Rift expectaions

Cskelly

I just purchased a Rift. I was wondering what type of FPS I should expect with my system.

i7-7700k @ 4.2

GTX 1080

16gb 2400 RAM

In game settings

Text: High

Terrain text: High

Civ traffic: off

Water: medium

vis range: med

Heat blur: Low

Shadows: Med

Cockpit res: 256

MSAA: 2X

depth of field: off

Lenses effect: off

SSA: 1.5

Grass/trees/clutter/smoke: all low

cockpit global illum: off

Anisotropic: 16x

vsync; off

VR pix density: 1.2

I am averaging 45fps with ASW set to auto and disabled. I am okay with 45 in SP but wasn't sure if that would be good enough for MP. I don't play MP at the moment but would eventually like to start. Just FYI I am not a computer guru! I just like flight sims. Computer is about a year old, don't plan on buying another one, may eventually upgrade to a 1080ti but will need to save some $$$$. Also may purchase more RAM. Thanks.

All I do is hit the VR preset in the options

Then change

All Textures to high

vis range: high

Trees to 70-80% don't like the close popping in and out of trees.

VR pix density: 1.6

45 FPS is the norm, unless real high and out of built up areas.

Not so good for MP, they don't have labels generally so you cannot spot the enemy well or soon enough. I use Trackir for MP

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Don't be put off trying VR in multiplayer. I use it all the time and I find it incredible, I've had no issues in BVR or BFM encounters. With CAS, I did find it useful to export my DDI's/MFCD's to another monitor for a greater resolution providing greater clarity; however, I much prefer the immersion of VR and accept the hit that I may have to lean in a few times, albeit not too often.

I currently have a similar set-up to you but I did go a little crazy yesterday and order a lot of new parts =D After all my PC is nearly 7 years old (minus the GPU/SSD).

i5-3570K @ 4.2, GTX 1080, 16GB DDR3 1600, SSD.

I might give MP another go in VR after watching this video, perhaps the ww2 aircraft.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I think the Oculus defaults to 45 if it can't drive at 90. Personally I've found that the gpu render time is more helpful in terms of figuring out how much you have to work with. Once that goes over 22ms I start getting queasy, Oculus does a good job of smoothing things out, up to a point.

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder