Built Your Map Module

gargue

How about a Map Scanner to input you own Maps

Regards,

Snowman_one

Gary Argue II

“De Oppresso Liber” — "To Free the Oppressed."

email: gargue@gmail.com

I am a Dyslexic and Disabled. So if you can't read something i wrote email me and write some back explaining and I'll get back to you.

So Now I have a lot of time to flight and learn. I fly FA-18c, AV-8a, F-15, A-10C and X-plane 777 and 737.

I Can't fly for real any more and can't work :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Unfortunately, making maps is a bit more complicated.

1 you need to know how to use DEMs files witch are radar altitude mapos taken from satelights.

2 Then you need to apply texture files to '"tiles"

3 I dont know how you appply roads in DCS in IL-2 you hjad to paint tyhem on a special layer.

4 Place every object in the right place, every house, bridge, tunnel, etc...

5 apply the espcial attributes to tehairports, and other special objects.. so Yeah its aLOT of work.

I dont know how to build my own spceial 3d Objecta, a prequisite today to get the map making tools...

So yeah, Go figure. I will never be able to make maps...

• 4 weeks later...

1 you need to know how to use DEMs files witch are radar altitude mapos taken from satelights.

3 I dont know how you appply roads in DCS in IL-2 you hjad to paint tyhem on a special layer.

5 apply the espcial attributes to tehairports, and other special objects.. so Yeah its aLOT of work.

I dont know how to build my own spceial 3d Objecta, a prequisite today to get the map making tools...

1. DEMs are easy to use.

2-5... Maps in DCS seem to be giant 3D obects. They don't work like the image file maps Il2 had.

Megalax's Livery Studio

My Liveries in the User Files

I'll stick a maple leaf on anything...

It's too bad creating maps is closed.

I'd love to take some of the techniques shown on Youtube to import Google or OSM data into Blender to create maps of my local area. Would be a blast to fly the Yak down some of these valleys.

1. DEMs are easy to use.

2-5... Maps in DCS seem to be giant 3D obects. They don't work like the image file maps Il2 had.

1. Oh I know I did use DEM's to make several IL-2 maps.

2. Yeap that is the part tha leaves me out ;)....

Guess i'll have to learn to use a 3D tool or something...

About How working the Map Building on DCS, check here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4211634&postcount=18

Finally watched this - very cool! Thanks for linking.

Time to fire up Blender and see if I can pull together enough models and data to get something in a state that is ready for 3DS Max and TDK. :) It's an amazing amount of work that requires a depth of knowledge I don't have now.

For a flightsim, definitely the heightmap (DEM) is the easiest part hence its low res requirement meaning that many different sources are freely available.

The "special layer", also called a thematic layers, is not that much of a problem. One can use a GIS software to automatically classify different kinds of soils and vegetations based on their spectral profiles: There are quite a few good resolution sources for multispectral remote sensing imagery that are free like Landsat or Sentinel missions that will perfectly fit the requirements. Also on the "special layer", there are plenty of sources for vector data, that is, points, lines and polygons, respectively buildings, roads and forests for example, that are freely available and can save a ton of time. For a tank or infantry game, than that's another story because not only one needs fairly high (and expensive) resolution heightmaps*, but also imagery and the proper parameters for each different kind of soil (mud has different physical properties than gravel and so on.). This usually might require some ground truth, there is, an actual visit to the location to collect real data that can be correlated to remote sensing data.

*Even high res data may not be appropriate depending on the soil types and radar band, for example, a good res (<10m/px) L band radar has quite a high penetration into soft dry soils, like desert sand, so for a desert map, it would not be approapriate; the resulting surface model would actually reflect the underground: quite useful for archeology where one can see up to 1m below a sand dune. For this same desert map, a X band radar, like Tandem X/Terrasar would be more appropriate. On the other hand, if one has a lot of vegetation its far more interesting to use the L band, for example, so it can perhaps penetrate the canopy of trees and result in a terrain model (vs surface model= DTM vs DSM).

Once all this data is processed into formats that can be imported into DCS, the real work begins, I guess. That means, the workflow, the conversion, the importing, the texturing, the tiling, the coding and parameters, the modeling & texturing and placement of objects and finally detailing. I'd say its more time consuming than its difficult, but I could be wrong.

Edited by stormridersp

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png