Campaign Documentation and Tips - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-16-2018, 04:53 PM   #11
Bunyap
3rd Party Campaign Designer

Speaking of RWR tones, you really, really, need to pay attention to these. This is especially important if you choose not to track the threat locations called in by the other flights. All primary threats give you a warning as you approach. Even SA-19s launching with optical guidance give a warning as they acquire you with their search radar.

- This RWR Tone generator by 2-niner is extremely useful! The expected threats are always listed in the briefing so use this to familiarize yourselves with the tones before, or even during the mission:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=184283

- This ELINT database by grunf is also very handy:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=182490

Last edited by Bunyap; 01-16-2018 at 11:22 PM.
Bunyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:52 PM   #12
Bunyap

The DCS 2.5 Open Beta included an update to the Viggen that, among other things, allows for accurate route timing using the CK37 computer. Thanks very much to RagnarDa at Heatblur for squaring this away for us!

I hope others will share their own tips and techniques as well but here are the four functions I find most useful:

Prior to takeoff, the CK37 displays a countdown to the optimal takeoff time. This assumes a fuel efficient speed is followed along the route all the way to the target and takes any ingress points you create into account. In practice, this serves as a good cross check for the latest time you can take off and still comfortably make the planned time on target.

Another very useful feature you can use at any time is the Current Time display. Taxi, takeoff and package push times are listed on the lineup card so this mode can be used to keep track of those during the mission.

There is no right or wrong way to do this but I fly with the selector in TID until I'm close to the IP. This gives me a read-out of how far ahead or behind of schedule I am. I know I am in a good position in relation to the other flights if the time is close to 0:00.

We also have a timing reference displayed in the HUD. The line tells us if our airspeed is too fast or too slow to hit the next nav point on time. If the vertical fin is above the Flight Path Vector, I either slow down or change course to delay my arrival. If the fin is below, I either speed up or take a more direct route to the nav point.

Nav timing really is as simple as that.

Last edited by Bunyap; 01-31-2018 at 11:02 PM.
Bunyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:36 PM   #13
San Patricio

Really enjoying this campaign! One quick question: the target QFE listed on the flight data card (in the DOCS folder for this campaign) never seems to match with the QFE listed for the target on the Viggen kneeboard. I've been using the QFE from the kneeboard and that seems to work, but I'm wondering what's going on with the difference between the two.
San Patricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:09 PM   #14
Bunyap

Hi San Patricio, thanks very much.

It sounds like you ended up with some old versions of the lineup cards. There was a big problem recently with old campaign files being pushed with updates but that should have been cleared up with DCS 2.5.

If you copy/pasted the cards to a different location last month, new versions should be in the Docs folder for you now. If you are accessing them directly from the folder and QFEs still do not match, you might try deleting the Docs folder and running a 'repair' of DCS. That should pull the latest versions of the files from their servers.

Thanks again.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:36 PM   #15
Flappie

Hi Bunyap, I've just noticed a small error in the briefing PDF for mission 6:
Quote:
Designating nav point B5 as an ingress point with a speed of Mach .84 is recommended in orderto include a high speed run on the target in the timingcalculations. That will be an input of 084 and a press of the B4 button with the CK37 data selector switch in theTID position
"B4" should be "B5".

Also, p.14:
Quote:
We will turn continue west
"turn and continue"?

Last edited by Flappie; 06-16-2019 at 06:45 PM.
Flappie is offline   Reply With Quote