The most beautiful Spitfire footage I have ver seen

Wow, great footage. I hope that one day, soon, we will have simulators that look very nearly like this.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

"Wow, great footage. I hope that one day, soon, we will have simulators that look very nearly like this."

At first, thanks original poster, very nice vid.

I'm just asking myself if we don't have such colors in our sims because of technical problems or if it is some kind of "artistic" choice of the dev teams (remember Oleg and his strange "greens", be sure).

Reflectivity.

This property of a surface or substance defines how it appears in any given light source and ergo how it is itself lit, not only by the light source but by the light being scattered by the environment around it, and how it in turn scatters light and effects it's environment.

Ambient occlusion processing in modern graphics engines does a good approximation of this but it just that - an approximation.

Until you model the chemical composition & reflectivity of every surface and then model each photon of light and it's interactions with all these surfaces before being captured by a camera then any virtual environment will be an artistic interpretation of reality because at some point someone has to make the decision 'I think it looks like this'. Approximation, interpretation. Is that not art?

Anyhoo, what a glorious video. I for one was captivated.

Edited by DD_Fenrir

• 5 months later...

Only an 109 is missing from the scenes.. to shoot down that Spitty :))

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

Spectacular, would be even greater with Merlin sound imo, piano music is more fitting to a sailplane.

Would be almost impossible to do, though, as the only thing you can hear from camera plane with opened canopy (as they usually do for air to air photo & camera sessions) is the roar of your own engine and the hurricane of the wind noise. The neat and clean fly-by sample added in post-processing at the beginning of the clip worked OK'ish only because of the kind of fly-by sequence of the video itself :D.

On the other hand, I guess one might add a sample of ground run-up at constant RPM - that could do the trick...

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 3 weeks later...
Only an 109 is missing from the scenes.. to shoot down that Spitty :))

I am sure the opposite was the case. Or did Germany win the Battle of Britain? I forget what happened there, but I have a suspicion that the outcome favoured the guys in Spitfires and Hurricanes even though they were outnumbered and according to some, outclassed.

:music_whistling: :music_whistling: :music_whistling:

I am sure the opposite was the case. Or did Germany win the Battle of Britain? I forget what happened there, but I have a suspicion that the outcome favoured the guys in Spitfires and Hurricanes even though they were outnumbered and according to some, outclassed.

:music_whistling: :music_whistling: :music_whistling:

I'm terribly sorry, but I beg to differ:

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5