VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support

AMVI_Rider

VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support  

169 members have voted

1. 1. VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support

• Yes
    • No

You just need to add a "Tab" on the Kneeboard to activate the kneeboard overlay.

Either adding a Notes tab or a document will make it show.

Okay, I will try this. Thanks

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Amazing tool, finally had a free moment to install and test it the other day. Definitely a game changer. Especially like the ability to load anything even after in the jet. Doesn’t require any dcs restarts for the kneeboard to update.

Thanks!

If only one of those kneeboard tabs could be Twitch chat, it would make my life so much more easier when flying and streaming.

Edited by =Panther=

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

From the "MUDSPIKE AMA WITH EAGLE DYNAMICS SENIOR PRODUCER MATT WAGNER" article published here:

https://www.mudspike.com/mudspike-ama-with-eagle-dynamics-senior-producer-matt-wagner/

"It’s a good idea to have the possibility to make notes on a pad in VR. We’ll think about it and implement as additional game feature in VR mode."

I think everybody here agree :smartass:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Ryzen 5 3600X - 32GB DD4 3200C14 Win10 64 - Geforce GTX 1080Ti

Hotas Warhog + Virpil T-50 base - Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals - Cougar MFCDs - Custom head tracker

35" UWQHD main display + 22" MFCD/Helios display / Rift S

2x256 GB SSD - 2Tb Caviar Green

If only one of those kneeboard tabs could be Twitch chat, it would make my life so much more easier when flying and streaming.

Thank you. I just had a look at your latest stream and I'm happy that VRK is there!

The upcoming version will include keyboard/hotas commands to complement gestures and physical buttons. It may be useful to map the zoom out without sacrificing a physical button.

Also playing with vJoy and/or voice control you can do nice things.

I will look into Twitch APIs, let's see how much effort is needed to add the feature.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Hotas Warhog + Virpil T-50 base - Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals - Cougar MFCDs - Custom head tracker

Thank you. I just had a look at your latest stream and I'm happy that VRK is there!

The upcoming version will include keyboard/hotas commands to complement gestures and physical buttons. It may be useful to map the zoom out without sacrificing a physical button.

Also playing with vJoy and/or voice control you can do nice things.

I will look into Twitch APIs, let's see how much effort is needed to add the feature.

I had a failure on my part with my Intuos S, so it kept turning off roughly 30 seconds of no activity. So I didn’t get to use it fully during that stream, but it will be used for future streams.

I couldn’t figure why the time out was happening, no post online that pointed to a solution. Then I discovered that I somehow installed the MAC driver version instead of the windows :doh: (lol).

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Will the custom driver work with the Huion H420? If not currently, can you look into it? I just picked one up, and it works really well, except I can't seem to get the custom driver to work so I can use the buttons on the stylus and tablet.

Edit: Additionally, and it might be easier to support more devices, would be to allow users to set keyboard bindings for the different buttons as well, so you can bind the different buttons to keys, as I know at least the default Huion software allows the buttons to be mapped to keyboard presses. Then, it would be simply a matter of going in and setting up the tablet and VRK for the same bindings for stuff like gesture, forward, back, etc.

Edited by Echo179
adding info

Will the custom driver work with the Huion H420? If not currently, can you look into it? I just picked one up, and it works really well, except I can't seem to get the custom driver to work so I can use the buttons on the stylus and tablet.

Edit: Additionally, and it might be easier to support more devices, would be to allow users to set keyboard bindings for the different buttons as well, so you can bind the different buttons to keys, as I know at least the default Huion software allows the buttons to be mapped to keyboard presses. Then, it would be simply a matter of going in and setting up the tablet and VRK for the same bindings for stuff like gesture, forward, back, etc.

Here some troubleshooting steps:

Can you confirm that the custom driver is loaded?

It should appear in the device manager:

attachment.php?attachmentid=219847&stc=1&d=1571911151

If this is ok, have you enabled the custom driver in VRK options?

Can you send me the VRK log file?

(C:\Users\<username>\VRK\Logs)

Support for keyboard, USB devices (and more) will be released in a couple of minutes :smilewink:

POVs and additional commands (zoom and pan) are not there yet ... they will follow shortly

CustomDriver-DeviceManager.png.d066ec3310c6a141e19a19eb71a58cd1.png

Edited by AMVI_Rider

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Well, there are few reasons for the latency you are experiencing:

1. The standard InkCanvas doe not support injection of stylus points (probably because of security in signing applications) so I have to mimic the behavior ... this costs some performance

2. The VR refresh is fps limited to avoid using too much CPU, this can be improved and tuned (and I will)

3. The unavoidable latency of the two-passages (tablet -> VRK -> VR)

Moving to next big things: I'm actively using all my resources on the Oculus "native" implementation. It will take some time because Oculus does not provide any capability to create overlays from another application. This means I have to finds a way to inject some code in between DCS and Oculus DLL (wrapping or detouring), learn hot to create the overlay and all the utility functions needed to manage it the way OpenVR does. Easier said than done!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

1. The standard InkCanvas doe not support injection of stylus points (probably because of security in signing applications) so I have to mimic the behavior ... this costs some performance

2. The VR refresh is fps limited to avoid using too much CPU, this can be improved and tuned (and I will)

Moving to next big things: I'm actively using all my resources on the Oculus "native" implementation. It will take some time because Oculus does not provide any capability to create overlays from another application. This means I have to finds a way to inject some code in between DCS and Oculus DLL (wrapping or detouring), learn hot to create the overlay and all the utility functions needed to manage it the way OpenVR does. Easier said than done!

Yes ! If you could make it compatible with the native occulus drivers that would be awesome!

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Oculus actually does support overlays. You have to do it via the oculus home. But I do it all the time to have a website up (audible) I use it a lot when I fly in xplane 11.

Oculus actually does support overlays. You have to do it via the oculus home. But I do it all the time to have a website up (audible) I use it a lot when I fly in xplane 11.

Do you mean the capability to add a desktop window to the "dash"? Or did I missed something?

In this case this way there's no control (from VRK side) over position, size, opacity and the "focus" feature.

Oculus is really making this thing difficult. I'm finding plenty of demonstrations that they keep the framework close on purpose. I'm starting to regret spending my money on their HW!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

can i use this mod in cockpit with mouse in vr?

The mouse is bound to DCS, the kneeboard is added later in the visualization process by the VR so there's no way to use it without grabbing the focus from DCS.

Yeah, it is sad that occulus is not more open. I don't get the point. However for me there is a substantial performance difference between steamVR and occulus driver with similar settings :/

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Looked at the numbers and I noticed some performance loss too, probably had more margin to compensate. Other pilots are reporting the same.

In the last few days I tried several different approaches and today I finally made the injector work.

Now I need some more days to have something visible because, with Oculus, I need to be home to test: no virtual HMD is supported and my laptop is not VR ready.

No iPad support

Frankly it's out of the radar for me. I don't have experience in developing for Apple and the costs involved are not helping. Also, the usage of msater/slave is dropping because pen tables are more ergonomic.

Which one do you recomened more for the corrrect aspect ratio & size?

Huion H950P, H640P, or Wacom S, Wacom M?

I like the Huion H950P, but Which one do u remomend more?

I'm using the 950 and left the Intuos S for other purposes. I like the larger size.

The buttons of the Intuos are easier to find, but I improved the situation by putting some pieces of tape to mark recognizable spots. "Muscle memory" does the rest.

Never tried the Intuos M.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

The Intuos M is pretty perfect IMHO. Turn it 90 with some config work and you have a great DIN A5 sheet on your kneeboard. Works great over Bluetooth or wired connection.

...today I finally made the injector work.

This is.. is.. simply awesome :thumbup:. Congrats.

This would be perfect.

Thanks for your work.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Great piece of work, Rider! Thank you for your efforts!

Although I was not able to get it running in the sim so far. Maybe I missed something.

I am using VRK with the Intuos S and the Oculus Rift CV1. When only VRK and SteamVR are running, the overlay works fine and behaves as expected inside VR. As soon as I load the sim (still in the SteamVR "room" with the loading-icon) the overlay disappears and only comes back after restarting SteamVR and VRK after leaving the sim.

I start DCS with --force_VR and --force_steam_VR and it also shows in the Steam-mirroring window.

Didn't find this behaviour reported in this post yet. Can someone give me a hint in the right direction please?

Great piece of work, Rider! Thank you for your efforts!

Although I was not able to get it running in the sim so far. Maybe I missed something.

I am using VRK with the Intuos S and the Oculus Rift CV1. When only VRK and SteamVR are running, the overlay works fine and behaves as expected inside VR. As soon as I load the sim (still in the SteamVR "room" with the loading-icon) the overlay disappears and only comes back after restarting SteamVR and VRK after leaving the sim.

I start DCS with --force_VR and --force_steam_VR and it also shows in the Steam-mirroring window.

Didn't find this behaviour reported in this post yet. Can someone give me a hint in the right direction please?

It honestly sounds like DCS isn't truly opening in Steam VR. I'm not near my flight PC, but I think I only use the --force_steam_VR in my shortcut. If you have both try taking the first one out "--force_VR".

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It honestly sounds like DCS isn't truly opening in Steam VR. I'm not near my flight PC, but I think I only use the --force_steam_VR in my shortcut. If you have both try taking the first one out "--force_VR".

That came to my mind too. The Oculus s/w seems to be a prerequisite for SteamVR as it always starts automatically, is that correct? Is there a way to run SteamVR without the Oculus s/w in the background?

I have no idea how to better verify that it is running in SteamVR than checking whether its repeating in the VR-mirroring window like someone suggested earlier in this thread.

Tested taking out --force_VR and the result is the same.

Oculus will launch regardless, I believe it is a prerequisite for steamvr. Or at least that has been my experience with it. Never used it before, until I discovered this mod. When I would press the oculus button on my right controller, it would take me to a steamvr instead of the normal oculus home while I was in dcs. Do you get the same?

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]