908 | TrackIR