Why not more map development?

Boris

I really welcome this thread as it is something that has been on my mind for some time. I think it is fair to say that the aircraft now in DCS are first class, they would rival the quality of models in any platform. But the business of scenery has been the weak spot for a while. I've no problem with the quality of the scenery - though it is good to hear that further detail is being built in to the Caucuses - and the Nevada map is beautiful. Also its great that other maps are in development, Straits of Hormuz, Normandy etc. But to be honest I think that what is really needed is BIGGER maps. Especially now that there are jet fighters, covering the whole map does not take too much time at all, they need more room to range around in, I have to say that if something the size of ORBX open LC were supplied Id be over the moon. It wouldn't all need intense detail because this is all about Flight, not looking at pretty scenery. I take the point about interacting with the maps, but perhaps only certain areas would need be interacted with? But with the expansion in the sophistication , speed and range of the aircraft I do think it will become more and more important that the range of environmental possibilities increase also.

Neil

Edited by Neil Gardner

Excuse me adding an addendum but I just wanted to say how much I enjoy DCS and the level of detail and sophistication is often breath -taking. So I didn't want to imply that it might be easy to do what I've suggested, to reproduce that amount of detail over a larger area would certainly take time..

map

I like to fly above coastlines or a lot of islands so i would like to see a map with many islands.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

---- " In Peace.....Prepare to War "--------

Wishlist : F-4 Phantom / F-20 TigerShark / Su-34

Processor Core i7 4790, 32 Gb RAM, 2 Tb SSHD, GTX 750 2Gb, 1920X1080 Gaming Monitor, Senze Joypad, Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit, VMware Workstation 12 for WindowsXP with Office 2007 and Linux OpenSUSE for Net Access.

I like to fly above coastlines or a lot of islands so i would like to see a map with many islands.

You mean like this:

SoZ2_zpsbu5brgcf.png

There are lots of other small and large islands in the northern part of the Strait. Matched with the craggy topography of Oman and mangrove swamps on the coast of Iran, it will be a very interesting place to fly. :)

Also, the maps will get bigger over time. Wags has said this in the past, but the growth has to be incremental to deliver the quality that ED desires. The high detail area of the Strait of Hormuz map is set to be the largest yet (390 km x 390 km) with a large low detail area around it (from what has been said).

This map in particular would benefit substantially from a large low detail since the areas around the Strait (in a east-west direction at least) are largely water. It would really increase the operational flexibility of the map if the low detail area to the east extended into the Northern Arabian Sea. It was common for aircraft carriers on GONZO station (Gulf of Oman Northern Zone) to spend a lot of their time in the Arabian Sea off Oman. This allowed them to conduct training (CQ, intercept training) in a lower threat environment and would also move to this area while on alert status (many carriers on GONZO would carry out flight ops 5-6 days per week with 1-2 days of alert status in between - often further east in the Gulf of Oman or in the Arabian Sea).

As with Normandy, these low detail areas could be really helpful for a lot of different gameplay aspects. I hope it is considered. :)

-Nick

I'd even be happy with some fictional maps with an improved model for Combined Arms too. I think that's a module that has been neglected - I know this is primarily a flight sim, but in a multiplayer campaign it can be really handy!

• Windows 10 Home - 64 Bit
  • Intel Core i7-9770K
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti
  • Oculus Rift S

• 2 months later...

Community Modding MAP Projects Supporter

I wish we could make community maps. Spread the work, let us help.

Now that is something I have mentioned a few times in past, even if its similar to some other older combat sims and/or flight sims that do this as a community where texturing is not so good at least you can start with a build for a global map adding the correct Geo-locations of airbases, towns, small cities, bridges and Capital cities, trees and lakes etc.

This could work in to ways either for community modding or it would assist the development of the sim by handing all work completed to ED once finished so they can add community work with their pro-maps joining and making a globe environment and release in updates.

"Community Modding" - creating stuff is what builds gaming communities and sims are no different its important to allow and provide these necessary tools for projects that allow a game community to flourish.

Then once ED are ready to work on MAPS in future they can re-texture and add more content.

So then a world map would have been made already by the community and many hours / years saved in hard work.

I know this can be done and reach some descent level of map creation by online discussions with people that create stuff for other sims/games as free community work.

There are heaps of examples and tutorials online already using 3DSMAX like these .......

Or even using Blender software which is open source trouble free for those willing get it here:- https://www.blender.org/

Just need the right tools and plugins and a willing community.

So I agree would be kool and a great community working and building great things together.

Maybe in future it might be like this who knows!

Edited by WRAITH

DCS FORUM SIG.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
You mean like this:

SoZ2_zpsbu5brgcf.png

There are lots of other small and large islands in the northern part of the Strait. Matched with the craggy topography of Oman and mangrove swamps on the coast of Iran, it will be a very interesting place to fly. :)

Also, the maps will get bigger over time. Wags has said this in the past, but the growth has to be incremental to deliver the quality that ED desires. The high detail area of the Strait of Hormuz map is set to be the largest yet (390 km x 390 km) with a large low detail area around it (from what has been said).

This map in particular would benefit substantially from a large low detail since the areas around the Strait (in a east-west direction at least) are largely water. It would really increase the operational flexibility of the map if the low detail area to the east extended into the Northern Arabian Sea. It was common for aircraft carriers on GONZO station (Gulf of Oman Northern Zone) to spend a lot of their time in the Arabian Sea off Oman. This allowed them to conduct training (CQ, intercept training) in a lower threat environment and would also move to this area while on alert status (many carriers on GONZO would carry out flight ops 5-6 days per week with 1-2 days of alert status in between - often further east in the Gulf of Oman or in the Arabian Sea).

As with Normandy, these low detail areas could be really helpful for a lot of different gameplay aspects. I hope it is considered. :)

-Nick

IMHO, we do need way more of Iran over here. The UAE Air Force main airbase is in Al Dhafra, which is close to Abu Dhabi (I once had the chance to see two USAF F-22 on final at distance!), adding as well the new airbase being constructed close to the border with Saudi Arabia and Oman. If you add more terrain down south, there is not a lot more of detail you will have besides small towns as the area is part of the Empty Quadrant. I know I may sound like the typical fanboy who wants everything now... but those air bases locations in UAE don't make any sense: Al Maktoum has just been opened a couple of years ago (plus is civilian and barely operational) and I highly doubt Dubai International would be use as a military one due to being surrounded by the city itself. What could be interesting is the large amount of wide highways in the country, which I'm sure they could be easily used as improvised runways.

Just my two cents!

Edited by Veritech

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Alis Aquilae Aut Pax Aut Bellum"

Veritech's DCS YouTube Channel

• 3 months later...

Afghanistan, Crimea and Syria are in development

The current theaters included in TBS are the Caucasus region, the Nevada Test and Training Range (NTTR), and the Strait of Hormuz region. As we develop additional theaters such as Afghanistan and the Ukraine/Crimea, we continue to update and add to these current theaters (such as the National Training Center).

source: http://www.thebattlesim.com/theater_environment/

TBS allows the import of multiple theater map environments. The Black Sea region map consists of the western Caucasus and includes much of Georgia. The Nevada Test and Training Range (NTTR) has the largest contiguous air and ground space available for peacetime military operations in the free world. Other map environments are also in development that include the Strait of Hormuz, Afghanistan, Syria, and Crimea.

source: http://www.thebattlesim.com/index.php

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Flanker driver since 1996

• 2 weeks later...

So, on the TBS website it says that TBS is based on DCS... What is TBS? Is it like the DCS version reserved for military then?

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

• 3 weeks later...

I've been looking for map making details to be able to create maps for DCS World but have only come across very old exporter tools(max-plugins).

Does anyone know where the sdk map tools are, or indeed if there are any that have been released that are currently up to date that can be used with either Maya 2016 or 3dsMax 2010 x64 or above? Thank you.

I've been looking for map making details to be able to create maps for DCS World but have only come across very old exporter tools(max-plugins).

Does anyone know where the sdk map tools are, or indeed if there are any that have been released that are currently up to date that can be used with either Maya 2016 or 3dsMax 2010 x64 or above? Thank you.

AFAIK Map tools are only given to official 3rd party devs by ED.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

AFAIK Map tools are only given to offiocial 3rd party devs by ED.

Hi QuiGon. Thanks for the reply.

Somehow that doesn't make sense for ED to be doing that as they have already created a sticky and WIKI thread promoting map creation within the community? Surely if they were only allowing official 3rd party devs to do it then all those official sticky/WKI threads would be deleted?

Plus the old official tools are still freely available for download. Maybe they still work? But I doubt it very much considering their age and all the DCS World updates that have been released since then. :)

I really would like to know for sure what's happening with the Map SDK Tools.

Somehow that doesn't make sense for ED to be doing that as they have already created a sticky and WIKI thread promoting map creation within the community?

They did that? I was not aware of that. Where can I find it?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• ED Team

I dont think the wiki is ED controlled and/or maintained, either way, that map making info is for the old version and probably should be removed, or marked as old.

If you want access to the new tools, you need to apply to ED for a 3rd Party agreement.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• 7 months later...

Still want a complete Vietnam map including Laos! Maybe one day...

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

i would like to see non desert maps with seasonal textures

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

+ 10

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

Hi QuiGon. Thanks for the reply.

Somehow that doesn't make sense for ED to be doing that as they have already created a sticky and WIKI thread promoting map creation within the community? Surely if they were only allowing official 3rd party devs to do it then all those official sticky/WKI threads would be deleted?

Plus the old official tools are still freely available for download. Maybe they still work? But I doubt it very much considering their age and all the DCS World updates that have been released since then. :)

I really would like to know for sure what's happening with the Map SDK Tools.

I understand there's a want to keep a certain barrier for content with ED simulations, perhaps in case anything is perceived to taint the brand.

Though I am curious as to what the barrier is, a portfolio likely perhaps, or feed someone with Garibaldi biscuits and complements. I am becoming tempted to begin development of content for DCS, I had once upon a time recreated in high fidelity a map for FarCry of the Isle of Portland using isohypses* from the 19th century. But without knowing how it's done in DCS World, nor the specific SDK \_(o.O)_/

*Converted via various means to an awful gray-scale and then tidied up by hand with the SDK tools.

Edited by ouPhrontis

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

• 2 weeks later...

Anything new with VEAO continuing work on maps? I know there venture with other civlian sims went under when Flight Sim World crashed and burned. Hope they come back to DCS and since 2.5 is out. Still have faith they can pull some good modules out.