Comfirmation that I need to a new graphic cards.

HI guy,

Just had a look at the specificiation for the DLC for the F/A - 18c Hornet.

Just need to find out whether my Nvidia Geforce GTX 760 graphics card will allow me to fly the Hornett. At this stage funding resources prevent me from upgrading my graphics card and I would love to fly the Hornet, in DCS World.

Trevor

DCS World Online, SU25, SU25T, A-10 A, Black Shark 2, F15C, SU27, Combined Arms, A10C. Flight Controls: Saitek X-55 Rhino HOTAS System and Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals. CPU AMD Ryzen 3 2200 3.5GB, 1TB Int HDD, 2TB Int HDD, 2TB Seagate Ext HDD, 8 Gb DDR4 1600 Ram, Geforce GTX 760 2GB GPU

Minimum system requirements (LOW graphics settings): OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Intel Core i3 at 2.8 GHz or AMD FX; RAM: 8 GB (16 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 60 GB; Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 / AMD R9 280X or better; requires internet activation.

Hi Trevor,

You would be able to run the F-18 possibly, it will not be very enjoyable sorry. The frame rate will be very low and can be frustrating. I normally recommend the GTX 1060 with (6GB) for DCS and gaming in general @ 1080P.

1070 or more @ 1440P

1080 / 1080it @ 4K and VR

It's also always good to have DCS on an SSD.

There is always a balance between eye candy and performance. Even on good top end PC's and 4K or VR.

This hobby can be a little expensive right:), once setup to a good level, it's only a matter of upgrading here and there. I slowly buildup my system over a few years and still on the Kaby Lake chip and possibly upgrade that next year, waiting to see how DCS performs a bit more down the road.

How does your system run now with DCS 2.5 Trevor?

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Up until recently I was running DCS and Hornet on an iMac via Bootcamp. The Mac had a NVidia 6800 notebook GPU, this is about as bad as it can get specwise, but even so I quite happily played on low settings.

Now I have a new rig with i7/1080Ti it's a different story with the eye candy...:D

A very simple test you can do:

1. Make sure that you have latest DCS 2.5 version installed.

2. Fly a couple of scenarios with A-10C.

If it is running smooth, you are all set for the Hornet. Performance impact might be a bit higher with the Hornet, but if you get good frames in the A-10C you should be okay. Very important is that you test it in DCS 2.5 since a lot has happened to the graphics engine and performance in general.

I'm on 2 GTX 680s still. No complaints here, w/ 1080p and medium-high settings all around. More than flyable.

I do plan to upgrade before the end of the year, though. I'm past due, I used to upgrade every 3 years or so, but that was when this stuff was a lot cheaper :lol:

i7 9700k @ 4.9 GHz | Asus Z390-A | EVGA 1080Ti SC2 | Oculus Rift + Touch | TM HOTAS Warthog

IMHO you desparately need a new card... I'm running a 970 and it's just running DCS smooth with low/med texture settings which really is unbearable. As soon as I crank them up to have crispy cockpits, the stutters galore starts to roll. I'd even settle with a separate cockpit textures setting that I could max out at the same time. But without, having like 1-2s long freezes every now and then, this sim is practically unsimmable. Seeing those minimum requirements reminds me of Microsoft telling us that 512MB would be enough to run Windows Vista - you just didn't want to run that on any less than 2GB, but then it was all fine... my advice would be to get a 6GB 1060 at least twilightsmile.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Im running on an R9 200 just fine.

Look at it this way, if you buy the Hornet and it stutters by a new card.

Or buy a new card and buy the Hornet.

The only difference is you may not need a new card for now! You are going to buy the Hornet anyway, its calling you...