Sound - splitting and isolation

Hi,

I have two sound cards - one outputting to a headset, the other outputting to a set of surround speakers.

Is it possible to split the output so that helmet sounds go to the headset, and world sounds go to the speakers?

Cheers!

Tassel

I don't always openly list my things. But when I do, I put it in my signature.

Buuuump!

C'mon seriously - has no-one tried?

All I want to do is split Radio to Headset, and World/SFX to the speakers.

Might have to derp this one myself...

I don't always openly list my things. But when I do, I put it in my signature.

• 3 months later...

As far as I know this is not possible unless the game would render the sound twice for each device separately and you would have the possibility to set it in game.

I'm using two sound cards too and I'm effectively splitting two sound streams to two devices but the sources are different. I'm able to play a movie with one sound stream on one device and play a game with different sound stream on second device.

As far as I know there is no way how to do split one stream to pieces on two devices. You can play the same thing on both, but you have no way how to identify what parts of the stream are what sounds. To do this, the game would have to support this but as I said, it would have to render the sound twice for each device separately which would mean more HW stress and it would probably be hard to code.

You should ask the devs to implement this in the game.

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

By asking devs I meant sending them email or posting in a part of forum they would read. I do not thing many of them read this part of forum.

This is probably something more people would benefit from but I cant tell how hard it would be to implement it.

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

As far as I know this is not possible unless the game would render the sound twice for each device separately and you would have the possibility to set it in game.

I'm using two sound cards too and I'm effectively splitting two sound streams to two devices but the sources are different. I'm able to play a movie with one sound stream on one device and play a game with different sound stream on second device.

As far as I know there is no way how to do split one stream to pieces on two devices. You can play the same thing on both, but you have no way how to identify what parts of the stream are what sounds. To do this, the game would have to support this but as I said, it would have to render the sound twice for each device separately which would mean more HW stress and it would probably be hard to code.

You should ask the devs to implement this in the game.

You don't have to render anything twice and so this feature shouldn't add any extra load! The options just need to allow the player to select an audio device for the radio sounds and another one for the rest (for people with only a single sound device, they'd both be set to the same output).

My onboard Realtek soundchip provides multi-streaming, which means it presents as two audio devices, so I can have the rear output connected to my speakers and have programs send notifications of incoming calls for example to those, whilst in the program I've set it to send the speech from the caller to the front panel output, where my headset is plugged in.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

• 1 year later...

This is something I would really like to have as well. Since I upgraded my simpit with VoiceAttack and VAICOM, a headset is a must, and it would be great to have the comms in the headset and the other sounds in the external speakers, giving a "helmet on" effect.. I have not found any third-party scripts or modules making this possible either. :(

Regards

HoBBiS

Simpit: i7 8700k, 64GB RAM, Geforce RTX 2080 TI, Oculus Rift-S, Grip: Virpil Constellation Alpha. Throttle: Virpil Mongoos T-50CM2 all mounted on a IKEA office chair with the Monstertech office chair kit.

+1 This should be high on the new features wishlist imo. Splitting in-helmet and world sounds to different audio outputs is very useful in many (simpit) scenarios. This could come off a single audio device using Surround (i.e. 5.1) outputs.

Edited by Hollywood_315

There is no spoon.

Avatar_old_80x80.gif.0c105925ce4b9f5b87697ea37cbde317.gif

VAICOM PRO plugin for DCS World

www.vaicompro.com

This would be great. It would help for anyone using bass shaker devices as you don't want radio chatter to vibrate your seat. I believe I've seen it as a request to the development team before, but that was a long time ago.

I am not trying to hi jack the thread but I use Andre's Simshaker software to isolate the aircraft sounds to the bass speaker output to my buttkicker. use onboard soundcard for aircraft bumps and clicks and pops and any one on teamspeak doesn't vibrate the kicker anymore cause the go to my headset. He has done a good job and well worth it, I donated to his site to help with development.

But my point is sounds like its a software like that to stream certain audio streams to a output device of your choice. we just need a programmer.

Edited by Brewnix

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I believe apps like simshaker take their data directly from the physics engine don't they? Vibrations/buffeting etc are exported and converted into sound data, then sent to the determined output.

That's how most of those kind of applications work (Simvibe etc) - So I can only assume this one is the same.

The problem with audio splitting is that it's done at an engine level. No way that I'm aware of for third parties to mod that feature in. I may be wrong of course, but I've seen it asked enough that it would surely have been done by now.

476th vFG Alumni

subscribing, (good thread). Interested in the splitting capability. thx OP.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I believe apps like simshaker take their data directly from the physics engine don't they? Vibrations/buffeting etc are exported and converted into sound data, then sent to the determined output.

Yes. This is basically how SimShaker works. It reads data directly from DCS.