ground loop

Andy1966

I never knew what a ground loop really was until I got the Spit Mk-9.:megalol::megalol::megalol:. Exellant work ED, the TFC and all involved. :joystick::joystick::joystick:

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

When a wing tip hits the ground (often) why doesn't it drag my aircraft back around the opposite way to my ground loop ? I' m not suggesting it's any more desirable, I'm just curious.

Hi,

Are you asking why it doesn't yaw the aircraft left if you scrape the left wing on the ground? (Or visa-versa).

CPU: Intel i9 13900KS @5.8GHz | MB: ROG Strix Z790 Gaming-E | GPU: Asus ROG Strix RTX3090 OC | RAM: 32Gb Corsair Dominator DDR5 @6200MHz | Cooling: Custom CPU/GPU cooling loop | PSU: Supernova 850G2 @ 850W | OS: Windows 10 Home Premium 64Bit
Storage: 3x Samsung EVO 970 Plus M.2 1Tb + 3x Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250Gb | Input: TM HOTAS WH Saitek Combat Pedals | Output: Samsung 50" OLED TV | VR: HP Reverb G2 | Audio: Realtek + Z906 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System

Hi,

Are you asking why it doesn't yaw the aircraft left if you scrape the left wing on the ground? (Or visa-versa).

Yes, why doesn't the grounded wing tip pull the aircraft back around in that direction. I appreciate grounding a wing tip isn't good practice but I would have thought it would, if not neccesarily making things a whole lot better, at the very least go some way to counteracting the opposite loop, especially at slower speeds.

Ok, I see what you mean!

I guess in theory you might expect it to do so, but in order to do that, the contact between the wing tip and the ground would have to involve a lot of friction. By this I mean A LOT!

Picture this, if you start ground looping to the right, the natural tendency of the aircraft is to roll left. This is because as the aircraft starts to turn right, the main wheels will slip and skid. As a result, the centre of gravity will no longer be aligned with the longitudinal axis and direction of movement. As the mass of the aircraft acts on the C of G, this forms an effective moment arm which means the further around the C of G can get out of alignment, the more powerful its influence will be. This is why you only have a very narrow window of displacement in either direction to stop a swing before it accelerates out of control.

Effectively, more and more of the aircraft's mass is now trying to turn it right. The effect of the left wing tip on the ground will counter this motion to some extent, but it won't over come it, unless the wing tip encounters a solid immovable object, like someone's car for instance (I've seen that happen twice!). Under these circumstances, the aircraft will certainly stop yawing right momentarily, but the wing will probably be torn off long before the motion completely stops.

CPU: Intel i9 13900KS @5.8GHz | MB: ROG Strix Z790 Gaming-E | GPU: Asus ROG Strix RTX3090 OC | RAM: 32Gb Corsair Dominator DDR5 @6200MHz | Cooling: Custom CPU/GPU cooling loop | PSU: Supernova 850G2 @ 850W | OS: Windows 10 Home Premium 64Bit
Storage: 3x Samsung EVO 970 Plus M.2 1Tb + 3x Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250Gb | Input: TM HOTAS WH Saitek Combat Pedals | Output: Samsung 50" OLED TV | VR: HP Reverb G2 | Audio: Realtek + Z906 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System