DCS 2.0.4.59188 First Impressions

Cavemanhead

Procedural grass is simply awesome.

New airfields are nice and detailed. I love the flag posts at Tonopah AFB ;)

Noticed the environment sounds in the desert and near highways for the first time, though they might be in since some patches?

Performance is good!

Overall the lighting seems to have been adjusted? Looks improved to me, though that maybe placebo effect...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Procedural grass is simply awesome.

New airfields are nice and detailed. I love the flag posts at Tonopah AFB ;)

Noticed the environment sounds in the desert and near highways for the first time, though they might be in since some patches?

Performance is good!

Overall the lighting seems to have been adjusted? Looks improved to me, though that maybe placebo effect...

Where is a good place to see the "procedural" grass? Assumption is that the flags move on the posts from wind?

What kind of environmental sounds are you hearing?

Thanks for feedback...

• Like 1

Well, in the desert it's wind and crickets.

For grass go to the farmland north and south of Crystal Springs and Alamo, you have to be low to have it rendered.

Yes the flags respond to wind, like the windsock.

Edit near highways, urban areas car traffic sounds and such. Though you need to settle down in a chopper and cut the engine or use F2 view and zoom a bit out.

I first noticed starting dark and cold in a Huey from Tonopah.

• Like 1

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

All the new airfields/towns/structures are great, really help fill out the map. Lighting does seem a little better as well as performance. Unfortunately the game always freezes solid on me after the update so I haven't been able to enjoy it as much as I'd like.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

I've had huge problems with stuttering and FPS until now. Suddenly I can run on high setting with a steady 60fps. Great update,looks nice too!

If this is a taste of 2.5 I'm really looking forward to the release.

AMD Ryzen 7 2700x, Asus 470ROG MB, 32GB Vengeance 3200 DDR4 RAM, GTX 1070 GPU, Samsung evo850 1TB SSD, HTC VIVE. Warthog, Trackir.: :cry:

Much better performance overall, more GPU utilization than before, and a rock-solid 60 fps. Added details everywhere, and awesome new airfields, too. Love it!

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Map itself looks really great. They added extra detail to down town Vegs that really makes it look more detailed overall.

Some bugs here and there that are a bit aggravating but that's to be expected and I'm sure that they'll be worked out over time.

Some of the flight models are definitely different and I seem to have to get use to some of the modules all over again. Nothing so drastic that it's a real problem.

My missions that were set up in ME are a little screwed up. I find planes not where I put them, and stuff like that. And of course all of my personal control setting were back to default. I put the "config" info files back from a saved file but it still didn't work 100% so I had to go through and find what needed redone.

All in all, it was a pretty good update and it's easy to see where this whole thing is going so it makes the little problems not seem too bad.

And of course.......this is all just my opinion.

• Like 1

I love all the details they've put into 2.04 version.

New airports are great- you can fly from the very south up to north-west corner. Performance is quite good. Light seems to be a tad different but this could be my imagination, although the reflections seen on some of the latest screenshots are not there yet. New grass is a big plus for all the heli pilots and Combined Arms users.

Is the naval test center in the south-west corner of the map still planned?

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's still a few airports/strips that appear to be missing in the main area of the map, Desert Rock in Mercury, small airstrip just SE of Reveille Peak, Calvada Meadows in Parhump, Alamo Landing Field right in the middle of the map, and the airport at Yucca Lake, which has been there since first release as a flat piece of concrete, but not as an actual airport.

There's some on the edges, which aren't as important but I figured I'd mention them, Saint George is the obvious one, considering they added the city, might as well add the two airports there, especially the one on the Mesa, which is really cool. The one in Searchlight right between Laughlin and Jean, not super important. And the least important, but would be really neat is the airport in Hawthorne at the Army Depot, the town was added, might as well put the airport in.

Anyways, not to detract from the update as it was very, very much welcome and really helps make this map seem much fuller, I do hope we at least get the airfields that are still missing from the main map area.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

I am using VR with the CV1 and it as become unusable with this update before this update I could get a very smooth performance but its now really poor even with graphics turned right down.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i9-9900K - Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master Motherboard - Nvidia RTX 3090 - 64gb Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200MHz - Win 10 64bit - Reverb G2

Another thing I love about the new NTTR update is the fact that ED cleaned up the road intersections by removing some of the procedurally generated street lights and building them according to how an intersection should look like. No more overlapping lamp posts, and signs. Overall, little things like that show their love for details as well! :)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Saw someone else mention it so I'm not crazy. The cockpit rocks a little when firing Mav. in A10-C and you can see it traveling for a few miles at least with new target spotting tweak. Warning: Don't admire your shot to long like me and fly over another SA-13 that promptly shoots you down.

I'm getting higher fps than before, but I have occasional stutters that weren't present in 2.0.3. Despite that, performance is better and smoother.

All the new stuff, grass and airfields looks great. :thumbup:

Agreed!! I am loving the expansion and for some reason I can't leave the M-2000C alone now! :) I need to find some time for that F-5E again!

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Finally got a chance to fly around in my KA-50 with the latest update this morning - wow very impressive ED!

It is gorgeous, and my performance while it was already very good seems to be even a little better. Smooth as silk - flying around downtown Vegas my fps maintained over 100 fps with no issue. It was beautiful.

Very exciting times ahead - and while it is a little delayed now, I am really looking forward to the 2.5 merge when it does arrive, can't wait to see what else it brings.

Excellent job and thanks!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I've spent the last five hours flying. It's the first time I've thought that AMD processors can actually deal with DCS. A very solid 60fps on high settings, no stutters, just smooth performance. Fantastic!

AMD Ryzen 7 2700x, Asus 470ROG MB, 32GB Vengeance 3200 DDR4 RAM, GTX 1070 GPU, Samsung evo850 1TB SSD, HTC VIVE. Warthog, Trackir.: :cry: