VKB Gladiator Pro - Quick Review

I received by Gladiator Pro yesterday.

Pics:

20160830_173658.jpg

20160830_173934.jpg

20160830_190008.jpg

Quick Review:

**TLDR - Works better than advertised. Best stick I have ever owned in more than 20 years of flight simming. Kicking myself for not getting a Mamba when they were available, and looking forward to future VKB products with eager anticipation.***

1. Construction - Very solidly built. All the buttons have a very premium feel to them, and the unit as a whole does not feel cheap in any way.

2. Function - No calibration needed. X/Y Axes are perfectly precise, and every button press is solid and responsive. Out of the box the gimbal is setup with more resistance than CH or Saitek sticks, and less than a TM Warthog (my TM:WH experience is limited to store models on the shelf). It is smooth with no hitch when crossing center or mixing axes. Best feeling stick (that is what she said...) I have ever used.

3. Setup - Plug and play. I plugged the T-Rudder MK-IVs into the Glad-Pro using he provided port+CAT5 cable, and it simply added another axis. No muss and no fuss. Software is a bit lacking. The Wizzo (v0_73) software is simple, but I could find no way to remap buttons. The VKB config software (VKBDevCfg-C_0_77_2_6) crashes when I try to open the button mapping wizard. I would really love to remap the pinky button on the stick as a regular button, but I haven't found a way to make that happen yet.

4. IL2:BoS and DCS (about 2 hours testing): Coming from a CH Fighterstick, and then a Cobra M5, the movement of the Glad-Pro is a revelation. I saw an immediate improvement lining up guns passes in IL2. I quickly realized that I was over correcting trying to anticipate the "hitch" when making fine adjustments to X/Y that has always been present in every other stick I have used. Once I stopped over correcting, I could easily put the pipper on target and gently squeeze. I noticed the same thing flying the Huey in DCS. Once I stopped over correcting, I was able to fly 100% more smoothly.

Thoughts.....

I knew I would miss the extra hats and buttons on the CH Fighterstick and Cobra M5. Over the past few weeks I have weaned myself off of using more than 1 hat on the stick (moving functions to the hats on my CH Pro Throttle), but I know it won't be long before I will be looking to find a way to add more hats/buttons. The Cobra M5 handle is not a direct swap, but I think with an adapter for the base and the wiring, it would be a simple upgrade. Hopefully someone is working on such an option. My current plan is to grab a WH adapter as soon as they are available and to keep an eye out for an FLCS, Cougar, or WH handle.

• Like 1

Nice review, thanks for sharing!

Good to see some of those Pros actually shipping and getting into some users hands finally.

I think I am still going to hold out and see about the Gunfighter whenever it gets released.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

As a BM MkIII owner (and a Gladiator), I have no doubt you've entered improvement-land ;)

The VKB config software (VKBDevCfg-C_0_77_2_6) crashes when I try to open the button mapping wizard. I would really love to remap the pinky button on the stick as a regular button, but I haven't found a way to make that happen yet.

You should ask for help on the official forum. I know VKB is constantly working on the software and firmware updates.

The latest version of the config sofware is available >>> HERE <<< (v0.77.55)

Edited by Bourrinopathe

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

• 1 month later...

I just acquired a Gladiator Pro and I must say that I am disappointed in one specific area.

No Documentation.

At this price point, a simple link to some cam/spring swapping videos, at the very least, would have been nice.

The stick is nice but having to troll forums just to find the answers to basic questions leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Curious is that OEM versions (AIRROW, Javelin) of Gladiator "vanila" come with 1/2 page "manuals" showing buttons layout at least. :)

VKB videos "how to":

http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewforum.php?f=27&sid=fc8d499459bbced35e99402711638654

Their VKB Config Software (VCS) still has not English documentation until now.

Although powerful, can do most of TARGET do - without need of software running in games background - but "complicated" and can be considered "WiP". :)

A difficult to find information is what spring (white, green, blue... dot) has more resistance, see in VKB forum but don't find again.

Edited by Sokol1_br

If they want to maintain a distributor in the U.S. then they really need to step up their game. Selling on Amazon without documentation or a useable software suite is going to garner many bad reviews.

Spending less time on pretty videos and more on proper documentation would go a long way.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Since VKB still "in the future":

(VKB: ) So it planned. Gladiator run in 3 software with different levels of functionality.

1) Wizzo

2) Wizzo Pro

3) VKBDev-Cfg

WIZZO - Calibration/deadzones utility (for the guys that became scared with program with more than one option). :)

WIZZO PRO - The above with basic capacity to change buttons layout/configuration (I guess).

VKB Device Config - The actual powerful, but... undocumented.

If by "software suite" you mean those that "press joy buttons for press keyboard keys to execute commands in games" they don't plan this - EDIT - at least for a while.

Edited by Sokol1_br

Cichlidfan, I agree that a documentation should ship with a "premium" product. But honestly, It's a joystick... you know. Software and manuals? Please... We're on Win10 know, no need to be disappointed about unneeded stuff :huh: Just plug and play and have a good time :joystick:

The thing is that the controller is pretty powerful and offers interesting programming capabilities.

Without a detailed manual it's easy to get lost in the VKB Device Config software.

For the stubborn users, there's that russian manual.

You'll have to struggle with Google translate and some experimentation but it's definitely possible to create a complex profile.

You can also find some links in that sticky on the official forum and also ask for help about specific functions.

A proper english/french/german/spanish manual would be great, but unfortunately VKB is not Logitech-powerful.

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

Nope.

Here's that manual (added 10/6, guess why :music_whistling: ): http://ftp.vkb-sim.pro/Documentations/Gladiator_User_Manual.pdf

For ones that need "press joystick buttons for press keyboard keys to execute commands in games" :D VKB recommend use SVMapper, available there: http://ftp.vkb-sim.pro/Programms/

SVMapper.jpg

http://s10.postimg.org/5ian4kort/SVMapper_2.jpg

This keymapper don't require install, just drop in folder and make a shortcut for the .exe adding "Run as Administrator" or Windows UAC can prevent games to see keypress.

Has simple interface and allow basic Windows modifier +keys, delay, repeat, mapped on press/mapped on release - not really useful for momentary only buttons, and profiles.

Don't manage axis.

SVMapper use few computer resources, can be started after games, reconfigured "on the fly" and don't cause eventual BSOD like some famous "suites". ;)

Joy2Key or Xpadder is too suitable options.

Edited by Sokol1_br

For ones that need "press joystick buttons for press keyboard keys to execute commands in games" :D VKB recommend use SVMapper, available there: http://ftp.vkb-sim.pro/Programms/

Sounds like they decided " press joystick button for press keyboard key", as TM does, was not such a bad thing after all.

:D

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 1 month later...

Gladiator Pro Received, still no doc

I received my Gladiator Pro today, and there is still no documentation on how to put the thing together, change springs etc, and what the different spring colors relate to in terms of mm/N.

I managed to put the thing together and it seems to work, but for a product at this price level I think one is entitled to professional documentation to download.

For the time being I abstain from messing with springs as I'm very good at taking things apart, but very bad at getting them back together - and working.

I have a feeling that VKB are struggling to get their act together. I looked at their webstore today, and it's still impossible to order the Gladiator Pro.

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Missing Documentation

Response from Eduard:

We are busy with the manual specifically for Gladiator Pro. It will include the needed information about springs and cams. At the moment I can tell you that there are the following cams:

• 10 - this cam provides soft centering
  • 30 - this cam provides hard centering
  • W - this cam is specially for Warthog grip to compensate its imbalance

The springs are marked with color dots differ based on stiffness .

From weaker to stiffer:

• white

• yellow - such springs are installed by default and the single spring is just a spare one
  • green
  • blue
  • black - only to be used with grip extension, Warthog grip or both

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 3 months later...

can we use cobra m5 or ch fighter grips with gladiator pro?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Cobra M5 grip yes - if the suitable adapter became available, VKB say that will release in that traditional schedule "two weeks, be sure.™" :lol:

CH grips no, I ask about two times, but VKB say that has no plan for make adapters for then. :huh:

Edited by Sokol1_br

Cobra M5 grip yes - if the suitable adapter became available, VKB say that will release in that traditional schedule "two weeks, be sure.™" :lol:

I can confirm that Cobra M5/Mamba grip adapters are coming. But no ETA as of yet. So the proverbial "Two weeks" meme applies here for sure - as Sokol mentioned. :music_whistling:

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

good.

so, if i buy this pro mk2 stick, will i see dramatic difference between my current 2 sticks? i don't want to turn my home into joystick warehouse :) it should worth buying a 3rd joystick

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

If you own Gladiator PRO no much reason for buy Gladiator PRO Mk.II.

Is the same joystick, just with different grip connector - probable more "user proof" than the previous, as well a "user proof" trigger, now in semi-flexible plastic.

Will make more sense invest in Gunfighter instead, due their "Dry Clutch" gimbal, improved relative Gladiator PRO "Next Gen" gimbal.

i don't have gladiator. i have cobra m5 and ch fighterstick

Youtube

I just acquired a Gladiator Pro and I must say that I am disappointed in one specific area.

No Documentation.

At this price point, a simple link to some cam/spring swapping videos, at the very least, would have been nice.

The stick is nice but having to troll forums just to find the answers to basic questions leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Here ya go my friend, a video on cam/spring installation.

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

...and one for grip setup

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

isn't there any video review of this stick?

Youtube