Beta or stable?

john4pap

I've been playing DCS for a while now, but only now trying to get into multiplayer. So, my question is, do I have to choose stable or open beta in order to view the most servers? If I switch to beta do I lose the servers that I've been playing on my stable version?

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

I've been playing DCS for a while now, but only now trying to get into multiplayer. So, my question is, do I have to choose stable or open beta in order to view the most servers? If I switch to beta do I lose the servers that I've been playing on my stable version?

I don't know the technical answer to this, but I recently switched over (to beta) last month to check out the new carrier and was surprised they had nearly the same amount of servers available in multiplayer.

At this point though, the Stable version has all the updates. No real need to go beta unless you really have to see the early release of stuff in the future.

I don't know the technical answer to this, but I recently switched over (to beta) last month to check out the new carrier and was surprised they had nearly the same amount of servers available in multiplayer.

At this point though, the Stable version has all the updates. No real need to go beta unless you really have to see the early release of stuff in the future.

Same here, yet not for the carrier but the mirage. But now I'm back on stable and although I didn't play much multiplayer in the few months I was using beta, I have the impression that the servers are now fewer. Funny thing is that I think that some servers mention "open beta" on their names, yet still I'm able to access them... It's a bit confusing.

Thanks for your answer!

There is more servers on Beta version than on Stable, they did that cause stable wasn't updated for about 5 months,

but since stable is updated now and beta is completely bugged, I wonder will they will be moving back to stable.

The Cold War 1947 - 1991 (used to have a different name years ago) server used to run on Stable. Updates for Open Beta used to be just around the corner for Stable - more or less regular intervals. At some point the time gap between releasing an update for Open Beta and then for Stable was growing wider. Players and servers (or maybe servers and players is more accurate) started moving to Open Beta and eventually I ended up hosting the Cold War server on Open Beta as well.

I only have Open Beta on my own PC as well as the hosting machine but frankly I'm a bit curious and would like to know how many servers/players are on Stable now that it's being discussed if someone could provide some info in that regard.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

The Cold War 1947 - 1991 (used to have a different name years ago) server used to run on Stable. Updates for Open Beta used to be just around the corner for Stable - more or less regular intervals. At some point the time gap between releasing an update for Open Beta and then for Stable was growing wider. Players and servers (or maybe servers and players is more accurate) started moving to Open Beta and eventually I ended up hosting the Cold War server on Open Beta as well.

I only have Open Beta on my own PC as well as the hosting machine but frankly I'm a bit curious and would like to know how many servers/players are on Stable now that it's being discussed if someone could provide some info in that regard.

ED has all the stats on this, after all it is their master server all DCS clients and servers report to, they could tell very easily how many are active on each build

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

Thank you all! I think that I now understand how it works.

I did switch to open beta last night and although I cannot say anything about players, it looks like there are four or five times more servers on open beta.

It also looks like ED should do something about this open beta vs stable logic. Not only does it divide the community, but it also isn't very intuitive for new players.

It also looks like ED should do something about this open beta vs stable logic. Not only does it divide the community, but it also isn't very intuitive for new players.

I fully agree with you!!!

F-16C, M2000C, Persian Gulf

Ryzen 5 3600, RX 5700 XT, 32GB ram, Odyssey HMD+, Home-made TrackHat, X56 Hotas.

I mentioned that once in a detailed thread years ago. I believe it was around the time when updates for Open Beta were far more frequent for Stable. The time many servers including the Cold War one switched over to Open Beta.

I don't think they'll change this policy and I think I understand the commercial reasons behind it which would make sense to them and less to many customers.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com