P-40F Preview With Mudspike

LOL, Huey (and the rest Belsimtek toys) is simply incomparable to HAWK in its current state - not in favor of the latter, of course.

I didn't compare the Huey or any other "toys" against the Hawk, I compared the internal modeling of hydraulics, engine thermodynamics and their effects on the flight behaviour.

I love to fly the Huey, as well as the Hawk (EFM bugs currently getting squashed one after the other :thumbup:)

The Huey is a helicopter, released a while ago and the Hawk a jet and still in beta.

The Hawk ASMs hydraulic simulation is actually one of the most detailed we have in DCS (PMan correct me if I'm wrong).

It even models rather than emulates the pressure differences in the system when "using" hydraulic power for the control surfaces and or gear.

As the P-40F models the same depth of systems in its ASM, so "damage" or "mistreatment" of the related systems will automatically have an impact, and don't need a "damage effect" that gets called, only if a certain trigger value is reached.

Ok, you won't notice much difference at a glance, but it is another detail in the background, making the planes feel much more alive.

...and yes, the Hawk EFM itself is feeling incredibly good and responsive.

If the last remaining bugs are ironed out, it's a very lively, nimble plane, that handles just "right", compared to the competition.

By the way, anyone heard any news about the C-101 EFM and ASM?

As I have flown the P-40F at Duxford I can say I feel the same with her.

In tight turns and rolls it feels just right, like you would expect. You can feel and judge the momentum very precise. And after a few minutes and some maneuvers, you can well anticipate necessary inputs...

Again a big thumbs up to VEAO, the P-40F is coming along very nice, all the hardship was definitely worth it, considering the end result.

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

The Hawk ASMs hydraulic simulation is actually one of the most detailed we have in DCS (PMan correct me if I'm wrong).
Well, that's a very promising and serious statement - are there any proofs yet available? Description of the system simulation, possible malfunctions, impacts of the flight behavior, etc? I'd really appreciate this info published, any of it.

All in all, I can't agree that the above-said may be actually perceived in flight as of now - even flaps out do not create any seizable moments. An easy thing to notice, especially when you have other planes to compare. That's why I'm so curious about the data.

EFM bugs currently getting squashed one after the other
Do I read you correctly - VEAO finally managed to fix that negative G flat spin issue?
Edited by Scorzy
Well, that's a very promising and serious statement - are there any proofs yet available? Description of the system simulation, possible malfunctions, impacts of the flight behavior, etc? I'd really appreciate this info published, any of it.

All in all, I can't agree that the above-said may be actually perceived in flight as of now - even flaps out do not create any seizable moments. An easy thing to notice, especially when you have other planes to compare. That's why I'm so curious about the data.

Do I read you correctly - VEAO finally managed to fix that negative G flat spin issue?

There is a problem with “jittering“ on the X-55 stick, that causes the flightstick on the plane to move a tiny bit in rapid succession. As the hydraulic system is directly connected to the stick and surfaces, it bleeds hydraulic pressure from the system, so you haven't enough power left to operate gears or flaps.

You can see this when quickly wiggeling the stick and monitor the hydraulic gauges.

A lot of quick inputs and gear operations will reduce the pressure.

As unfortunate it is currently for some X-55 owners, it is a side effect of the detailed fluid and pressure modeling.

Ok, under normal operating conditions the hydraulic pump will resupply enough pressure quickly enough, but in case of a leak/damage or excessive a abuse of the controls the system reacts like in real live. :)

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Looks great!

Just a little quibble, I said it before a year ago, the external textures are far too dark.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Well, there's definitely no intention from my side to twist direction of the thread whatsoever. I just hope that P-40 will roll out smoothly whilst lacking issues that feature the aircraft aggrandized in the texts above.

I hope as well... about the "damages" modeled, I don't know what exact impacts are modeled.

But considering the infos from the mudspike article about the specific "quirks" in the P-40F ASM/EFM, a logical conclusion would be, there are no "possible malfunctions" in that sence.

There should be something like a "hydraulic circuit leak in line A" or "line B". Now depending on input from the pilot the fluid modeling should direct pressure to the system for the control surface and if the damaged line is a part of it, more fluid should be leaking and reduce pressure? I'm very eager to try that soon.

What I noticed is that judging the control input necessary in turns and rolls feels very natural.

After a few maneuvers I knew how much to move the stick and when to set it back to neutral.

Other planes took me a lot longer to judge that. P-40F EFM rocks! :D

Shagrat

All of our aircraft have been modelled to schematic level.

This allows for wear and tear modelling, damage modelling, accurate pressure loss, Etc.

The X-55 actually demonstrates the hyd press loss very well in Hawk.

And as Shagrat said if you fly with a lot of surfaces using hyd you'll see hyd2 bleed. This is accurate to real life.

Again with P-40 the hyd system has been modelled accurately and the gear/flap mechanism for this is a good example.

We'll be posting videos of some things in the coming weeks which you'll pick up in these idiosyncrasies.

Thanks,

Chris.

P40-13.jpg

P40-19.jpg

Don't forget that the sim is casting light differently than in real life and whatever that other sim pictures you posted from (FSX?).

It actually looks quite different in NTTR map than 1.5.4 due to the lighting conditions in NTTR map.

Here is pretty much the same shot in 1.5.4. on the old graphics engine (not EDGE).

Timing of the mission and position of the sun really changes the colour throughout the day also (below is later in the day).

Screen_160715_140354.jpg

And darn pilots have no respect for keeping switches in good condition these days....sigh

Screen_160715_140410.jpg

Screen_160715_140415.jpg

Chris

Edited by Ells228

You are assuming that the cameras the pictures are taken with are calibrated as well, especially in the WB scale.

The option is always there for the community to tweak the colours if they so wish after release :)

Pman

Not to mention monitor qualities, they look pretty good on my side, I am not seeing any extra blue. My screen is colour calibrated for work purposes too.

You're right, it's always something to take into account. Hopefully, my monitor has an IPS panel calibrated at the factory so in theory it should be good. Looking back at the shots, I'll admit I was wrong to talk about blue but it definitely looks like there is a pale broccoli green going on there :D

You are assuming that the cameras the pictures are taken with are calibrated as well, especially in the WB scale.

The option is always there for the community to tweak the colours if they so wish after release :)

Pman

True. I understand you're not going to change it only based on my feedback. Color work can be a bit tricky and the input of different people is indeed needed before deciding to make any change.

Edited by Nooch

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I agree with you to an extent when you compare the 1.5.4 and 2.0.2 shots side by side (I edited my post).

The actual graphics templates when you open them in PS also look a different colour.

We are at the mercy of the sim graphics engine and how the sun lights the cockpit for which these have been optimised for.

It looks darker at night if that helps ;)

Having sat in the cockpit many times up at Dux it's surprising how different the actual paint looks when out on the grass compared to in the hangar with artificial lighting and then when the hangar doors are open.

I think we have a happy compromise to get the best out of the sim engine and similar to other DCS aircraft compared to their real life counterparts.

When you get it you'll see how quite different 2.0.2 looks to 1.5.4 yet the colour is the same in both versions.

Thanks for your comments,

Chris.

Edited by Ells228

Nice read! And what a fabulous cockpit, it looks amazing.

By the way VR is changing all preconcepts of immersion, its just in another.... dimension? Compared to everything we had to make us feel we are there, i just got my occulus rift a week ago and i still cant believe how well its running with DCS. Experiencing being inside the cockpits is just in a complete different level than before, the feeling is totally different than just looking at it in your monitor.

Anyway keep up the good work!

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

Nice read! And what a fabulous cockpit, it looks amazing.

By the way VR is changing all preconcepts of immersion, its just in another.... dimension? Compared to everything we had to make us feel we are there, i just got my occulus rift a week ago and i still cant believe how well its running with DCS. Experiencing being inside the cockpits is just in a complete different level than before, the feeling is totally different than just looking at it in your monitor.

Anyway keep up the good work!

Couldn't agree more, it really is a different world :)

You will love P-40 in VR, I can't stop looking at it :D

Pman

• 2 weeks later...

Well just read mudspike preview, it's nice !

But screenshots don't allow me to have any appreciation to the external model, they 're too dark, we can't realy see details.

In the same way i can't see any modeled glace on the birdcage, no sun reflexion, no distortion of the pilot/mountains through it... still in WIP ?