DCS Update Patch Notes Discussion Thread

NineLine

• ED Team
BIGNEWY is on vacation... and "BillyCrusher" posted the changelog, I've never seen him before. I messaged Billy, ED is now investigating the crash. (yes, now it's obviously too late)

RAZBAM had already been looking into it, it is their module, they would most likely be responsible for it being fixed, 3rd Parties are generally responsible for their own stuff, and need to get fixes in for releases. The Mav crash is avoidable, dont use the mav for now on the Harrier. It's not reasonable to hold up other fixes for other modules.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no point in having an open beta build if it's to push crashes in the release branch, along with pretty much all of the other bugs.

Im guessing that ED didn't consider this bug to be a huge showstopper, otherwise they would not have pushed this version to release.

In principle though, I agree with you. "Stable" should only be updated when it is perfectly stable and with a minimum ammount of bugs. If a big bug is introduced in a beta patch, then that version should not be released to stable before the bug is ironed out.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

But, may I ask...

Why merge versions if you KNOW that that particular update has bugs in it? And don't tell me this is a third party issue, because the signal tone bug on the AIM-9X was there last week on Open Beta and it is now on Stable too, and the multiplayer Lag/Connection issues have been dragging for weeks, now also making a show in Stable. This is all ED, not third party.

Why not solve the bugs first on OB and then release the fixed updates on Stable? It's not a stable version if it has unsolved OB bugs. It's just another Open Beta with delayed updates, isn't it?

"The natural function of the wing is to soar upwards and carry that which is heavy up to the place where dwells the race of gods.

More than any other thing that pertains to the body it partakes of the nature of the divine." — Plato, Phaedrus.

I agree on most of the things said here, but the summer period is about to end and so are the holidays, lets give them some time to sort things while keeping the things said here in the back of their heads, before we raise the torches and pitchforks.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

But, may I ask...

Why merge versions if you KNOW that that particular update has bugs in it? And don't tell me this is a third party issue, because the signal tone bug on the AIM-9X was there last week on Open Beta and it is now on Stable too, and the multiplayer Lag/Connection issues have been dragging for weeks, now also making a show in Stable. This is all ED, not third party.

Why not solve the bugs first on OB and then release the fixed updates on Stable? It's not a stable version if it has unsolved OB bugs. It's just another Open Beta with delayed updates, isn't it?

Totally agree but you like I have just need to come to a realization dcs will always be in an unfinished state. It's not a talent issue but a swinging from branch to branch issue without completing current tasks. Been here since the beginning it's just the state of it and will never change.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

"Why not solve the bugs first on OB and then release the fixed updates on Stable? It's not a stable version if it has unsolved OB bugs."

This has been discussed forever! ED made a claim that 2.5 was OB and everyone is supposed to be quiet and enjoy the bugs.

Release version is just an older OB version. That's it.

No one from ED has ever said that. Please dont make false or unconstructive statements.

Fair enough. My choice of words might have been too harsh. But there are no less than a few dozen posts since 2.5 was released stating exactly that position..

It is a confirmed "beta public test build". Here's hoping for fixes.

RAZBAM had already been looking into it, it is their module, they would most likely be responsible for it being fixed, 3rd Parties are generally responsible for their own stuff, and need to get fixes in for releases. The Mav crash is avoidable, dont use the mav for now on the Harrier. It's not reasonable to hold up other fixes for other modules.

They said it was an issue on ED's end... guess that changed?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3597913&postcount=12

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

• ED Team
They said it was an issue on ED's end... guess that changed?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3597913&postcount=12

It's fixed internally now, just fired a Maverick on the next release candidate for Open Beta.

No matter where the issue was, its a RAZBAM module, if the need to work with ED to get something changed in the core, then that is what is needed, I don't know what changed to fix it, but it appears fixed now and should be working next patch.

64Sig.png

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

So what if the updates we get have bugs. That's the nature of software development and bugs will always arise if ED is continuing to bring us new features and improvement, which I am grateful for. The bugs are not show stoppers so relax and understand that these things take time resolve.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

It's fixed internally now, just fired a Maverick on the next release candidate for Open Beta.

No matter where the issue was, its a RAZBAM module, if the need to work with ED to get something changed in the core, then that is what is needed, I don't know what changed to fix it, but it appears fixed now and should be working next patch.

Great news, thanks for the update.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

So what if the updates we get have bugs. That's the nature of software development and bugs will always arise if ED is continuing to bring us new features and improvement, which I am grateful for. The bugs are not show stoppers so relax and understand that these things take time resolve.

Except it's already resolved and was way before the update. If you fly in the Harrier not being able to use this standoff weapon is pretty annoying and while you can go around it, it is a show stopper because it's a crash while trying to use the aircraft in a very common scenario.

The bug was fixed by ED, but they found another bug that also causes a crash. In any case, the fix and missiles will be available on next update.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No, people are complaining that known bugs are being transferred to stable without fixing. Thus making stable, not stable.

If you are referring to a bug in the Harrier remember again the Harrier is in early access. You may argue that it's in a stable release, but this issue is localized to the Harrier only if I am correct.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Bugs on early access modules are irrelevant. AGM not working, then stop using, it's early access, stuff might be broken!

BTW, fixing that bug following the proper development pipeline would mean pushing the fix first to OB to make sure it's working properly before updating Release branch to the same patch, delaying all the other fixes on Release by a week. For a non blocking bug on an early access module, that would just be silly.

"You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to your level of preparation."

Stable should be called "Delayed Beta" as most of the time it has the exact same issues as the previous weeks Beta release.

Anyone using Stable may as well download OB and have their game broken a week earlier so they don't waste time and can do something else.

This 100% :thumbup:

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Bugs on early access modules are irrelevant. AGM not working, then stop using, it's early access, stuff might be broken!

BTW, fixing that bug following the proper development pipeline would mean pushing the fix first to OB to make sure it's working properly before updating Release branch to the same patch, delaying all the other fixes on Release by a week. For a non blocking bug on an early access module, that would just be silly.

What is silly is to push CRASHES to a STABLE release. And it has nothing to do with early access, any released aircraft could have gotten this problem and it would have made no sense to push an already fixed crash in a stable version of DCS.

The stable branch is made to be stable not to have crashes and bugs all over the place, which is apparently what ED wants to do with it. The open beta is 80% of the time more stable then the stable branch and people who play the Harrier will upgrade to an open beta version to get a more stable experience next week.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
What is silly is to push CRASHES to a STABLE release. And it has nothing to do with early access, any released aircraft could have gotten this problem and it would have made no sense to push an already fixed crash in a stable version of DCS.

The stable branch is made to be stable not to have crashes and bugs all over the place, which is apparently what ED wants to do with it. The open beta is 80% of the time more stable then the stable branch and people who play the Harrier will upgrade to an open beta version to get a more stable experience next week.

But all those waiting for the other fixes to come in would argue that it's silly to wait for their fixes on a crash that only affects 1 weapon on 1 module, that is completely avoidable. So you can look at it either way.

Regardless, it appears to be fixed internally and should be pushed to Open Beta next patch I hope. Please keep the discussion on the patch notes, and not what you like or dislike about ED's patch schedule please.

64Sig.png

We're not so much discussing the schedule of the patches but what ED considers to be stable for a release version, it's off topic anyways.

The conclusion would be to remove all Early Access/Beta modules from the stable branch. Problem solved. :pilotfly:

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

The conclusion would be to remove all Early Access/Beta modules from the stable branch. Problem solved. :pilotfly:

Or, for some people to stop moaning about EA modules, and just stop using them until they change to release versions.

I mean, all this fuss over 1 weapon in 1 EA module? It’s crazy.

Of course there will be issues, but I can’t remember the last time I experienced a bug that was so severe that I couldn’t use DCS in OB form.

DCS is a project that will be in a constant state of development because of its nature, i.e.new modules, new features.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

[…]Of course there will be issues, but I can’t remember the last time I experienced a bug that was so severe that I couldn’t use DCS in OB form.

Perhaps are you flying several modules at the same time and when a module has a problem you can fly on another one ? In my squadron, we only fly one module, when there is a problem with it, it can be frustrating to not be able to fly a COMAO missions because a part of the wing is left out by a software development problem.

I would not mind to wait several weeks for the stable version to be updated as long as it keeps its stability. I know it can be difficult to wait for the latest new toy or improvement and this is why betas exist. It should be fairly easy to understand for users that a stable branch will receive way less frequent updates to the benefit of stability while an Open Beta will push for regular updates at the cost of … stability.

At least we have now better communication from ED, waiting a week for a fix is not that long. I really hope to see some change in the management of the stable and beta branches.

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

Perhaps are you flying several modules at the same time and when a module has a problem you can fly on another one ? In my squadron, we only fly one module, when there is a problem with it, it can be frustrating to not be able to fly a COMAO missions because a part of the wing is left out by a software development problem.

I would not mind to wait several weeks for the stable version to be updated as long as it keeps its stability. I know it can be difficult to wait for the latest new toy or improvement and this is why betas exist. It should be fairly easy to understand for users that a stable branch will receive way less frequent updates to the benefit of stability while an Open Beta will push for regular updates at the cost of … stability.

If you are using a released module, then I sympathise with your situation, but otherwise, my comments still stand.

I cannot see how DCS will ever be in a ‘stable’ state. There is constant development and hence constant bugs of some kind, but users can minimise their risk by only using released modules.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box