Two point landings

Pelican

Hello everyone,

Could someone give me tips on how to do a perfect 2 pointer in a spitfire? I try to kiss the ground at about 100-90 mph in order to keep the tail up and apply rudder adjustments but she starts skidding and sliding vigorously.

I can execute perfect 3 pointers but I could do with some tips on performing 2 pointers with the Spitfire.

------------------Pelican------------------

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Keep your speed a little high- typically touching at 110 MPH. Allow the aircraft to settle onto the runway and apply gentle but positive forward stick to pin the main gear to the runway, then allow the speed to drop below stalling speed before pulling the stick back gently to lower the tail wheel.

Once the tail wheel is down, full up elevator will maintain lateral stability.

Finally, use the rudder and brakes to maintain a straight track until the aircraft comes to a complete stop.

Keep your speed a little high- typically touching at 110 MPH. Allow the aircraft to settle onto the runway and apply gentle but positive forward stick to pin the main gear to the runway, then allow the speed to drop below stalling speed before pulling the stick back gently to lower the tail wheel.

Once the tail wheel is down, full up elevator will maintain lateral stability.

Finally, use the rudder and brakes to maintain a straight track until the aircraft comes to a complete stop.

You make it sound so easy. Practice, practice, practice! :D

Justificus

System Specs:

i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C I+II, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf, Mig-19P, I-16, Super Carrier, F-16, Channel, Syria

Cheers mate. I'll try that out and report on how I did. I'm just practising day and night as I just got my tailwheel certification done and a friend of mine has arranged for us to go flying tandem in a real Spit.

------------------Pelican------------------

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cheers mate. I'll try that out and report on how I did. I'm just practising day and night as I just got my tailwheel certification done and a friend of mine has arranged for us to go flying tandem in a real Spit.

Get out! You lucky SOB! ;p

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

A 2-point wheeler is useful in a cross-wind, since you can kick off the drift and positively put the aircraft on the ground. In a 3-point if you get it wrong, or there is a sudden gust, you can get a lot of sideways drift which can damage the gear.

It's also better if you want to practice 'rollers', that is touch-and-goes.

Finally, you can cheat in spot landing competitions. While flying level at 1-2 ft agl at almost any speed you can put the wheels exactly on the right spot, by a judicious push. That said, you would probably be marked down for the bounce!!!

Yeeeeah, my CFI always told me a wheel landing in a cross wind is a cheat for someone who can't do a proper 3-pointer and slip the crosswind properly. I was always drilled doing touch-n-go's 3-point only to ensure I was capable of keeping the thing straight on rollout. I don't entirely understand the purpose of training for 2-pt landings but to each their own!

• 4 weeks later...

the RAF didn't use the 2 point landing as their landing of choice for such mundane reasons as practicality and function.

they chose it because it harder. and it looks prettier and more professional to spectators.

like air vice marshals watching a squadron land...

and because everyone else uses a 3 point..

and they turned out to be right too...

watching countless spitfires do graceful and beautiful 2 point landings all helped build the legend.. the icon... that is spitfire...

because the 2 pointer looked great on pathe news.. we have hours of footage..

in the battle of Britain, when Germany is starting to feel the loses in pilots, they then see news real footage of british replacements doing pretty 2 pointers..

when their replacements can barely do 3 pointers..

so it was a propaganda win..

in my best Kennedy voice "we do this thing, not because it is easy, but because it is difficult"...

to show off our professionalism..

anyone can 3 point...

the kind of pointless bravado that ends up helping to win wars..

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.