DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

People are so funny, they can't just answer the question and just always assume they know better. This jet is used very successfully in the fighter role everyday by people flying on the Cold War server.

As you seem to know your answer, why are you even asking?

Even if some people are useing the Viggen as Fighter, it was not designed for that.

Turning to tight and you get compressor stalls. A2A Radar is only very basic and not that easy to use. No IFF. No Gun and no CM without pod.

So if you search an A2A fighter, you ARE wrong on the Viggen.

That does not say, that you can't use it for that at all.

Buy the F-5 or Mig21 if you want a cold war fighter.

Viggen is a strike aircraft. Fence in low and sneaky. Blast everything away in one pass. Fence out high and fast. Thats what it was designed for.

Again: use it for other things if you like, but it was not designed for them.

Now that this Aircraft has been out for some time can some give me a very straight forward and exact answer to this question?

While carrying the gun-pod and a flare pod, how many A2A missiles can this thing carry and of what variants?

You can find that out on your own. Even if you not own the module, you can still use it in the Mission Editor.

Station 1: RB24 (Aim-9J), RB24J (Aim-9P3)

Station 2: RB24 (Aim-9J), RB24J (Aim-9P3), RB74 (Aim-9L), Gun Pod, Dispenser Pod

Station 3: RB24 (Aim-9J), RB24J (Aim-9P3), RB74 (Aim-9L), Gun Pod, Dispenser Pod

Station 5: RB24 (Aim-9J), RB24J (Aim-9P3), RB74 (Aim-9L), Gun Pod, Dispenser Pod

Station 6: RB24 (Aim-9J), RB24J (Aim-9P3), RB74 (Aim-9L), Gun Pod, Dispenser Pod

Station 7: RB24 (Aim-9J), RB24J (Aim-9P3)

So you could have:

4 to 6 short range IR missiles and additional a gunpod and CM pod.

Not sure if you can mix RB24 and RB74, never tried that.

Edited by viper2097

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

As you seem to know your answer, why are you even asking?

Even if some people are useing the Viggen as Fighter, it was not designed for that.

Turning to tight and you get compressor stalls. A2A Radar is only very basic and not that easy to use. No IFF. No Gun and no CM without pod.

So if you search an A2A fighter, you ARE wrong on the Viggen.

That does not say, that you can't use it for that at all.

Buy the F-5 or Mig21 if you want a cold war fighter.

Viggen is a strike aircraft. Fence in low and sneaky. Blast everything away in one pass. Fence out high and fast. Thats what it was designed for.

Again: use it for other things if you like, but it was not designed for them.

You can find that out on your own. Even if you not own the module, you can still use it in the Mission Editor.

Station 1: RB24 (Aim-9J), RB24J (Aim-9P3)

Station 2: RB24 (Aim-9J), RB24J (Aim-9P3), RB74 (Aim-9L), Gun Pod, Dispenser Pod

Station 3: RB24 (Aim-9J), RB24J (Aim-9P3), RB74 (Aim-9L), Gun Pod, Dispenser Pod

Station 5: RB24 (Aim-9J), RB24J (Aim-9P3), RB74 (Aim-9L), Gun Pod, Dispenser Pod

Station 6: RB24 (Aim-9J), RB24J (Aim-9P3), RB74 (Aim-9L), Gun Pod, Dispenser Pod

Station 7: RB24 (Aim-9J), RB24J (Aim-9P3)

So you could have:

4 to 6 short range IR missiles and additional a gunpod and CM pod.

Not sure if you can mix RB24 and RB74, never tried that.

Haha, how is asking what the possible load outs are, is already knowing the answer? You didn't even try to answer the question. Like so may other people your answer is irrelevant to the question. You tried to change my question from "what are the A2A load outs" to "can you use the Viggen as a fighter" I already have the F5 (which was implied in my post, but you would actually need to read it before responding) and Mig-21! I'll be sure to let the guys that are in the top rankings on the Cold War server that are flying the Viggen that you know better.

Stop trying so hard to find a way to be right, it's just sad.

Edited by Alphazulu

It’s a pretty effective fighter in the Cold War servers. The RB74s are really good and maneuvering with afterburner and a little modesty makes wonders.

Plus you can always carry 2 bk90 or mavericks to blast the heck out of the enemy airfield and then dogfight what’s left. :pilotfly:

• 2 months later...

I didn't use this aircraft for a long time

Are there no more cannons, guys ?

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

I didn't use this aircraft for a long time

Are there no more cannons, guys ?

Gunpods

MY SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel pentium 3 @ 800 MHz, 256 Mb RAM, Geforce 2 64Mb, Dell screen 1024x768 + Microsoft sidewhiner joystick + TrackIR 2 + TrackClitPro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 98, Noice Attack & VIASAT PRO, SnackView

What do you mean, Skyracer?!

That the Viggen never had internal cannons/guns, only gunpods.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

That the Viggen never had internal cannons/guns, only gunpods.

The Attack Viggen that is. The Fighter Viggen does have a internal gun, but in DCS we have the Attack Viggen, which has to rely on gunpods if guns are needed.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

About 2 years ago, there were cannons on Viggen

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

About 2 years ago, there were cannons on Viggen

Yes, there are still cannons on our Viggen: gunpods. As for internal cannons, I'm flying the DCS Viggen since day one of its Early Access and there have never been internal cannons, which would have been pretty weird otherwise.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Okay guys, but could you please tell me how to use them ?

What exactly do I have to select in the weapon menu ?

AKAN (AutomatKANon = automatic cannon) 30/55 on stations 2 and 6.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

The AKAN gunpods.

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...