can track files be edited?

skypickle

AFAIK no

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

I'm not sure how far you got.

The trk files are actually a zip of the mission, set up and 'action'

Change the ".trk" suffix to ".zip" & unzip it.

You can edit the 'mission' part of it, re-zip (Ironhand does it quite a lot to change aircraft in tracks)

As far as I know you can't edit the 'action' part of the file though. It really is a binary.

Cheers.

I would like to be able to trim a track file to only the relevant thing I am trying to show. Is there an app for that? The track file is binary so I cant even read it. Can it be decompiled to something a human can read?

Tracks in DCS are not recordings of events, but mission files, which are loaded and simulated again from the get go. Only control inputs are recorded so that when the the track (mission) is played for another time, the computer can try to repeat the units movements as closely to previous time as possible (with mixed results, unfortunately).

That means, that you can't trim tracks, because, technically, there's nothing trimmable in them.

Well, you can kind of "trim" the ending of them - play the track to some point, hit Esc, choose "take control" (from now on you don't play the track but fly the mission), end the mission, save as another, shorter track. But that's about it.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Well, i opened a trk file by renaming it as .zip. The contents are 5 folders and 4 files

The folders are :

Config

I10n

Scripts

track

track_data

and the files are

mission

options

theatre

warehouses

The two largest files are the one in the root named mission (59kb) which describes the setting. Every single thing in the mission that is part of the setting. It looks like xml and is here

https://gist.github.com/bwanaaa/bfe588c4673f8a99d8da3792f364cf1e

(The upload facility here would not allow an attachment)

The largest file is in the folder named track. and it is a file named, action (2933kb) Unfortunately it's all binary

Edited by skypickle

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal