Newbie to ground forces, Unsure how to work this Module

Prosperity

I got Ground forces to experience things from the ground, the vidoes look quite amazing but when i started for the first time I remember that I don't have the required modules but i went through with it. No big deal, just a warning message. But how do i even drive a ground vehicle? is it just tanks? or do we get to operate utility vehicles and other vehicles with a weapon mounted on?

from f10 map, as a ground commander or game master, there is an icon in the top left with a picture of a tank. select the unit you want to control. If it is controllable you can click that button and enter that vehicle. It's all in the docs on your instalation in the hard drive.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

As a side note, you can even control ground units from an aircraft, both directly and indirectly via the F10 map, if the "Pilot can control vehicles" option is enabled in the mission editor.

When you assume direct control of a vehicle while flying, AI will take over your aircraft until you return. Most of the time they just try to RTB.

• 3 months later...

OK, I've read the manual and still not working properly.

I have a simple Tiger 1 versus 1 Sherman mission in Carpaquet. I set up as the game master and start mission. If I don't click on the tank and quickly go alt + J it starts firing automatically and all I can do is drive it.

If I do get into it then I can drive it, sometimes move the turret, get binocular view and fire main gun ONLY with space bar, but can't aim, I get no information on reloading either - the markings in binocular view are black and it doesn't turn the turret and gun just the view. The mouse moves my view around in binocular view, I've tried pressing Q and E but no changes are visible. The sherman fires at me and I can only fire where the gun points - sometimes (I expected that though!)

Now I can't move the turret and can't fire. I've checked the controls and they say left mouse or space bar fires = nothing, arrow keys turn turret = nothing. All I can do is drive the thing until the Sherman eventually hits a weak spot. I've tried changing from driver (Ctrl+C) to gunner but no joy. I've found and followed the manual but when it says change weapons using E nothing happens. It's so user unfriendly!

Also it crashes a lot! my PC is powerful and I have no problems flying planes in DCS at full high settings. Driving me mad! I really wanted to shoot a few tanks up but alas no.

Any tips please?

Edited by Captain Gordon
needed more detail

Same here - As far as I can tell the WW2 assets and CA are still very, very much WIP.

If it's any help (not much) I have been able to run the Firefly (and Tiger 2) by doing the following:

a) Put an AA gun (Bofors for Allied or flak 30 for German) someplace irrelevant on the map.

b)When the map loads take control of the AA gun first then jump to the tank.

c) I get no HUD/gunsight or info of any sort. Pressing "E" switches between AP and HE (I think). Spacebar to fire. B for binoculars works. No external view with Insert. Arrow keys to move turret/aim gun. Very clunky at this point.

Frankly the T-55 or something more modern might be a better choice for now.

The visibility/play-ability issues for the Normandy map still need a lot of tweaking. Bocage fighting usually involved having scout infantry sneaking around and trying to identify the other side's positions. As far as I can tell nothing is sneaking up on the AI on the Normandy map at this point. They seem to have perfect under the trees 360 deg vision which you can't effectively block even with smoke (?). Your POV in the tanks is so high you can't see anything but the trees.

The Normandy map is so nice hope ED spends some time on this to make it somewhat playable. There's really no other combo strategy/shooter out there for WW2 is there(?) - a lot of potential.

• 2 weeks later...

TBH, having experimented with CA myself, it's really in a pretty mediocre state regarding functionality, bugginess, etc. I'd wait for the coming overhaul before I invested much time/effort into it.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

TBH, having experimented with CA myself, it's really in a pretty mediocre state regarding functionality, bugginess, etc. I'd wait for the coming overhaul before I invested much time/effort into it.

So they are going update the CA module? I ask because I've always been interested in it. It seems like it would compliment my fondness of flying the choppers. If this is common knowledge my apologies. I don't check the forums regularly.

Yeah, there's supposed to be a CA 2.0 in the pipeline someday down the future, once upon a time there were evenhints of an M1A1 Abrams module. None of it will be until after the 2.5 merge, though. They're a bit busy with overhauling the graphics engine, recoding radar functionality, building an F-18, and God only knows what else lol Fixing CA is fairly low priority right now :p

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

CA is fairly low priority right now :p

I would agree with this statement, especially with regard to CA in DCS 2.anything.

If Anything, I'm sure they'll try to deal with any problems and/or improvements to CA while still in 1.5 to help it merge into 2.whatever when the time comes.

Of course, I have no idea so I am purely speculating.

But I definitely agree, CA is a low priority, especially with regards to being able to Jump In and start driving everything around as a Ground Based Weapons Sim/Game.

SnowTiger:joystick: