A-10 Being Retired

smnwrx

I'm not 100% sure that actually means the pilots themselves are necessarily making that transition though (pilots can be transferred differently than the organization itself) - but on the other hand, they're paid to do a job and their job is to fly whatever they're told to fly, so perhaps.

GG, thanks, did not know that. I assumed there were plumbing reasons why that couldn't be done, but there is that thing with assumptions. :) Do you know if the 35's have the same capability?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the F-35 will be a capability in its own right long before it can effectively take over the role of current aircraft like A-10. Don't forget the A-10 is capable of a different way of doing CAS than other 4th gen aircraft, that fly faster and are less time overhead (Mirage 2000 eg needs a 3 mile circle pattern to be able to stay aloft over the target zone). Before one has developped good CAS procedures with a fifth gen aircraft that engages from much higher altitudes with visor targetting (still completely immatre), it will take a decade or more (if gestation time of F-16, Typhoon, Rafale are an indication).

I'm not sure what the F-35 will be operationally capable of in 2020, but it will certainly not be CAS and even not SEAD. I guess it will be limited QRA and first-day-of-conflict strike.

It is much more likely that by then UAV remote piloting tech and sensor situational awareness will have evolved in such a way that a follow-on predator can do the A-10's job, however with certainly less payload.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, I'm not so sure: we are having a lot of fun "flying" aircraft from our comfy seats at home, don't we? And we are not even flying over a real terrain. Add to that that most flying on F-22 and F-35 is already in the simulator!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What happen to a pilot when their aircraft gets send to bone yard? I'm guessing most A-10C pilots are in the middle or near the end of their flying career, so are they forced to fly helos or retired? I can't imagine the military wanting to spend money to put them in F-35s or even the F-15s.

In the past some transitioned to the new ACFT some move to other units to fly the same aircraft type. Our current group commander for the 476th Fighter Group flew F-22s and F-16s in the past and now fly's A-10s.

There is that Irish sense of humor again.

HA HA HA YOUR KILLING ME RIPTIDE.

I need, I need, I need... What about my wants? QuickSilver original.

"Off with his job" Mr Burns on the Simpsons.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As long as they replace them with AT-802Us, I'll be happy.

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

Agreed. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

You know this is totally off topic but..... I wonder if they ever made a military hang glider. Maybe they have them fly those one day heh.

I need, I need, I need... What about my wants? QuickSilver original.

"Off with his job" Mr Burns on the Simpsons.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The 47th Fighter Squadron (A-10C) at barksdale AFB are slated to retire 18 and 3 reassign of them.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

• 11 months later...

"SP" A-10s will disappear in this year.

http://www.spangdahlem.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123334517

1/31/2013 - SPANGDAHLEM AIR BASE, Germany -- Spangdahlem Air Base's 81st Fighter Squadron is scheduled to inactivate this year as a result of the overall U.S. defense budget cuts.

The 81 FS inactivation became official upon the termination of the Continuing Resolution provision that prohibited the "retirement, divestiture, realignment and transfer" of aircraft. The Fiscal Year 2013 National Defense Authorization Act does not prohibit these actions.

Approximately 500 personnel will be affected by the inactivation.

The 81 FS flies the A-10 Thunderbolt II, or "Warthog," a twin-engine jet aircraft capable of close air support for ground forces.

"While we are disappointed that we will no longer be in Europe supporting the 52nd Fighter Wing's mission, we realize this is just another chapter in the life of a fighter squadron," said U.S. Air Force Lt. Col. Clint Eichelberger, 81st Fighter Squadron commander. "As A-10 pilots, we will continue to lend decisive combat power around the world by supporting combatant command authorities with deployable close air support and combat search and rescue expertise."

Specific plans to relocate the squadron's A-10s are not yet finalized; however, the squadron is currently moving some aircraft to Moody Air Force Base, Georgia, and Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz., to support training requirements and subsidize the capabilities of the A-10 squadrons. The remaining aircraft and personnel will withdraw from Spangdahlem AB within the year.

Interesting choice of relocation.

Why is that, the base in Arizona is the A-10 training base.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Indeed... Moody and DM are both huge A-10 bases. I understand the logistical reasons for putting all the planes in one place (like the herks at little rock), but it just doesn't make sense to me tactically. All the eggs in one basket, so to speak... but what do I know? I have stripes, not stars. LOL.

i5-4670K@4.5GHz / 16 GB RAM / SSD / GTX1080

Rift CV1 / G-seat / modded FFB HOTAS

• 7 months later...

The A-10c didn't earn it's reputation in the Congressional Chamber's, it earned it the hard way. War is too important to let politicians call our shots...

Man I could really use a navigator right about now.

i7-3770K @ Stock

MSI GD-65 Z77 Mobo

G.Skill Ripjaws Z [16GB] @ 2133 Mhz

AMD Radeon HD 7950 [sapphire Tech] @ 1150/1600 Mhz

OCZ Vector 256GB [C:/]

Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB @ 5900RPM [D:/]

Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB @ 7200 [E:/]

Western Digital Blue 1TB @ 7200 [H:/]

Corsair AX850 PSU

Corsair 650D Case [so Sexy <3]