Bird Percentage

Yes but with 100% setting engine troubles are a bit too frequent! I can't say that's realistic 'cause you'd have 2 or 3 engine flamouts daily with every major airport. With my FC2.0 experience I guess I had like 10 bird strikes so far in 40 something takeoffs I managed to pull in the last 4 weeks since I installed it!

Imagine Frankfurt with 150+ flights with 5 birdstrikes each day, scary if true!

The statistical debade has been and probably will be endless. There was quite a bit of back-and-forth on the beta forums also and internally among the staff. I don't think it's worthwhile trying to prove it either way. That's why there is a slider. :)

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

The statistical debade has been and probably will be endless. There was quite a bit of back-and-forth on the beta forums also and internally among the staff. I don't think it's worthwhile trying to prove it either way. That's why there is a slider. :)

Indeed, however I still find 100% a bit too much so I keep mine reduced to none!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Indeed, however I still find 100% a bit too much so I keep mine reduced to none!

I think most players will do the same. As mentioned above though, this feature has as much to do with discouraging unrealistic low-level flying in multiplayer as it does with strict realism in single-player.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

I got such engine failures on my SU-27 and MIG-29 too but they have their inlets grill damped until the landing gears are down. I mean I got then smoking on runway itself.

Now that would be really neat - being able to shut the inlets for low altitude flight...

Discouraging pilots to fly NOE?! But why if it works IRL? I smell Yoda here!

LOL!

I think someone has changed their aftershave.

"Birds" is a "MP prevent people from abusing the game mechanism and the 'no consequence from dying' that is available in a game".

Real pilots have other consequences from flying low.

As such the "Birds" is a nice mechanism for server admins who wish to control how often people fly low to (ab)use the game mechanisms in MP. :)

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

Imagine Frankfurt with 150+ flights with 5 birdstrikes each day, scary if true!

You mean Frankfurt / Germany ?

Only 150+ movements a day ?

In 2009, they had 463.111 movements, equals 1268 take-off and landings per day !

Source: http://www.fraport.com/cms/investor_relations/rubrik/25/25481.latest_figures.htm

Edited by golfsierra2

kind regards,

Raven....

[sigpic]http://www.crc-mindreader.de/CRT/images/Birds2011.gif[/sigpic]

You mean Frankfurt / Germany ?

Only 150+ movements a day ?

In 2009, they had 463.111 movements, equals 1268 take-off and landings per day !

Source: http://www.fraport.com/cms/investor_relations/rubrik/25/25481.latest_figures.htm

Yeah I stand corrected! How many birds around Frankfurt? How many engine failures?

Nevermind, it's explained what the "birds" do in FC and I understand it!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Large airports have dedicated personnel and procedures to keep animals away. Hence you would expect to get less bird strikes there then a random piece of land in which you fly low over.

Maybe this is something to implement? Decreasing the bird strike in game over airfields so you can have the setting at 100%, yet still takeoff with less risk :)

Edit for fun: I would like, not only to have bird strikes featured, but also turtle invasion. See my link for explanation :D

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/07/09/turtles-invade-jfk-airpor_n_228527.html

Edited by X-man

2075291193_EDSig.png.650cd56f2b9a043311112721c4215a47.png

64th Aggressor Squadron
Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron
TS: 135.181.115.54

So if we install FC2, it´s on, we have to edit the file to turn it off?

Greetings

Dont assume a problem before you have looked - there's an option for it, you see. ;)

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

070918-F-1234C-002.JPG

The photo shows the damage incurred by a T-38 aircraft after a black vulture strike. (U.S. Air Force courtesy photo)

070918-F-1234C-001.JPG

The photo shows the damage incurred by a T-1 aircraft after a black vulture strike. (U.S. Air Force courtesy photo)

• Like 1

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

What's the default bird strike setting on FC 2.0, no config files altered, fresh install?

100%

How often is that you may ask?

Don't know - it's a relative scale. If you think 100% is too much, set it lower.

If you think it's too little, set it higher.

The intent is to add a bit of danger in MP session if you stay low for too long, or too often.

Nothing visual in SP/MP - just the added supprise when your firewarning lights up.

I would love to see a visual on the birds, would be cool. XP has it, check this vid out at about 1:02:

Yeah, X-planes has birds but it does not have functioning:

Mk82, Mk84, MK20, LAU-61, 30mm ammo, Tow missiles, Helfires, Vikhr, SPPU-22, AIM-9, AIM-120, R-27 R-77, R-73, R-60, KH-25ML, KH-25MPU, KH-28, KAB-500, Fab-500/250/100, SAB-100, S-8 rockets, S-13, S-24, S-25, S-25L, 20mm ammo, SA-8, SA-9, SA-13, SA-10, SA-11, SA-6, SA-7, Patriots SAM, Hawk, Gepards, M-1A1, Leopards, 105mm, 120mm, KMGU, AIM-7, etc. Just saying :thumbup::smartass:

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..