Have dual monitors-Want to Use 2nd for MFDs

rwy12

Hi Everyone

I have 2 monitors-at the moment I am only using 1 monitor settings.

I also play on P3D4 -the MFDs can be easily transported to 2nd monitor.(click and drag)

I would like to do the same here.I have searched and all the suggestions point to editing the lua files.

This automatically take all the wind out of me-I have zero editing experience.

Can some please help and send me a tutorial -or point to an easy one-how I can do this.

I have 2 iiyama 30'' monitors-It will be great if I could put the 2 mfd on the 2nd mintor,

Many thanks.

Qas

I recommend downloading Notepad++ for text editing.

The monitor setup folder you'll be creating your custom lua is in \DCS World Openbeta\Config\MonitorSetup\

1. Check monitor setup in windows display setting, it is important to note how you stack your monitors (side to side vs top to bottom) since the overall resolution will change. In my example, I arrange 2 monitors side by side (2560x1080 each) in the display setting (but I physically stack the bottom screen behind the top one so that only the bottom half of the bottom screen is shown). For side to side arrangement the resolution would be 5210x1080 (where as it would be 2560x2160 for top to bottom arrangement).

2. Create a new monitor lua file with Notepad++ in the MonitorSetup folder. In my case I named it SM2MFCD.lua

3. Paste this on to your new file.

_  = function(p) return p; end;
name = _('SM2MFCD');
Description = 'Cockpit, left and right MPCDs'
Viewports =
{
Center = 
{
x = 0.0;
y = 0.0;
width = 2560;
height = 1080;
viewDx = 0;
viewDy = 0;
aspect = 2560/1080;
}
}
LEFT_MFCD = 
{
 x = 3095.0;
 y = 680.0;
 width = 400;
 height = 400;
}
RIGHT_MFCD = 
{
 x = 4165.0;
 y = 680.0;
 width = 400;
 height = 400;
}
UIMainView = Viewports.Center

3. You will need to change the parameters on Left and Right MFCD to suit your liking. The Center one is the aspect of your main display.

4. Remember to change the name of the lua file accordingly (both the saved file and the name on the 2nd line of code must match).

5. In DCS World option/system tab, click on Resolution and type in your overall resolution (in my case 5120x1080), also change Aspect Ratio if needed.

6. In In DCS World option/system tab/monitors, choose your newly created lua file.

7. Run the game and check the positions and sizes of your exported MFCDs, and adjust them as needed. This may takes several cycles until you get it to fit your need.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Here's another tip if you use TrackIR. Creating a new center view as if you are looking straight forward instead of looking downward all the time (there's no need to see the entire MFCD displays on the primary screen all the time when you already export them to the second monitor, or when you can also just tilt downward to look at them).

***This may not be for everybody, so try it with just the head movement without pressing Right ALT-NUM 0 first***

1. Bind TrackIR center to NUM 5.

2. Run an instant mission that starts you on the ground.

3. Look straight and hit NUM 5 to center the view.

4. Look upward 10-15 degree, keep your head in midline without any movement and hit Right ALT-NUM 0 to create a new center view.

Edited by Supmua

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Hi Everyone

I have 2 monitors-at the moment I am only using 1 monitor settings.

I also play on P3D4 -the MFDs can be easily transported to 2nd monitor.(click and drag)

I would like to do the same here.I have searched and all the suggestions point to editing the lua files.

This automatically take all the wind out of me-I have zero editing experience.

Can some please help and send me a tutorial -or point to an easy one-how I can do this.

I have 2 iiyama 30'' monitors-It will be great if I could put the 2 mfd on the 2nd mintor,

Many thanks.

Qas

Step by step I wrote a while back

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2616874&postcount=799

• Like 1

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Hi Everyone

As per Supmua suggestion-I created a new lua file and used the above settings-

When I loaded dcs the screen image was very tall and narrow.

I started all over again-I kept the MFCD settings same but for centre I copied the settings from 1camera lua.

This has made the 2 MFCD in external view disappear. I had always wanted to do this and by accident I have done it.

I am scared to do anything else.

I had a go with Hansangb method-I have done part one-where the mission screen is small with

black border.

I am still stuck with 2nd part-I will read and read... before trying.

The question now what has happened to the two missing MFCDs in the external view by the first method-can I resize and place them on my 2nd monitor.

Overall I am very happy with my achievements-at least I have managed to remove the MFCDs from external view.

Please do keep helping with alternative methods to place the MFCD on second screen

Many thanks everyone for all the help.Much appreciated.

Qas

I am enclosing my lua file that has made the external mfcd disappear-may editing these can put them on my second screen

1049045604_SM2MFCD.luafile.thumb.png.6c489b7996bbad2112388145c55ce90b.png

I think you need to edit the following.

Center

Use the width and height value of

*your* monitor (not mine). I notice that you're using 30 inchers so they're probably 1920x1080 or something of similar aspect (it became tall because you were using ultrawide aspect).

The x,y values (positions) of your MFCDs will need to change and it all depends on *how* you arrange your monitor in window's setup (side by side vs top to bottom).

If the monitors are side-by-side, try some arbitrary numbers first such as x 2500, y 500 for left MFCD and x 3000, y 500 for right MFCD and see what happens. And then in DCS resolution setting, use 3840x1080. Basically if your first display has x resolution of 1920, any x value that is higher will go to the 2nd display. Leave the width and height of MFCDs at 400 for now.

If the monitors are top-bottom (stacked vertically), try x 500, y 1500 for left MFCD and x 1000, y 1500 for right MFCD. And then in DCS resolution setting use 1920x2160.

Try this one and see how it goes. Remember to manually type in your overall resolution 3840x1080 in DCS resolution setting.

name = _('SM2MFCD');
Viewports =
{
Center = 
{
x = 0.0;
y = 0.0;
width = 1920;
height = 1080;
viewDx = 0;
viewDy = 0;
aspect = 1920/1080;
}
}
LEFT_MFCD = 
{
 x = 2500.0;
 y = 500.0;
 width = 400;
 height = 400;
}
RIGHT_MFCD = 
{
 x = 3000.0;
 y = 500.0;
 width = 400;
 height = 400;
}

If above code doesn't work then your monitors are likely stacked vertically in the windows setup, then try the code below but use 1920x2160 in DCS resolution setting.

name = _('SM2MFCD');
Viewports =
{
Center = 
{
x = 0.0;
y = 0.0;
width = 1920;
height = 1080;
viewDx = 0;
viewDy = 0;
aspect = 1920/1080;
}
}
LEFT_MFCD = 
{
 x = 500.0;
 y = 1500.0;
 width = 400;
 height = 400;
}
RIGHT_MFCD = 
{
 x = 1000.0;
 y = 1500.0;
 width = 400;
 height = 400;
}

Edited by Supmua

Many thanks Mr Supmua.

I have manged to get the 2 MFCD on my second monitor.

I am grateful for the above lua file.etc.

I am still unsure about few things.

1. The MFCD in dcs world cannot be clicked and dragged any where-

2 How do you get the MFCD to fit onto the 7'' external monitors that some sim builder have-

I think they use the lilliput monitors.

Many thanks for all the help everyone.

Qas

Many thanks Mr Supmua.

I have manged to get the 2 MFCD on my second monitor.

I am grateful for the above lua file.etc.

I am still unsure about few things.

1. The MFCD in dcs world cannot be clicked and dragged any where-

2 How do you get the MFCD to fit onto the 7'' external monitors that some sim builder have-

I think they use the lilliput monitors.

Many thanks for all the help everyone.

Qas

There was an app call UltraMFCD that did exactly that. But something between the developer and ED happened and the project halted.

The link I posted walks you through it step by step. Lilliput just becomes a windows monitor and you set the necessary X Y coordinate. That's it.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

There was an app call UltraMFCD that did exactly that. But something between the developer and ED happened and the project halted.

The link I posted walks you through it step by step. Lilliput just becomes a windows monitor and you set the necessary X Y coordinate. That's it.

Many thanks. It’s good to know for future

Maybe mrs will be come forgiving and approve

Purchase of Lilliputi.

Qas

Just make use of your 2nd monitor. Here's what I did with mine (stacked the second one behind the main). This way I can have 5 exported screens at once without having to buy 5 little monitors. Play with width and height setting in lua to get the size you want, but I find that 400x400 works well with Thrustmasters MFD in general for my screen.

1JxeVmW.jpg

Edited by Supmua

Just make use of your 2nd monitor. Here's what I did with mine (stacked the second one behind the main). This way I can have 5 exported screens at once without having to buy 5 little monitors. Play with width and height setting in lua to get the size you want, but I find that 400x400 works well with Thrustmasters MFD in general for my screen.

1JxeVmW.jpg

That's a great idea too. Hiding the rest of the monitor. And you don't take a performance hit driving USB based monitors.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

I also Stacked 2 monitors, but I use virtual cockpit server, this just made it a drag and drop for the mfd onto the second monitor, I also use an app for the f18 which connects to the virtual server so now my ufc and sa page are now on an ipad between the 2 mfd and all the buttons on ipad work

Hope this helps.

IMG-2015-12589.jpg

and I use ipad for cdu for a10

IMG-2017-12596.jpg

Edited by holce

Mr Holce-

Your last image is brilliant- is this possible with normal PC and a lua file.

If so can you please share your lua file.

I have my MFCDs on second monitor-and there is still lots of space to fit few more panels.

I would love to get the side panels on my second monitor.

In the lua do you create new co-ordinates and name them as Radio panel_left etc.

I will really appreciate all the help.

Many thanks.

think this is this is the lua you are after, but as I use virtual cockpit and the app for ipad I didn't edit this myself it was all done by the software, I think this will only display the cdu display not the entire cdu so don't know how useful that will be, check out

simvc.com to see what I use, works great for me.

--Virtual cockpit server for DCS

--<DCS root directory>\Config\MonitorSetup

--Monitor setup file

_ = function(p) return p; end;

name = _('VCSScreen');

Description = 'Cockpit, left and right MFCDs and CDU Export setup'

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 0.0;

y = 0.0;

width = 3840;

height = 2160;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.7777777777777777;

}

}

LEFT_MFCD =

{

x = 1020.0;

y = 2170.0;

width = 408;

height = 410;

}

RIGHT_MFCD =

{

x = 2545.0;

y = 2170.0;

width = 410;

height = 410;

}

CDU =

{

x = 1807.0;

y = 2170.0;

width = 149;

height = 180;

Edited by holce

• 1 year later...

GDay

Iv been trying to wrap my head around the values to enter into LUA for a long time, but im not half as smart as i think i am.

My setup-1 main monitor and 2 separate tft monitors (10 or 8inch) that i would like to use as the MFDs.

My main screen rez is 1920x1080. Should i make the smaller monitors the same rez as the main..or a lower rez like 800x600?

Im lost as to what kind of values to put in the LUA for width and height for the 3 monitors.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.:smilewink:

WITH ENOUGH THRUST, LIFT IS IRRELEVANT!

GDay

Iv been trying to wrap my head around the values to enter into LUA for a long time, but im not half as smart as i think i am.

My setup-1 main monitor and 2 separate tft monitors (10 or 8inch) that i would like to use as the MFDs.

My main screen rez is 1920x1080. Should i make the smaller monitors the same rez as the main..or a lower rez like 800x600?

Im lost as to what kind of values to put in the LUA for width and height for the 3 monitors.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.:smilewink:

See if this helps. I put it together to help visualize how to set things up.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4269827&postcount=7