The A-10C more fun than the F/A-18?

Fred00

Maybe it's just me, but I keep coming back to the A-10C. On paper the F-18 should take it:

- It's a nicer looking aircraft (subjective, I know)

- The cockpit looks alot nicer (at least for now)

- It's MUCH faster

- It's more maneuverable

- It's good at both AG and AA

- It does carrier ops

Still, the A-10C obviously has something that the F-18 is missing. It's hard to define, but mostly (for me) I think it's about the cockpit. I just think that the A-10C cockpit is more fun to operate. It's got more switches, the MFDs have a better, more modern interface and the HOTAS workflow is better thought out. Plus, I think the A-10C feels better in the air than the F-18. Sure, the F-18 can pull nicer stunts, but the A-10C has a nicer, more weighty feel to it.

How do you guys feel?

Edited by Fred00

I love both. Been flying the F18 almost exclusively since it came out and find it so flexible and capable. Really looking forward to the ATFLIR, FLIR rendering, HARM and Grnd radar updates and it will just keep on getting better and better.

That said there is something about the Hog which is so endearing. I think its probably a combination of THE GUN, the amount of ordinance you can carry, the well integrated TPOD and its resilience. Its also a pretty big aircraft and is beautifully modeled (flight dynamics) in DCS so feels as if its very realistic. It's made to do one job and it does it incredibly well. Just a shame its so damn slow!

Love the extra power for ground attack (wow - Worlds apart) and quick to get on station at the AO, don't like the extra fuel stops needed.:(

The Gun.....and available decent size load out and loiter time of course...:)

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

i don’t touch the A10 seriously from more then an year ago when i finished enemy within campaign....

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

i'm always surprised, how little combat flight simmer give about the actual flying characteristics. i skipped the f-18 solely because of the fly-by-wire controls and wait for the f-14 instead.

so naturally one big aspect why i like and still fly the a-10c is the flight behaviour besides other things...

Absolutly!! The more modules i own the more i love the hog. I have it since beta times so i think 10(!) years or something.

I have to admit im a pure ground pounder. Im not into that PVP A2A so the hog is my first choice and probably will ever be. The wide range of weapons is incredible.

Well flying from A to B and fooling around is much more fun in a hornet but when you need to blow stuff ist simply one choice.

The Hotas workflow is much better than in the hornet and av8.

In some seconds you have your mavs on tgt and down in the mud.

It seems the whole DCS world is designed around it also. The quali campaigns the CA etc. Everything fits perfect with the hog.

im really waiting for the final step that makes it complete: the Pilot Body :-D

:matrix: =SPEED IS LIFE=:matrix:

http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/speed-is-life.html

One is a multirole carrier plane and the other is a dedicated CAS platform.

It depends on what do you find "fun"

For me the Harrier is more fun than the A10C just because it is faster and you can do carrier and beach landing ops from a Tarawa, you can fly from Farps and you are more flexible.

The A10C is still a powerhouse with systems capability bar to none currently (except maybe the Ka50) You can set markpoints, fiddle with the nav system, share with the DL and link every systems on the plane smoothly with two hotas switch clicks.

The Harrier and the F18 when finished will be able to do the same (F18 with the upper hand thanks to the A/A capabilities) but they happen to be still as WIP.

Patience, and enjoy what each airframe has to offer.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I wish ED could release a later suite. I will buy even as a new module.

13700k @5.6GHz | 32GB DDR4 4000MHz CL14 | ASUS Z690 TUF  | GIGABYTE RTX4090 Gaming OC | Samsung 970PRO 512G + 980PRO 2T

GIGABYTE M32U | HP Reverb G2

Warthog HOTAS | TPR | JetSeat | TrackIR5

Windows 11

Maybe it's just me, but I keep coming back to the A-10C. On paper the F-18 should take it:

- It's MUCH faster

- It's more maneuverable

- It does carrier ops

Still, the A-10C obviously has something that the F-18 is missing. It's hard to define, but mostly (for me) I think it's about the cockpit. I just think that the A-10C cockpit is more fun to operate. It's got more switches, the MFDs have a better, more modern interface and the HOTAS workflow is better thought out. Plus, I think the A-10C feels better in the air than the F-18. Sure, the F-18 can pull nicer stunts, but the A-10C has a nicer, more weighty feel to it.

How do you guys feel?

IM going to avoid direct comparison of roles because these are two different aircraft, But i will comment on cockpit and functionality and ergonomics.

i disagree here with these points made with regards to HOTAS and cockpit

I actually like the hotas system on the F18 better. ITs simpler to use, and not over complicated. For someone who doesn't have a Thrustmaster warthog HOTAS I found the warthog had too many assignable keys to be easy to use entirely with Hotas i am using ( (saitek X56 user)

with the Hornet i can map all the HOTAS functions i need with the X56. and unlike the HOG can use it pretty much pure HOTAS reducing my keyboard bindings usage essentially completely.

and i actually find interfacing with the Hornet to be more user friendly. The Upfront control is more intuitive, and i find buttons and switches are more logically laid out. Plus startup procedure is simpler. The Hornet has a Proper Autopilot system, and not a basic altitude/heading hold

IF anything the Hornet has overall much more modern cockpit and has a much more digitally integrated avionics suite than the HOG does.

youve got 3 not 2 multipurpose displays to work with. the Hog being a 1970s simple vintage aircraft modernized in the 2000s, whilst the Hornet from its first service batches were built around Glass cockpit with 3 displays,. In the Hog the Glass pit has mostly to do with weapons/ sensors management. RWR and CM programing is entirely seperate. the CDU in MFD is just a repeater. that again is a separate module.

Radios, Seperate pieces of equipment. and requires heads down time to change frequencies among various radio sets. IN the Hornet, its all done via UFC, and therefore requires less heads down time. you already have a bunch of preset staions, and manually chaging them is easier to input via keypad than turning dials for each individual digit.

Its still got lots of analog gauges. IN the hornet everything is managed via MFD's or some form of digital display. again Many features even RWR screen, and countermeasures programming is done via DDI's. Sure the Hog has lots of fuel, and the Hornet needs to manage it more carefully, but I still like the fact the Hornet has something like the FPAS page.

OFFboresight helmet Display is also something the Hog does have in its iteration ( IRL A10C suite 7+ have offboresight HMD). overall more information can be displayed via HUD ( either fixed or off boresight)

The only thing worse about the interface is the symbology blends in with the moving map. IN the hog this doesn't happen i since symobology and alphanumeric are displayed against a black backdrop making it more visible in the HOG's MFD's.. That along with an IR Missile warning system are the only 2 features i wish the Hornet had from the HOG.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

I love the A10c, it's the only aircraft i have any hours on really. But im at the end of the content, and im looking for another challenge,i dont fly online. I do have the hornet, and prob will go to that in the coming weeks. One thing i wont miss from the a10c is that dam beeping when you pull slightly too much G, god thats annoying :D But i will miss how easy the hotas is to operate and of course it's matched perfectly to the TM hotas, which was the reason i bought it in the first place. It will be hard to let go..

i5-7600K @ 4.8 | 32GB | 1080 | Rift S | TM MFD & WH HOTAS-10mm ext + TFRP

I'M BACK!

WOW! What a nice perfect time for my reply.

A few days back I just decided to go back to my beautiful HOG after 6 months or more of fooling around in the Hornet. the Hornet was and is awesome, no doubt about it but something kept tuggin at my heart strings and that little voice kept saying.. "man oh man.. I'm not having much fun anymore". I don't know, maybe it's just me but whatever happened, I'm just so glad to be back in my faithful ole sluggish BEAUTIFUL awesome HOG!

And all those Campaigns in the very nice looking Caucuses now.. I'm so revisiting...big time!thumbup.gifpilotfly.gif

Edited by GazAce

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

I think i know the answer of why:

It's simply more feature complete

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

- It's MUCH faster

- It's more maneuverable

- It does carrier ops

How do you guys feel?

I have always come back to the A10. It's the only AC I fly missions in outside of the P-51. I own 2/3rds of the modules here but those two planes are the ones I fly.

I think i know the answer of why:

It's simply more feature complete

I agree. It's a bit early to judge on which one is more fun than the other. The F-18 still has a lot to get in terms of updates.

The cool thing about the A-10C though is that it can carry more A\G ordnance. Appart from that my vote goes to the F-18. I haven't touched the Hawg much since the Hornet is out.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For me Hornet will never replace Hog even when fully released. Being able to fly slow is a big advantage for a close support aircraft. I feel I control the target area better, I'm the boss. In a Hornet I'm more like a thief - run in quick, grab a few souls, run back home. Also, I think Hog is a bit complex for many to learn/operate, but Hornet is a sweat spot - almost the FC3 level of complexity, a great deal of capabilities, and sexy too :), although feels a bit outdated comparing to Hog.

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

I have both and fly both. I figured it this way. If I want to play with fiddly bits, then I play the A-10. If I want to play with not as many fiddly bits, then I fly the F-18.

Sometimes I just don't feel like turning 10000000 dials and buttons, all I want to do is fly. That's when I jump into the 18, cheat start and just fly. Also, when I want to try and crash (land) on carriers getting ready for my F-14.

sometimes it's all about the fiddly bits and sometimes it isn't.

Apples and oranges, regarding A/G operations the A-10C is a pure CAS/Tank buster platform with lots of station time, as for the F/A-18C it's a deep/precision strike and anti ship platform, fast in, fast out. Cannot compare the two at all, it would be like comparing the Spitfire and Mustang, two different planes for different roles

Simflyin' since 1985 :smartass:

The hog was my first module, I have spent hundreds of hours with it and I still love to use all these different weapon systems. Without the TGP though it would be much less fun. And it can only survive if allied fighters keep the bandits away as it's slow and poorly equipped for A/A defense. A bit like the Ju-87 Stuka which were very successful as long as the Luftwaffe dominated the skies.

The F/A-18 will gradually get a complete set of weapon systems for A/G strikes and I'm sure it will get far more attractive than it is today.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

For me as a former A-10 crew chief from 1986-2006. The A-10 is home. I could bore most of you with stories, but that wouldn't be right. My 'girls' were part of Operation Allied Force and when the 354th deployed to Bagram AB after 911.

If it wasn't for a YouTube video about DCS I would never have known who Eagle Dynamics were. THANKS

Again, the A-10 is home.

81-980 Christina or as she's known today 'Brown Eyed Girl'

79-196 Caroline

82-665 Chrissy

Yeah, in the Air Force I was nicknamed 'The Buzzard'

I'm still have

81-980 Nicknamed Christina

thank you buzzard for your service, and keeping those birds in the air!

at some point, you do need to share your stories!!! this is what we in the flight sim community love to hear. the real "stuff"!

respectfully,

-Jav :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control