Case I Check List and Illustrations

kennyboy01

Thanks Kenny! :thumbup:

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

A very clear and concise one-pager.

The only points I would make are:

1. Since the flight deck is at 9 degrees to the carrier's fore-and-aft line, should not the finals turn be started at 9 degrees past the beam?

2. I am not sure what the 290' marking at the threshold represents.

3. (I hesitate to put this one) the heights are given as agl.

All very minor quibbles, I know. And thanks - a copy will go in my 'Info Folder'

A few things don't look quite right to me...

The break is not a 30 degree (presumably you mean bank angle?) turn. It's whatever is necessary to pull 3.5g and maintain 800'.

Gear and flaps should be deployed as soon as airspeed is below 250kts. The position in the illustration makes it look much later.

I thought 800' was maintained throughout the break, and altitude reduced to 600' on the downwind? Might be wrong about that though.

As suggested above, the final turn should begin when approximately opposite the round down, which is perpendicular to the runway therefore ~9degs past the BRC.

Lastly, things at the bottom of the image are very compressed which makes the transition to final appear very abrupt. Appreciate it's difficult to illustrate this to scale (and also account for forward movement of the boat), but it could be much smoother. See attached image.

FinalTurn.jpg.f568433062d0a2553e88300dc14851a2.jpg

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

As suggested above, the final turn should begin when approximately opposite the round down, which is perpendicular to the runway therefore ~9degs past the BRC.

I thought the turn was inline with the back of the boat, not 9degrees past? I'd have thought that would put you too far back. I could be wrong...

I thought 800' was maintained throughout the break, and altitude reduced to 600' on the downwind? Might be wrong about that though.

This is a good question. When I started trying Case I, breaking 1.5nm in front of the boat, I waited until straight and level on downwind to descend to 600ft also. As I brought this distance down to break at the bow, I found you don't really get any downwind, so I guess you have to descend in the break? I'm also not sure what the rules/proceedure for this is either and would like to know too.

I think he means deck angle. If the ship is steaming due north the deck will be at 290.

That would be right if due north were 300 degrees.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

This is a good question. When I started trying Case I, breaking 1.5nm in front of the boat, I waited until straight and level on downwind to descend to 600ft also. As I brought this distance down to break at the bow, I found you don't really get any downwind, so I guess you have to descend in the break? I'm also not sure what the rules/proceedure for this is either and would like to know too.

You should try to maintain 800' throughout the break. Reason: If you would start decending during the break, you wouldn't reduce airspeed as much as if you keep your nose high enough and pull G enough to remain on altitude.

(Source: Lex and Gregory Brett)

That said, personally I usually start decending gradually just before I reach the downwind (10 degrees before or so), since I feel it gives me a smoother transition to the downwind decent. That is just my own technique though, and I don't know if anyone uses it IRL.

You should try to maintain 800' throughout the break. Reason: If you would start decending during the break, you wouldn't reduce airspeed as much as if you keep your nose high enough and pull G enough to remain on altitude.

(Source: Lex and Gregory Brett)

That said, personally I usually start decending gradually just before I reach the downwind (10 degrees before or so), since I feel it gives me a smoother transition to the downwind decent. That is just my own technique though, and I don't know if anyone uses it IRL.

Yeah.. I think it's a level break, so it's not about trying..you have to maintain 800'

Other points.

- Break 0.5 - 1nm --> Quoting Gregory Brett "Don't break until you pass 1nm pass the ship" It's awkward to break before that

- I don't think the 30 degrees bank angle should be a hard number, It's a level turn, and your angle should and will vary depending on your configuration.

- VVI on the groove is to help alignment, and should be used only as a reference until you acquire the ball.