Saving in Editor - Destructive?

Dealman

I'm working on modifying a mission along with some other people, but it seems like saving it via the Mission Editor is a very destructive procedure - even though we're on the same version of DCS.

Is there a way to make it less destructive? Sometimes even just loading the mission, DCS will then claim there are unsaved changes made to the mission - despite not even having pressed anything other than to test the mission.

We most recently had the mission(file itself, not archive) be entirely corrupted after I changed the default radio frequency on some aircraft via the unit list. Not too sure what or why it would become corrupted, but luckily we could revert it via GitHub without too much damage done.

Never used an editor before where I'm literally scared to save, because it just messes up all kinds of mission-wide settings and whatnot depending on who saves it.

It saves the map position and zoom level so even if you move the view around it counts the mission as being "modified."

That said you can launch the mission anyway without saving by clicking "no" and any changes made will be present in that test run. It is basically using and running a copy of the file stored somewhere in appdata. When you get back to the editor the file name will be "tempMission" so you can either save over the existing file or make a new one.

If the mission corruption is easily replicated please report it as a bug. The main reliable way I know of is if I opened the .miz in 7zip, forgot to close it, and tried to save via the editor.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum