WHy F15E without UFCD

Kev2go

uT1BPVm.jpg

bIAUISR.png

obg76765.jpg

So why did RAZBAM choose the old school style UFC ( which is basically somewhat akin to whats on the Hornet) as opposed to newer UFCD which appears to be referenced and its operation documented as early as in a 1991 USAF F15E Flight manual?

Or better yet, it would be ideal to model both versions.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

From what I have been able to find, this was an upgrade for the export version of the F-15E and only latter got integrated into the US F-15, so tho the display itself might be old, the variant of the US F-15 which integrate it might be too recent to find decent docs about, but I am just speculating.

CPU : I7 6700k, MB : MSI Z170A GAMING M3, GC : EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 GAMING iCX, RAM : DDR4 HyperX Fury 4 x 8 Go 2666 MHz CAS 15, STORAGE : Windows 10 on SSD, games on HDDs.

Hardware used for DCS : Pro, Saitek pro flight rudder, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift.

Own : A-10C, Black Shark (BS1 to BS2), P-51D, FC3, UH-1H, Combined Arms, Mi-8MTV2, AV-8B, M-2000C, F/A-18C, Hawk T.1A

Want : F-14 Tomcat, Yak-52, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, F-5E, MiG-21Bis, F-86F, MAC, F-16C, F-15E.

The digital UFC is for the F-15K South Korean models, It started with it. USAF still uses the old pattern.

The USAF uses a mix of both. Here is a recent (this year) B-Course grad video from Seymour Johnson AFB, both versions are featured:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ea/64/58/ea6458e2d324aa68f5ac76922536c033.jpg

"Straighten up and fly right"

Hmm...

I guess they are slowly updating their F-15E to current gen overhaul.

I dont think it is. I can't post it because of 1.16, but the new display covered in a revised flight manual dated from 1991.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

I dont think it is. I can't post it because of 1.16, but the new display covered in a revised flight manual dated from 1991.
Maybe because they like it the old way? Maybe they don't have details about page layout/functions etc. ?

Maybe they aren't allowed to model a 90ies hardware?

Maybe they have access to details to an older Jet only?

Maybe they want to replicate this exact build no?

Maybe they have a subject matter expert who is pretty familiar with the old UFC and never used/saw the new one?

Maybe something completely different?

I am happy with either choice... and the older UFC is easier to adjust with my existing button boxes and stuff, anyway. F/A-18C layout. ;)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

But the question is, is this manual about the US F-15E or about the export variant ?

Anyway, maybe this have simply been on paper for a while but what I think happened really is that without the need to change multiple things on the cockpit this wasn't worth it to modify the current fleet just for a single monitor, which mean its advantages aren't consequent enough to justify that, and those who have it may simply be F-15E build latter, old ones having a cockpit upgrade(tho all F-15E pilot cockpit I found even old ones have the same cockpit layout so if something changed it might be avionic related) or replacement and they took advantage to integrate it or maybe they simply experimented with it on some aircraft to see if it is worth upgrading or how the pilot feel/like it or integrate it well.

One thing we know is that this f-15E is serial number 88-1695.

649717.jpg

Also I found this post : http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/304101-f-15e-148-from-f-15i-gwh/&do=findComment&comment=2914150

new “UFC’s”- Up Front Controllers, that are an F-15E update as well. They are not specific or unique to the F-15I. Updated flat-panel UFC’s have been making their way into the USAF inventory since at least 2010 and are standard now.

This is about model aircraft, it look like they care a lot for details and were talking about the cockpit, but I don't know where he got his sources from, but if this is correct, 2010 is probably way too new to get proper data about, since it probably have more changes than just the UFC.

One thing for sure is that there isn't many pictures and video of the upgraded UFC, there is even more pictures of the Glass cockpit of future F-15 variants (like the canceled Silent Eagle, the F-15S or the 2040C, even tho most come from 3D renders or simulators) in fact (the one I put here appear multiple times on research and there aren't many other pics of F-15E with the upgraded UFC).

But one sure thing is that we will get the old school UFC, mainly if we consider how advanced they already are in the cockpit model and textures as can be seen here :

https://www.facebook.com/RazbamSims/photos/a.316309961788982/1948182498601712/?type=3&theater

The post isn't that old considering they work on several aircrafts, so there isn't many chances that they decide to redo parts of the cockpit.

CPU : I7 6700k, MB : MSI Z170A GAMING M3, GC : EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 GAMING iCX, RAM : DDR4 HyperX Fury 4 x 8 Go 2666 MHz CAS 15, STORAGE : Windows 10 on SSD, games on HDDs.

Hardware used for DCS : Pro, Saitek pro flight rudder, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift.

Own : A-10C, Black Shark (BS1 to BS2), P-51D, FC3, UH-1H, Combined Arms, Mi-8MTV2, AV-8B, M-2000C, F/A-18C, Hawk T.1A

Want : F-14 Tomcat, Yak-52, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, F-5E, MiG-21Bis, F-86F, MAC, F-16C, F-15E.

But the question is, is this manual about the US F-15E or about the export variant ?

Anyway, maybe this have simply been on paper for a while but what I think happened really is that without the need to change multiple things on the cockpit this wasn't worth it to modify the current fleet just for a single monitor, which mean its advantages aren't consequent enough to justify that, and those who have it may simply be F-15E build latter, old ones having a cockpit upgrade(tho all F-15E pilot cockpit I found even old ones have the same cockpit layout so if something changed it might be avionic related) or replacement and they took advantage to integrate it or maybe they simply experimented with it on some aircraft to see if it is worth upgrading or how the pilot feel/like it or integrate it well.

One thing we know is that this f-15E is serial number 88-1695.

649717.jpg

Also I found this post : http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/304101-f-15e-148-from-f-15i-gwh/&do=findComment&comment=2914150

This is about model aircraft, it look like they care a lot for details and were talking about the cockpit, but I don't know where he got his sources from, but if this is correct, 2010 is probably way too new to get proper data about, since it probably have more changes than just the UFC.

One thing for sure is that there isn't many pictures and video of the upgraded UFC, there is even more pictures of the Glass cockpit of future F-15 variants (like the canceled Silent Eagle, the F-15S or the 2040C, even tho most come from 3D renders or simulators) in fact (the one I put here appear multiple times on research and there aren't many other pics of F-15E with the upgraded UFC).

But one sure thing is that we will get the old school UFC, mainly if we consider how advanced they already are in the cockpit model and textures as can be seen here :

https://www.facebook.com/RazbamSims/photos/a.316309961788982/1948182498601712/?type=3&theater

The post isn't that old considering they work on several aircrafts, so there isn't many chances that they decide to redo parts of the cockpit.

Well in comparison Razbam;s final version of Av8b was representative of a version refitted with AMPCD, instead of the earlier MPCD displays as shown in earlier screenshots of WIP models

Functionality no real difference from those 2 harriers, part from display monitors type which was a CRT vs LCD, but could display full colours, and the same general UI layout anyways.

Considering strike eagle sims have already been done before. It would be nice to at least get a model that was a bit more different and standing out from the more typical thing we have been accustomed too. IE UFCD screen.

Either way remodeling it wouldn't be a big deal either i it was done, because function wise its similar to classic UFC. just displays in a screen.

Or perhaps instead of just 1 version over the other, they could do both aircraft types . Considering ED has done multiple aiarcraft in a single package before like L39C and L39ZA or how Heatblur is doing with F14B/F14A package , I wouldn't be a big deal to have to have both an F15E with classic UFC, and another with F15E with UFCD. Literally less effort than those 2 companies have put forth moddling 2 aircraft that contained more changes between those 2 variants.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Maybe because they like it the old way? Maybe they don't have details about page layout/functions etc. ?

Maybe they aren't allowed to model a 90ies hardware?

Doubt, that would mean a F15E with no Sniper XR( confirmed), which means itl even be at least a mid 2000's Strike Eagle.

Maybe they have access to details to an older Jet only?

Doubt, considering this is essentially the only difference is the UFCD, and its documented within the very same manual they would be using to model it anyways.

I am happy with either choice... and the older UFC is easier to adjust with my existing button boxes and stuff, anyway. F/A-18C layout. ;)

All the same physical button boxes are there if you compare. :book:

Maybe they want to replicate this exact build no?

Maybe they could ( hypothetically) do both.

Or maybe we all can't really answer a question that can only really be answered by the development team. ;)

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Images of F15E with alternate/newer UFC

bIAUISR.png

obg76765.jpg

Edited OP of the thread to include image.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Regardless of whatever model of the strike eagle RAZBAM is doing, I think its safe to say, none of us will have it on our PC until at least late 2020 at the earliest. They still need to finish the Harrier, MIG-19, Mirage 200, Falkland Map and probably the Super Tucano etc....

Or Maybe you should stop trying to answer a question that can only really be answered by the development team. ;)

I didn't, hence the question marks. ;)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Regardless of whatever model of the strike eagle RAZBAM is doing, I think its safe to say, none of us will have it on our PC until at least late 2020 at the earliest. They still need to finish the Harrier, MIG-19, Mirage 200, Falkland Map and probably the Super Tucano etc....

Dont be silly, RAZBAM couldn't stand having less than five projects on their plate at a time. Hopefully we see some news on this module soon, seems like it's been months since theres been any info...

F-14 | F/A-18C | F-16C | AJS-37 | M-2000C | A-10C | UH-1H | F-5E | P-51 | Bf 109

Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Supercarrier

YouTube | Steam | Discord: JayBird#4400

i7-7700K | GTX 980 | 32gb RAM | 500gb SSD | 2TB HDD| Track IR | TM Warthog HOTAS | Logitech Pro Pedals

What I wonder based on the very little available informations about the F-15E upgrades, is how can you guys can be sure that the upgraded UFC wasn't part of a bigger upgrade which could potentially change things such as electronic warfare system, IFF, Datalink, radar software, hardware or the whole radar for the APG-82 AESA, sensors like RWR or anything else that is still probably too recent to be declassified and even if they could get their hand on the informations they will not be allowed to model it ?

Or Maybe you should stop trying to answer a question that can only really be answered by the development team. ;)

Maybe you should stop asking questions if you don't want anyone to answer them. You've been here a while, surely you know that the devs aren't going to answer you.

Dont be silly, RAZBAM couldn't stand having less than five projects on their plate at a time. Hopefully we see some news on this module soon, seems like it's been months since theres been any info...

Straight from the camel's mouth at the 4:15 mark. Also, they seem to be moving towards quarterly news updates so "maybe" an update in July/September since they probably won't have one before June 30th.

Maybe you should stop asking questions if you don't want anyone to answer them. You've been here a while, surely you know that the devs aren't going to answer you.

And maybe should realize you don't really answer questions with questions.....

and yes maybe they could, since they have in the past ( or now as task that their community manager does). Being here a while i surely know that better than you.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

What I wonder based on the very little available informations about the F-15E upgrades, is how can you guys can be sure that the upgraded UFC wasn't part of a bigger upgrade which could potentially change things such as electronic warfare system, IFF, Datalink, radar software, hardware or the whole radar for the APG-82 AESA, sensors like RWR or anything else that is still probably too recent to be declassified and even if they could get their hand on the information they will not be allowed to model it ?

A) The AN/APG82 is being installed across the F15E fleet which includes the F15E's with older UFC, and the first AN/APG82 didn't enter initial operational and test and evaluation stage ( fitted into F15E's) until 2014, with full rate production being approved shortly after.

https://www.dote.osd.mil/pub/reports/FY2014/pdf/af/2014f-15e_rmp.pdf

The first publicly noted deployment of operationally ready An/APG82's in F15E's was not until 2017 for RED FLAG Alaska

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/f-15es-apg-82-aesa-radars-deploy-red-flag-alaska-first-time/

This is again well after new UFC's were around, because new UFC is illustrated and described in a F15E manual from the very early 90s, well before AESA upgrade or any other potential upgrades ( none other are mentioned besides radar)

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

@Kev2go

Wow, I already knew this radar was new and we had 0 chances to have it in DCS, but I did not know it was THIS new, apparently this mean that it may not even have been deploy on real combat missions yet.

But what I meant is that maybe they upgraded more than just the UFC when they did change it, if this is that old and haven't been implemented a while ago this probably may mean that they waited for more things to upgrade/change as just changing this single thing might not be worth the effort, but I have no informations about that this is just speculations.

APG-82 is not being 100% standardized, it will be like the APG-63's in the C models, some are V0, some are V3, don't know what their numbers are but its definitely not 100% AESA. For the APG-82 its the same, squadrons will have some AESA, some Mech scanned. At least for the currently planned upgrades.

The new UFC offers no additional functionality over the old ones. Its pretty much 100% uniform across the fleet of USAF strike eagles. You can literally rip it out and replace the old one with the new one or vice versa while the engines are running. LRU's are great.

I've flown with an old one once or twice, they are still in inventory and if the new ones are being worked on, if they have an old one they will throw it in there.

Only real difference/benefit (other than the much clearer and brighter display) is the new ones specifically have more lighting options so as to be more compatible with NVG's and night lighting in general, the old ones still work, just arent as good to look at through NVG's.

This is again well after new UFC's were around, because new UFC is illustrated and described in a F15E manual from the very early 90s, well before AESA upgrade or any other potential upgrades ( none other are mentioned besides radar)

Kev2go, I don't think the UFC upgrade was available in the early 90's, early 2000's perhaps, but don't quote me on that.

As Klar has already pointed out, they are fairly new, and no, haven't been around in the US inventory for very long. Just like when we changed to color displays from the mono MPDs...the old ones are being fielded out through attrition. The new ones do not have the delam problems the old ones have and they don't require the posts/nvg filter for the nogs that the old ones did. The old UFC had white lettering, new ones are green. EMD used to be white, they are going green too. Many of the caution panels have been altered to have green filters...because...f*ck velcro.

It's also not related to the RMP for the radar....

The constant back and forth arguing by folks that have no real idea never ceases to amaze....

Edited by Rainmaker