DCS: de Havilland DH.98 Mosquito FB Mk VI Discussion

msalama

Does anyone have Mossie pilot autobiography they can recommend?

Thanks

“Terror in the starboard seat” by Dave McIntosh.

The best written autobiography that I have read and by a good margin too. Dave was a navigator in no. 418 RCAF squadron, one of two mosquito squadrons dedicated to intruder operations and produced a good number of mosquito aces. Dave describes his 41 missions beautifully mixing sarcasm with the sheer terror that he felt on many.

His number 40 mission was a crazy single mossie “day ranger” operation that actually spanned two days and won Sid (the pilot) and Dave their DFC.

Highly recommend.

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

• 4 weeks later...
Does anyone remember if this was a rough timeline on this one? Like early 2021 or late 21?

There is no timeline.

The most recent statement I can find was from ED was by the CEO (Kate Perederko) in April, who said that the Mosquito was in "passive development" and no resources had been allocated to it. This was clarified as:

Projects that are in the passive development phase (waiting for a 3D model delivery, developers allocation, reference gathering stage or one of the current active project to be finished first):
Ref: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4287187

If someone knows of anything official that is more recent, please post the link.

Hmm, I thought I had read someone saying it was in a flyable state. That would suggest more than passive development but I could be wrong.

I really, really wish you were right. But this is the usual problem, I'm afraid. Someone vaguely remembers thinking that someone said something that they had read on somewhere. That in turn was not quite right, misinterpretted or somehow embellished with wishful thinking. I do that the whole time. :-\

The most recent official news I can find is here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4287187

(I just did a more thorough search too, but no... that's still the most recent I can find. Before that was just a post about the Mosquito being after the P-47. That was back at the beginning of January; REF)

Anyway, if someone knows of anything official that is more recent, please post the link.

I believe Nick Grey commented in the relatively recent interview he gave it's definitely next and going well in development. Don't remember mention to date, but might be 2021.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Yep, I think the problem is I remember it from am interview and can't remember where to look. I appreciate the help though. I'm pretty sure its relatively near though. Like 18 month window? But of course thats the vague recollection Diedrich mentions.
My memory is weak, but just in case look for the interview Growling Sidewinder made to Nick Grey not long ago.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

In the Kate Perederko interview during last weekends live 24hr event for Mind charity (fantastic event BTW) she mentioned that the Mosquito development is going on underneath the work on the F18 and the bug fixing. Reading into this my thinking is it's currently in active development now but not at a stage to which they can show us anything yet.

This is one module my SSD is just crying out for!, I personally can't wait to see more info on it, it's going to be great flying this bird in VR. I just hope they model how small and cramped it really is in the cockpit and that this comes across when you are in it in VR.

Edited by bart

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

I'd request that a condition for ea release would be having all the engine systems and damage modelled correctly. Shouldn't be hard since they already have the merlin fleshed out for the spitfire.

By Yo-Yo, the main problem has been build a real multiengine aircraft and asociate system working together on a WW2 piston aircraft. The damage model has part of core, and meanwhile a merlin engine has building on a Spitfire, the interaction can be diferent on a Mosquito, Lancaster, Beaufighter, Hurricane or other aircraft with that engine.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

In the Kate Perederko interview during last weekends live 24hr event for Mind charity (fantastic event BTW) she mentioned that the Mosquito development is going on underneath the work on the F18 and the bug fixing.

Thanks for providing something concrete. I went and looked it up. Here is the reference and start time, if anyone wants to listen to it for themselves.

(starting 49:27)

The transcript of the relevant section is:

Right now we focus on Mi24. We definitely focus on F18. Maverick and HARM will come will come with the next F16. Hopefully you will like it because we started the testing phase of missiles 2 weeks ago and it seems that it is in a good shape and ready to be delivered to open beta and Mosquito is underneath.
-- Katia Peredenko, ED CEO

I think it is difficult to interpret what that actually means, but that's the actual quote.

By Yo-Yo, the main problem has been build a real multiengine aircraft and asociate system working together on a WW2 piston aircraft. The damage model has part of core, and meanwhile a merlin engine has building on a Spitfire, the interaction can be diferent on a Mosquito, Lancaster, Beaufighter, Hurricane or other aircraft with that engine.

Merlins on a Beaufighter?! HERESY! :chair:

I’ve heard of these mongrels, but real pure blood Beaus pack a pair of Herculeses!

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

Thanks for providing something concrete. I went and looked it up. Here is the reference and start time, if anyone wants to listen to it for themselves.

(starting 49:27)

The transcript of the relevant section is:

-- Katia Peredenko, ED CEO

I think it is difficult to interpret what that actually means, but that's the actual quote.

Nick Grey said in a Growling Sidewinder interview (I think it was the P-47 one) that the Mosquito was aimed for the end of the year. They wanted also to test the flight model with someone with experience flying the plane in real life, but then COVID hapened and these plans were delayed to October 2020.

I don't know if this remains true or plans have changed.

Didn't Nick say he wanted a friend of his who has an example mosquito try the DCS version before it could be released, and that that trial couldn't happen until at least September?

THIS, but I think Nick said October.

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

• 2 weeks later...
So is it going to be fighter-bomber version? Why not Bomber? DCS has enough pew-pew gameplay, we need multicrew bomber with bombsight, I guess...

Personally I will be disappointed if there will no bomber version in future.

Build a bomber version need build bomber cockpit, acurated bombsight, bomber controls, associated system and warload. Meanwhile, build a FB version has more easy with a bomber. Not bad if ED can make a multicrew bomber on a future.

Build a bomber version need build bomber cockpit, acurated bombsight, bomber controls, associated system and warload. Meanwhile, build a FB version has more easy with a bomber. Not bad if ED can make a multicrew bomber on a future.

I understand, just multicrew bomber would bring absolutely new gameplay to DCS. Sure I'm not alone with this opinion and bomber version will worth for ED.

At least I hope FB version will have multicrew?

The release of the Mosquito is going to be what gets me to try WWII in DCS. For some reason, the Mosquito has always fascinated me, ever since I heard about it when I was a kid. I have always wanted to fly one.

That’s my kind of lad. The announcement of a forthcoming mosquito module is what made me come to DCS (got a Mig21 and P47 to pass the time till its arrival).

I can trace back to the exact time and place when I first learned about the mosquito - just about 40 years ago, me as a kid looking at an old (even then) photos album of the Israeli Airforce, a full page portrait photo of a pilot standing under the nose of a Mosquito and my aunt reading the captions to me, a few words about the Mosquitoes service in the Israeli airforce. I remember being amused by the name “mosquito”. I am a fan ever since.

There are rare occasions in history when engineering and art get tangled up and end up with a machine that is not only extraordinary in its function, but also so beautiful that you can put it on a pedestal at a gallery and call it art.

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

So is it going to be fighter-bomber version? Why not Bomber? DCS has enough pew-pew gameplay, we need multicrew bomber with bombsight, I guess...

Personally I will be disappointed if there will no bomber version in future.

To have an era relevant dedicated bomber variant would mean a B.Mk.XVI - these were used almost exclusively at night on raids against German cities from bases in the north and east of England.

We have no map that accurately reflects this AO and little in the way of assets to accurately represent the night combat conditions.

The B.Mk.IV was used a great deal in daylight ops but even by mid 1943 it was realised that it's performance advantages against the Luftwaffe fighters was diminishing and they were withdrawn, the FB.VI units taking over the low level daylight light strike and interdiction role thereafter.

Ergo having an unarmed aircraft that could be run down by the in game opposing types is probably asking a bit much of DCS Mosquito drivers.

I understand, just multicrew bomber would bring absolutely new gameplay to DCS. Sure I'm not alone with this opinion and bomber version will worth for ED.

At least I hope FB version will have multicrew?

Multi-crew on the FB.VI will be a neat start for the ability of another player to sit in your plane and able to flip switches in the cockpit. It does not require any additional modeling of systems (unlike in a bomber version with a bomb sight), but as far as I know the basic game mechanics that allow two players to sit in the same plane do not exist (not available in the F-14 right?), and FB.VI can be the 1st to showcase this ability - even though its usefulness will be quite limited.

I would love to have a late bomber Mossie, but I’d say that in the current state of WWII DCS that is not the best model to add first.

- Geoffrey de Havilland.