DCS Server Control

Well I suppose they do not have a way how to prevent remote tampering with your server if you will allow remote control. The only way to go now is to limit it for your login.

Why not do it like every other competent dedicated server games out there? Just set a separate user/password locally on the server hosting and use that to logon remotely?

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

Why not do it like every other competent dedicated server games out there? Just set a separate user/password locally on the server hosting and use that to logon remotely?

Dude, just look at what is written in the original message, they are stating there that they are working on it.

After all it's still in beta...

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

This, many times this.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

System requirements for running a session would be greatly appreciated)) Thanks

It would be roughly same as playing the game normally, minus a graphics beast. :thumbup:

You could probably get away with a slower CPU too, as it doesn't have to be involved in any rendering related work.

Edited by chrisofsweden

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz

Remember guys this feature is very much BETA and won't be for everyone. There are lots of things not to like, the terrain requirement, the reliance on a full install of DCS, and the weird remote login. But at least now we can run DCS with out a graphics card and on a much lower system requirement. This will allow us to run installs in AWS and Asure without costing a fortune every month.

It would be roughly same as playing the game normally, minus a graphics beast. :thumbup:

You could probably get away with a slower CPU too, as it doesn't have to be involved in any rendering related work.

Nonetheless, I still don't know what type of machine could run a single session. Considering how important a good GPU is to run the game smoothly, I'd like to know how the machine would behave without the graphic part.

Providing requirements is common sense when releasing a software, right ?

Edit :

Remember guys this feature is very much BETA and won't be for everyone. There are lots of things not to like, the terrain requirement, the reliance on a full install of DCS, and the weird remote login. But at least now we can run DCS with out a graphics card and on a much lower system requirement. This will allow us to run installs in AWS and Asure without costing a fortune every month.

Yes for sure it's a step in the right direction. We just need to test it ourselves to give some feedbacks to the devs.

Edited by 33-DFTC

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

Hm. About the terrain owning requirement...I hope they're not saying ALL terrains have to be owned even if your dedicated server is only hosting Caucasus missions right? Thats not what they're saying is it?

Hm. About the terrain owning requirement...I hope they're not saying ALL terrains have to be owned even if your dedicated server is only hosting Caucasus missions right? Thats not what they're saying is it?

I don't think so, I'm really hoping its a translation error. I would love to mess with it and find out, but work is always in the way.

Providing requirements is common sense when releasing a software, right ?

Sure But in this case they're not releasing a new software. It's the same software, just a new feature within it. I don't think they'll post any system requirements different than the game itself.

Perhaps if it is later released as a separate standalone package, then I would expect it.

Now I am disappointed. :(

I wanted something like software of size no more than 1GB for hosting servers.

Same, 60GB install of useless data for a dedicated server is ridiculous.

But I take the --server and --norender options for now.

I'd say that's an unrealistic expectation, although if they released a "proper" standalone dedicated server package, it could be way smaller, as no textures, skins/liveries and the like would be needed.

Basic terrain data, i.e. geometry data, would probably be needed though.

Actually, now that I think about it. You could probably just delete loads of texture and livery data on your separate DCS Server install. But I don't think there's any documentation on what data is actually required by the server.

Edited by chrisofsweden

Sure But in this case they're not releasing a new software. It's the same software, just a new feature within it. I don't think they'll post any system requirements different than the game itself.

The single most expensive hardware piece that DCS needs is the GPU ... just taking that off the requirement list allows me to use a pretty cheap PC as Server ... I will build mine with 8 GB at start, as I'm not sure that it really needs more than that.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

The terrain data are not that big. The biggest are textures.

Yeah. So thats what I'm saying. I know people having reduced their DCS install dirs by gigs, by simply removing aircraft liveries they they don't need. Possibly this could be done with other texture data aswell.

The thing here though is, that it's not a new executable so possibly some graphics data is still required for the game to load, even if started with --norender switch.

All the technical stuff

Hi @USSR_Rik,

I have a lot of questions about the dedicated server behavior and usage:

1. Why ".\DCS.exe --webgui --norender" would display the DCS WORLD splashscreen?

2. Is it normal to have crash at launch when using this specific command: ".\DCS.exe --server"

3. How do you use the -w command to allow multiple instances of the server?

4. As I understand it, you are working on allowing other people to connect to the web GUI (people with accounts different from the one used on the server. Am I right?

5. What are the minimum specs to run a dedicated server?

Could you be a bit more specific about the command usage, what they do, how to use it.

Thanks a lot, keep up the good work.

Edited by 3rd Wing - Raiden

I have 2 instances running on the same server, each instance is using ~ 15% CPU and 4GB of RAM. A BIG improvement from before.

The single most expensive hardware piece that DCS needs is the GPU ... just taking that off the requirement list allows me to use a pretty cheap PC as Server ... I will build mine with 8 GB at start, as I'm not sure that it really needs more than that.

I have 2 instances running on the same server, each instance is using ~ 15% CPU and 4GB of RAM. A BIG improvement from before.

Are you able to run both instances on the same account?

If so... maybe I can use my main account to run my dedi server, and play (on a separate computer) with a second instance, using the same account?

This might allow me to use the same map license to both run the server and my client?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Thanks, a really helpful post :)

I will start a server instance within my usual gaming PC to gain experience, while I purchase the items to build a separate Server ... I want a low energy consumption machine so I can leave it running 24/7 as my gaming PC consumes too much for that :D

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB