Two questions about Mig-29

Dunno if they are bugs or supposed to be:

1. The HDD of MiG-29 doesn't show the planned course when in navigation mode, just keep the same pattern of HUD. But the Su-27's HDD works well.

F17498C41D6894C07A589C743AC087F0B49C3EDB

2. The Tachometer has reached 100% whilst the throttle be pushed to around 80%, after that, you have to press two times of "Page UP" on the keybord to obtain the maxium power. So I suspect the Tachometer doesn't sync with the throttle. By the way, the idle speed shows is also much higher than Su-27.

732991CC3170D66830E34232DC1D150B3F4AD569

Hi Lao,

The HDD in the MiG-29 is simply a HUD repeater, so no bug there...the fancy moving map is only for the Flanker.

Not sure about your throttle issues,I'll have to do some testing. Bringing up the control indicator might give you a good idea as to whether something screwy is going on with your device inputs. I believe R-ctrl Enter is the default key binding to bring this up. It will look like a small red box and will show exactly what your joystick is doing.

Dunno if they are bugs or supposed to be:

1. The HDD of MiG-29 doesn't show the planned course when in navigation mode, just keep the same pattern of HUD. But the Su-27's HDD works well.

As Feefifofum said, the HDD in the MiG-29 is only a HuD repeater, you don't get the same HDD as on the SU-27.

2. The Tachometer has reached 100% whilst the throttle be pushed to around 80%, after that, you have to press two times of "Page UP" on the keybord to obtain the maxium power. So I suspect the Tachometer doesn't sync with the throttle. By the way, the idle speed shows is also much higher than Su-27.

The tachometer will not show when your afterburners are engaged, it will only display from 0-100% RPM. The extra 20% movement on your HOTAS throttle probably represents going from 100% RPM to afterburner. Not sure if the engines on the MiG are the same, but the AL-31F engines on the Su-27 don't have a staged afterburner. Instead they have a metered fuel flow afterburner which is (IIRC) fully variable so that last 20% of your throttle movement would represent going from minimum afterburner to maximum burner.

• Like 1

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

read all the threads about people not being able to see the hud in bright sunshine and you realise why the mig 29 repeats its hud to the HDD..

they are the only planes in 2.1 with a 100% readable hud..

the mig29 and the su27..

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

The reason they're different, OP, is because they're not the same plane. I don't know why that surprises you.

As others noted the the display is not a MFD, just repeats HUD. The idle RPM is higher, they are not the same engines, not the same aircraft. Your physical throttle allows extra room for the afterburner, which is two stage on the MiG-29. -edit you push keys to engage them, though? Interesting... I recommend you purchase a full HOTAS... No, full cockpit... Eh, better go full motion sim. Just to be sure. That'll fix it.

Edited by zhukov032186
  • Like 1

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Hi Lao,

The HDD in the MiG-29 is simply a HUD repeater, so no bug there...the fancy moving map is only for the Flanker.

Not sure about your throttle issues,I'll have to do some testing. Bringing up the control indicator might give you a good idea as to whether something screwy is going on with your device inputs. I believe R-ctrl Enter is the default key binding to bring this up. It will look like a small red box and will show exactly what your joystick is doing.

---------So the HDD display is normal, though kind of useless to repeat the HUD display.

And I have to maitain 80%+ RPM in landing procedure, feel weird as if Mig-29 is heavier than Flanker.

The MiG-29 also hasn't received the same level of attention to the flight model as the Flanker, which definitely plays into how the plane feels. We've seen a steady progression of upgrades to the FC3 modules though and the MiG-29 will soon be the only remaining SFM (simplified flight model) aircraft, which means it's next in line for a new FM. :)

The Tachometer has reached 100% whilst the throttle be pushed to around 80%, after that, you have to press two times of "Page UP" on the keybord to obtain the maxium power.

That´s because you have run into "maximal" stop(military power) which is around 100% RPM. In the real plane you need to actuate two levers to continue moving the throttle, the first is minimum afterburner and the second is full afterburner. (Forzash in russian)

So I suspect the Tachometer doesn't sync with the throttle. By the way, the idle speed shows is also much higher than Su-27.

It syncs as suppossed to, also different engines have different idle speeds.

In response to another post, the RPM gauge needle move a little more when both AB regimes are activated, because the engine actually overspeeds a little.

The neverending story of Migs HDD...

In many threads it was proved that MiG-29S had the navigation system and datalink like the Su-27(in matter of fact exactly the same, the equipment is exactly same aswell).

I agree with the A and G versions having only HUD repeater due to mainly being export versions but the S version should have the exact same navigation and datalink system as Flanker.

Sorry, dont have time to go through 5 years of topic. Just search mig-29 on forums and enjoy reading through topics with 240pages of comments and sooner or later youll find it.

Good place to start:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=183178

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=169142

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=177380

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=171212

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=15822

According to this article, the writer explains that the MiG-29 (Im assuming the A variant since the GDR only had those models) had its Laszlo data link and the SRO IFF removed before handing them over to the Luftwaffe.

http://www.16va.be/mig-29_experience.htm

Like almost all the vids people show to proof mig had no nav and datalink is from german migs version A which were bought from russia stripped then tuned to german needs and thereafter sold to poland as version G.

Edited by Marduk879

Its not Laszlo, is Lazur.

And this is not a A-A Datalink like the Su-27, is a Ground Control link between the Mig-29 and a Ground GCI. This Lazur System provides the Mig-29 pilot with cues in the ADI and the HUD to follow in the interception flight plan of a target.

Also it has an automatic mode where the GCI guides the Mig-29 using the autopilot mode without any pilot input. And also it´s possible to use the onboard radar by the GCI to search por targets without pilot interaction.

So no, sorry, the Mig-29 doesnt have any datalink like the Su-27 to share radar information between a formation.

And again sorry but no, the Mig-29A/S doesnt have ANY Tactical Display mode on the HDD, neither Flight Plan mode. Only the HUD repeater mode.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Apparently MiG-29 export models starting in 1988 had the datalink removed.

Produced between 1988 and 1991 for Bulgaria, Czechoslovakia, East Germany, Poland and Romania. Most modified to virtual 9.12B configuration (with removal of datalink and IFF) on break-up of USSR and Warsaw Pact.

http://toad-design.com/migalley/index.php/jet-aircraft/mig29/mig29-variants/

I should stress that I’m talking about our Luftwaffe MiG-29s, which are early aircraft. They also removed the Laszlo data link and the SRO IFF before the aircraft were handed over to us, so in some respects we’re less capable than other contemporary MiG-29s

https://www.16va.be/mig-29_experience.htm

Edit

Sniped, i've seen images of the MiG21 lazur system which is just a series of cue lights, a similar system/idea is used through cues to the MiGs HUD.

Edited by Frostie

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

In the Mig-29 the system is a little bit more complete and sophisticated than some cue lights.

Lazur System Interception mode, HUD left Side/ MFD Right side. Guide Ring in the center, Target Speed and Height, IFF caret,

ShchK5T.jpg

Manual Search Mode, not assisted by Lazur. HUD left side/MFD Right Side.

xrFSPWA.jpg

As you can see, the MFD is a REPEATER of the HUD, no tactical display, no flight plan display.

Edited by Esac_mirmidon

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Sorry, dont have time to go through 5 years of topic. Just search mig-29 on forums and enjoy reading through topics with 240pages of comments and sooner or later youll find it.

So, you claim something was proven, but then ask others to do your work for you? :)

IIRC, nothing was proven, there were just some wild claims raised that the 9.13S has a tactical display based on nothing, but thin air apparently as there were no photos, nor manual scans posted.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

The reason they're different, OP, is because they're not the same plane. I don't know why that surprises you.

As others noted the the display is not a MFD, just repeats HUD. The idle RPM is higher, they are not the same engines, not the same aircraft. Your physical throttle allows extra room for the afterburner, which is two stage on the MiG-29. -edit you push keys to engage them, though? Interesting... I recommend you purchase a full HOTAS... No, full cockpit... Eh, better go full motion sim. Just to be sure. That'll fix it.

Just move to Russia, learn Russian, get the appropriate fake ID that shows you were born in Russia, join the Russian air force, and fly the real MiG-29. It's cheaper to do and probably easier too :)

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Russian Air Force accept foreigners.

You only need to swear eternal faithfulness to Mr. President.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]