How do I use auto throttles?

dresoccer4

Hi all. I've been flying the hornet for a while now and have a pretty good hang of it for the most part. And I use auto pilot on the reg. However I have never been able to get the auto throttle to work...

It's mapped to the default 'T' key. I'm flying straight and level 400kts @ FL100, I press the T key and nothing happens. I'm under the impression that "ATC" is supposed to appear on the HUD? Any ideas on what I could be missing?

Thanks!

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

I have mapped it to my HOTAS. I use ATC pretty much daily, and I don't have any issues with it.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

I have mapped it to my HOTAS. I use ATC pretty much daily, and I don't have any issues with it.

...thats cool. any suggestions?

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

I useally make sure my actual throttles are not in after burner and i dont have speed-brake deployed also i set my throttle so im not accelerating or decelerating too much it should work everytime if you do that. Itll probably work outside of those rules but if i do this i know itll work and i wont be in ATC in afterburner draining precious fuel

I useally make sure my actual throttles are not in after burner and i dont have speed-brake deployed also i set my throttle so im not accelerating or decelerating too much it should work everytime if you do that. Itll probably work outside of those rules but if i do this i know itll work and i wont be in ATC in afterburner draining precious fuel

thanks ill double check no afterburner and no speed brake out and get back to the thread

it will show up "ATC" on the right part of the HUD. FCS will mantain your current speed while managing throttle input (you will be able to notice the IFEI rpm figures changing to meet the speed requirements).

For instance, you are climbing 10º for a while at 320 knots with engines at 90%

Engage ATC.

Fly level.

Speed will read 320 again, but rpm will drop, let´s say to 84%.

To disengage ATC, press it again, and you will see the "ATC" label from the HUD flash.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

it will show up "ATC" on the right part of the HUD. FCS will mantain your current speed while managing throttle input (you will be able to notice the IFEI rpm figures changing to meet the speed requirements).

For instance, you are climbing 10º for a while at 320 knots with engines at 90%

Engage ATC.

Fly level.

Speed will read 320 again, but rpm will drop, let´s say to 84%.

To disengage ATC, press it again, and you will see the "ATC" label from the HUD flash.

yeah i press the autothrottle button (currently 'T') but no "ATC" ever appears on the HUD :(

i dont know what i'm missing

Un-mapped ATC from "T" and see if something else is mapped to "T". Just press "T" once you you have un-mapped, and if anything is assigned, clear that command out, and reassign ATC. When the last update (not this week), keybinds changed. Some had new ones assigned and may have caused duplicates. I don't know if "T" is default for ATC.

Also RCtrl + Enter while flying, and trying to engage ATC. Perhaps there is a spike from throttle preventing ATC activation.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

• 1 month later...

well while i'm here...is there a tutorial on how to use auto-throttle during landing? i know it switches from speed hold to AOA hold, but i can't seem to figure out exactly what it does or how to properly use it.

thanks!

there isn't a tutorial that I've seen but the basic premise is after you set the auto-throttle you simple push the flight path indicator around with the stick and the AoA should stay pretty steady.

how does it adjust the AoA if you're adjusting the stick and throttle?

• 7 months later...

My first DCS Module was the F-14, where it seems to be quite common to use ATC during Carrier Landings, and the F-14 also provides an Autoland Feature where ATC Activation is mandatory. Now I've bought the F-18 and I'm a bit confused that ATC isn't mentioned in any Tutorial about (Carrier-) Landings in the F-18 I'm aware of. Is this just because of the challenge of flying everything manually, or is it uncommon in Reality to use Autothrottle in a F-18 during (Carrier-) Landings?

Also it's a bit hard to believe that the F-18 doesn't have an Autoland Feature for Carrier-Landings while the 20 years older F-14 has it. Is there really no Autoland in the F-18 or is it just missing because of early access?

The ATC at the moment is only implemented for cruise flight only. Yes, it can be used for Carrier approaches, but is not yet implemented. Also the coupled mode for the autopilot is not implemented yet. Still lots of work to be done on the Hornet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Yeah, it doesn't work for carrier landings. I tried it once to see if it worked. I was at on speed and flying level. I switched ATC on and the plane went right into a dive. I almost went for a swim.

Buzz

ATC is not cruise control (Wags lol), ATC is for approaches to runway and carriers it is not supposed to be used for anything else. It's use is supposed to maintain the donut on approach which is very handy, trim the donut, ATC and it is supposed to do the rest up to landing as far as AoA and speed is concerned. The DCS F-14 has this but it is yet to be modelled accurately for the Hornet. :joystick:

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

ATC is not cruise control (Wags lol), ATC is for approaches to runway and carriers it is not supposed to be used for anything else. It's use is supposed to maintain the donut on approach which is very handy, trim the donut, ATC and it is supposed to do the rest up to landing as far as AoA and speed is concerned. The DCS F-14 has this but it is yet to be modelled accurately for the Hornet. :joystick:

The F-14 does even more. Once setup right it's hands off throttle and stick. The plane will land and catch 3rd or 4th wire with zero input from the pilot.

Buzz

How do I use auto throttles?

Umm, I think I understand what your meaning is, but it is misleading. It CAN be used for cruise in the Hornet. Flaps in Auto press ATC button, jet will hold current airspeed. See NATOPS manual and also every other manual made for DCS Hornet. However, it will not make speed changes automatically per a profile or pilot input by a knob. No where have I read ATC is used for approaches only for the Hornet.

That was what Flyguy was asking about. Not the F-14. He was comparing the two and asking why they couldn’t use ATC for approaches as well as auto land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by Eagle7907

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

• ED Team

There are two modes of ATC, cruise and approach. Please take the time to read about ATC cruise mode.

Thanks