Test drive AI aircraft

Yeah that sounds crazy… And may not get any echo…

But it would save a crazy amount of time while creating missions to setup AI routes, altitudes and speeds, by learning how each aircraft behaves depending on load-out and the aircraft's special abilities. I'm currently tired to run/exit the mission all the time to find a correct setup for AI cruise, or a sync alt+speed point for refueler and refueled. Aircraft such as the MiG-25 has a weird performance and doesn't seem to be able to reach any speed at high altitudes without using afterburner, and I've never found out if it was normal and what is the logic here.

So it would be purely about flight dynamics, no need for testing the weapon system except the simulation of weapon release for keeping drag/loss of weight influence on the flight.

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

The FM that the AI uses is only one half of the equation. The other half would be, well, the AI itself - how the AI pilots the aircraft, which decisions the AI makes under which circumstances, etc.

And that leaves you only with observing the AI aircraft, imho.

About the AI combat behavior, yes it can only be observed. I start to plan their mission just before their attack, then gradually add threats. When it looks OK, the torturing part comes: finish the rest of their flight plan, this is what I'm talking about.

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

Hmmm, I personally go the other way around from you, I tend to add threats & targets and then set-up flight-plans and routes.

As for finding cruising characteristics like you said it is difficult, I personally try looking up individual aircraft and take a best guess for cruising altitudes and speeds, or I pick a general speed and altitude and tweak it from there (most aircraft have more than enough range to easily get across the entire map without too much overthinking) - which actually for me, yeah it's a bit of trial and error but normally, unless I'm doing something mad, it doesn't take too long at all... However, I can still kinda see where you're coming from.

As for egress out, again by having the threats worked out prior to route planning and their respective engagement zones etc allows me to just make simple routes for the rest of their flight plan, which again I never have too much trouble getting it roughly how I want it - but then I might not be as much as a perfectionist as you might be...

As for 'test driving' AI missions and aircraft, I think that would be an alright idea - not too sure how it would work though... Personally I'd prefer to have some sort of text available to me to tell me exactly what the AI is going to do, at what times etc. Or say have a calculator or some sort of data available to us to determine best cruising altitudes, speeds from the mission editor, both loaded and not-loaded once the loaded weight decreases from expending payload and fuel. If we could have that data from the ME I think that would save the frustration of loading the mission, flying, observing, tweaking and repeat over and over again.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

This is a good idea. As Flagrum indicates, its' not the complete solution. However, even a view where a user can see AI aircraft from the cockpit with a standard HUD ala TacView could help in troubleshooting missions. This view would be suitable if flyability is too much to ask.