Aerial Gunnery

The current 23mm gun is a bit different then on the MIG-21. It has quite a bit of trajectory drop compared to the 23mm laser gun of the Leatherneck MiG-21. The manual states this on page 244

GS-23L is a 23-mm twin-barrel aircraft gun designed for combating air targets and lightly armoured ground (sea) targets.

But there are no instructions on how to use it on aerial targets. We've got a gyro stabilized gunsight so in theory it should be possible to hit manouvring targets quite accuratly. (if they are not too fast of course) In order to do this effectivly, we need to know what the distance is that the bullet stream crosses the crosshair again.The way I see it is that the gun shoots upwards a bit (through the "zero" of the gunsight) and after a little while, the bullets will inevitable drop below the gunsight again. So it crosses the gunsight middle twice. Is there any data on this? It is essential to know for aerial gunnery.

Happy Flying! :pilotfly:

I have no actual data but I do know this from my own experience: the gun is useless in a dogfight. Why? Well the very second you bank or turn...the gun gets blocked by the weapons system :(

You CAN hit the unblock-guns button, of course, but having done that you will eventually get system errors...followed by actual system failures...followed by you ejecting ;) I was even warned about this by a guy in this forum but I just shrugged him off, thinking it won't happen anything at all. But it did...so I was very stupid, I admit :)

Another thing (while were talking stupid) is to use gunpods in a dogfight. That you can do but only use two. Four gunpods will produce such massive drag/weight that you just can't get anywhere near getting at the enemy. With two gunpods you can at least get on the tail of a Hawk. But you will have to shoot the Hawk full of lead for a LONG time before it crashes.

Sorry for this long half-rant ;)

I need to say that all this is MY take on things. It's not absolute undisputable facts, it's my OPINION on the matter.

The ASP model that we have in the L-39 is accurate in the AA according to references manuals for non-maneuverable targets or targets maneuvering at a maximun of +2G. The Fixed mode must be used for attack a target maneuvering at +2G.

Set the estimated wingspan and adjust the distance with the "distance selector" in the throttle. For a given wingspan, move the "distance selector", to the point that the inner points of the "diamond ring" touches the target.

It´s like a classic Gyrosight.

The ASP-PD model of the real 21bis, according to technical suplements and flight operations manuals, has the same limitations and for a dogfight, the technical manuals state that the Fixed position must be used alongside with the fixed grid, making the correspondent calculations in radii for the distance, wingspan and angles.

Sorry for my english.

Set the estimated wingspan and adjust the distance with the "distance selector" in the throttle. For a given wingspan, move the "distance selector", to the point that the inner points of the "diamond ring" touches the target.

You're English is fine.

Decreasing the distance is mapped to the period (.) key and increase is mapped to the semi-colon (;). I waived my mouse cursor all around the throttle to see if there was a clickable control and could not find one.

Win 10 | i7 4770 @ 3.5GHz | 32GB DDR3 | 6 GB GTX1060