CA 1.5?

Kaiza

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah sure it´s possible : there are tricks to be found server and client sides. Like approximations for AI not involved in a conflict with humans.

Serverside : you have only to have 3d position in this virtual world

Clientside : only have to render visible zone you are in

For both game : they don't code mutithreaded. Only arma can scale a bit more with headless client technology.

Of course it's a challenge : sure it can be done

Did you have a look to Arma3 recently?

There are load of problems on arma for the moment, when there like 200 AI and 20 people online. But the server is able to handle it with an headless client calculating the AI. How much time a dedicated DCS World can handle 50 AI and 10 human driven planes??

Asus ROG G701VI 6820HK@4Ghz GTX1080 - HTC VIVE

I just meant :

Arma will never got the quality of dcs for anything in the air

DCS will never got the quality of arma for anything on the ground

But Arma is the closest to this !!!

For me, the only way to get a win/win can be if they contract each other making an interface for both worlds

Sounds simple on my iphone but impossible because of ways business goes :(

Infantry is needed - but i would see it more on a platoon sized unit.

One "entity" in DCS would be an entire platoon, such as game like Combat Mission.

AGREED!! +1 to that… i loved Full Spectrum Warrior and think it would be amazing gameplay in this game.

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

Nope if it was easy someone would have done it already, and its probably not even a matter of being easy or not, its more of time and current computers ability to run it.... take the current map we have now, now make all the buildings in it capable of being entered and used by infantry.... now watch your computer turn into a puddle as it loads that map ;)

with LODs things like that can be eliminated, airplanes never even need to really load the highest level of detail, and agian im not talking about making the entire map have enterable buildings just a small part, heck even in arma you cant enter every building, and only a part of the map would have higher resolution terrain, whether the network or the server would be able to handle insane amounts of people at affordable levels is another thing.

Edited by karambiatos

• ED Team
with LODs things like that can be eliminated, airplanes never even need to really load the highest level of detail, and agian im not talking about making the entire map have enterable buildings just a small part, heck even in arma you cant enter every building, and only a part of the map would have higher resolution terrain, whether the network or the server would be able to handle insane amounts of people at affordable levels is another thing.

Its not just graphics and people though, its all that those people are doing, all the stuff under the hood, even with just flight of A-10s vs some AI ground units, I imagine the data flowing around is quite a bit... now add all that is involved in simulating just one solider at the level of ARMA... now add say... 20... plus any number of AI... again I say, your puter is reduced to a puddle :)

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I do not agree

Complex calculations for your flight : ok

But it's lot of local calculations, the server just manages 3d positions. I mean some stuffs has to be simplified for network traffic ....

I dont think it would be possible right now, we dont have computers that can handle what it would take to run the size of the world we are in and the details of the world ARMA infantry exist in right now...

This, plus right now DCS is running on a ten year old engine. (EDGE only does with terrain right?)

If you want to talk to anyone about anything personal, send it to their PM box. Interpersonal drama and ad hominem rebuttal are things that do not belong on a thread viewed by the public.

One thing i have to point out... naming a thread.. "OK, so" is as useful as tits on a bull.

This, plus right now DCS is running on a ten year old engine. (EDGE only does with terrain right?)

EDGE is Everything You see.

Terrain, Sky, Objects, Effects.

EDGE is the Image Rendering Engine.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

As long as both games lack true SMP support it will never work unless Intel releases a 20GHz CPU.

The fire going on under the hood should not be underestimated.

Lets get EDGE and SMP first to get DCS where it should be as of now and not leave in a 2003 state as of Flanker2.x/LOMAC CPU driving issues.

Right now, you can easily overkill any CPU with DCS which is ridiculous. Looking at my Core i7 doing nothing on 4 Cores and 3 do a little bit and 1 Core is exploding.... Not good at all.

Get all Cores working and you should see the biggest push forward.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Comparing ARMAIII with DCS is like comparing beans with codfish. Think about the number of objects, to calculate and render, in the ARMAIII~~900 square km or in the DCS ~~140 000 square km (at the present Caucasus terrain). The number of objects, perhaps, can be compared: it's a matter of scale and resolution.

With Levels Of Detail or not, the tesselation capability in the in-development DX11 EDGE engine is an important evolution.

104th Cobra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
Comparing ARMAIII with DCS is like comparing beans with codfish. Think about the number of objects, to calculate and render, in the ARMAIII~~900 square km or in the DCS ~~140 000 square km (at the present Caucasus terrain). The number of objects, perhaps, can be compared: it's a matter of scale and resolution.

With Levels Of Detail or not, the tesselation capability in the in-development DX11 EDGE engine is an important evolution.

Its not meant to be a comparison to anything really, more so the idea of putting infantry level details into DCS World, and I just dont think we are there yet, to be able to add all that detail, whether some of it could be *hidden* at a certain distance or not...

64Sig.png

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I really like dumb comment like this one...

Who said merge? We spoke about an interface between both worlds... The way you can enjoy aircraft & infantry @ hardcore levels. Can't we speak? Isn't that the point with a forum?

Sure with people like you, we'll wait a pair of decades for this "merge", like you call that, to happen.

People like you retarded : sure

Its not meant to be a comparison to anything really, more so the idea of putting infantry level details into DCS World, and I just dont think we are there yet, to be able to add all that detail, whether some of it could be *hidden* at a certain distance or not...

I believe falcon 4 uses to hide units outside your area of opperations , this is how the could have a large dynamic campaign even way back then.

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

• ED Team
I believe falcon 4 uses to hide units outside your area of opperations , this is how the could have a large dynamic campaign even way back then.

Thats fine for single player, or a small number of people playing MP, but what if you have 20 guys in a server, some flying some, doing infantry, etc... I dont think its that easy if you are trying to create a large combat simulation with a number of different roles playable by the user. I just dont think that would cut it here, but I am happy to be proven wrong :)

64Sig.png

Thats fine for single player, or a small number of people playing MP, but what if you have 20 guys in a server, some flying some, doing infantry, etc... I dont think its that easy if you are trying to create a large combat simulation with a number of different roles playable by the user. I just dont think that would cut it here, but I am happy to be proven wrong :)

Hm. Maybe it could also work for ground units. Not a big difference if I fly a plane or drive a vehicle in such a enviroment.... in theory. :)

And 40+ clients runs very well in bms on a good server

• ED Team
Hm. Maybe it could also work for ground units. Not a big difference if I fly a plane or drive a vehicle in such a enviroment.... in theory. :)

And 40+ clients runs very well in bms on a good server

40+ all in aircraft though right, you dont have infantry running through buildings, driving tanks, etc in BMS yet do you :) We are talking about more advanced Infantry than what we have now, it would add so much more to the demands on the server, no matter how much they might be hidden from one user, they are still there for the server...

Edited by NineLine

64Sig.png

Not to mention Hiding Units wont work for MP, as Most of the MP Sessions I've been in Encompass Large Areas, and Several Different Flights w/ Different Tasking in Different Areas.

You cant hide all the Objects on one side of the Map if you have A-10s on one Side, F-15s on the Other, etc.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

would people accept platoon size units that would act as 1 object to make it easier for the computer and most of the firing/defending etc. would be non-simulating in graphical world or it would be minimal at best to reduce CPU overload..but it would be simulated in F10 commander screen and this unit would be able to call in CAS or ask for back up by other squads, or brigades, or ARTY etc..

for me personally i wouldn't mind having more of Tactical platoon sized units that graphically wouldn't act 1-soldier at a time, but more like Total War series platoon or brigade or whatever size.. and then simply APPLY logic in strategy games like (if 1 platoon fights 1 platoon in open field than equation for who looses is this..and t-time needed is such, if 1 platoon faces 2 platoons -one at front, one from flank- then this implies 0.45 more losses to the 1-platoon surrounded and reducing time for finish battle by etc etc..

so in graphical world this wouldnt' look much, but it would still give great depth in tactical and strategic world..

we can have F10 commander with option to move those 50 soldiers platoons that computer would see as 1 unit in traditional sense and only apply (variables as i mentioned before according to the situation at hand) and you would have radio contact if in F-10 or if playing CAS etc..

same can be done with tanks, recon, armored BMP brigades etc..

so we can still limit all of it in 20-40 units and still in reality it would look like anything from 1000 soldiers to 10.000 soldiers..

That strikes me as a horrible compromise and complete immersion killer for anything other than the strategic command view.

Whilst the strategic elements are desirable, nerfing the 3D world (where most people will be playing in a multiplayer game) is a very poor idea. To take a couple of examples, if I'm shooting at a convoy from my KA-50, the units should scatter/react in a non scripted fashion. If they just sit there (or react into the same pattern they always do), it's quite a big immersion killer. I might as well be shooting at static targets.

The same happens if I'm playing as a tank. If my platoon (for example) is in a turret down battle position on a ridgeline, if all tanks are moving as one, I can't move one tank forward to hull down in order to fire, without the whole platoon moving forward with me, and if the battle position isn't exactly the same shape as the formation (e.g. if there is a slight curve), I have to choose between using a line and exposing part of my platoon at all times, or a wedge and having to move the whole platoon too far forwards for the flank units to fire.

As soon as you introduce the ability to target individual vehicles, you either have to completely prevent or restrictively script every movement of an individual vehicle, so that any client can derive where the vehicles are, or transmit data about the status of each one, at which point you are back to square one.

In isolation, if played alone, platoon/squad level units work fine, but this isn't a solely strategy game, the interaction with the wider DCS 3D world is what makes it worthwhile, and any trade offs that fundamentally compromise the 3D world are going to be unacceptable to a lot of players (otherwise you might as well be playing Combat Mission : Shock Force, or FlashPoint Campaigns : Red Storm, both of which are better "pure" strategy games).

Cheers,

Jamie

Edited by Flying Penguin

Per Ardua Ad Aquarium :drink:

Specs: Intel i7-9700K, GTX 2080TI, 32GB DDR4, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2

Strategy games are best played as strategy games instead of flight or tank simulators. Having horribly abstracted world is a serious immersion killer at least for me. I'd prefer fever intelligently behaving units than lots of make believe crap. What's the fun in plinking enemy units that are neatly lined up and merely try to shoot back if they happen to see you? What I'd like to see is them acting intelligently to keep you from killing them (hiding and/or calling for help) and shooting back in a realistic manner (human like spotting and aiming ability, cooperative tactics) or maybe even trying to ambush the player.

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

• 1 month later...

This is exactly what I was saying in another post. With a few spots for FPS on the map, it can be done. Basically, that whys there so much ocean in Arma on maps like Utes. It cuts down the objects, yet allows for a lot of space to fly. Same could be done on the Caucasus map. Leave most of it the way it is ( well, a little better! ) and then just let a few villages etc. have really good buildings and land. This is where you have your FPS battles.