Night flying in 2.5.6 is a big downgrade! - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-20-2020, 03:15 PM   #11
fitness88
Veteran

This new lighting in 2.5.6 update has really been appreciated using VR...simply beautiful flying the PG at sunset!
I wonder if the negative lighting issue I read about is more related to monitor users?
fitness88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 03:24 PM   #12
kontiuka
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weta43 View Post
Maybe you love in a city ...
kontiuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:59 PM   #13
rdibley

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness88 View Post
This new lighting in 2.5.6 update has really been appreciated using VR...simply beautiful flying the PG at sunset!
I wonder if the negative lighting issue I read about is more related to monitor users?

I fly VR only.

I gave it another try, and set my gamma to 1.0 initially but was way too dark, a gamma of 1.5 seemed more reasonable so I went with that and things looked much better than before. I think I had the gamma turned up too high from the earlier version and that was part of the problem. What is the recommended gamma for VR with a HTC Vive?

The stars look better now, but there's still something a little off with them. Maybe it's that they only render the highest magnitude (brightness) stars, so there are a bunch of bright points in the sky with nothing else? In real life, you see the dimmer stars as well. This is done reasonably well with the Vive load screen with the stars in the background, but even that's not perfect.

With the gamma turned down, the taxi lights at the airports look better, but are still too visible/bright from a distance. As for other colors being too bright, Dubai is a good example. Many of the buildings are illuminated with a blue-white color, and the city just looks artificial (blue) from altitude. Some of the shipping areas have red lighting, and it is just too intense.

Anyway, the intent of this post isn't to just throw stones, but to give feedback that will hopefully improve things. Understood that it's a work in progress, and hoping they'll be able to dial things in.
rdibley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:17 PM   #14
renders

customer : we want the lights more realistic
ed: here they are
customer : we want darkness more realistic
renders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:32 PM   #15
Phantom453

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_sukebe View Post
I have to ask if the OP has played with the gamma setting.
When I’d calmed mine down, I thought that the night shots were awesome
Mr_sukebe - May I ask what you found your gamma setting sweet spot to be after the 2.5.6 lighting update?
Phantom453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:52 PM   #16
Ironhand
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness88 View Post
...I wonder if the negative lighting issue I read about is more related to monitor users?
Not this one, anyway. Haven’t touched the gamma (2.2) and both day and night are an improvement over my 2.5.5 experience. There is now a brilliance to the sky, especially around sunrise and sunset that was lacking and I no longer feel like I’m looking at landscapes through polarized sunglasses.

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 16GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.
Ironhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:12 PM   #17
JIMJAM

Easily 80% of my TT irl were at night and 1/2 of that was wearing various NVGs. I can tell you that in the mid 90s up around 5-8 thousand agl we could see the moonlight being reflected off of diy stills. If you were in the middle of a huge forrest and lit a cigarette, from up there it would look like a brilliant flash. B back OT... I wish that cockpit reflections were optional. The Harrier is way overdone and at night looks like it was cleaned with a oily rag.
The "tron" lights just need some additional yellow/brows and it is doable.
JIMJAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:57 AM   #18
Goa

Is this post a Joke??

Seriously (I could risk a ban for that) you gotta be kiding me.

This night lighting is the best thing we received in dcs 2.5 since it's initial release.

I cant believe theere is someone complaining about a thing which never worked before and which is now AWESOME.
@OP : your claims are completely ridisculous and nonsense.
  • CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+ 500GB Samsung 850 evo / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: Asus PG278QR 144HZ / Trackir 5 proclip/ TM Warthdog Hotas /TM TFFRP rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black
Goa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:10 AM   #19
Fisu_MAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa View Post
Is this post a Joke??

Seriously (I could risk a ban for that) you gotta be kiding me.

This night lighting is the best thing we received in dcs 2.5 since it's initial release.

I cant believe theere is someone complaining about a thing which never worked before and which is now AWESOME.
@OP : your claims are completely ridisculous and nonsense.
+1000
Forget, He is a big troll.
Update:MSI Z390-A PRO, i7-9700K 3.6Ghz liquid Cooled, Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64GB, Asus Dual GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EVO OC Edition 8GB GDDR6, 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD NVMe M.2, HOTAS TM Warthog, HP Reverb
Fisu_MAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:14 AM   #20
Worrazen

It's a big step in the right direction, it just needs tuning so the sorrounding terrain is less lit up, but if there's a strong moon that makes more sense however what I seen the reflectivity of terrain is too much even for a strong moon, it's not easy because I think but I hope not that each of the texture needs it's own reflectivity map to go along with it, possibly making this task as big as FLIR rendering in a way ... , snow reflects light and that's why snowy nights look a lot more lit up and you can see the terrain and other things close to it for quite a longer distance, ofcourse if there's city lights and other sources in the vicinity to make those reflections, but I presume that for snow it would just take those base values and adding a multiplier for snow (snow adjustment) and wouldn't be such a big chore, hopefully.

EDIT:

Well obviously it's all lit up people ... if there's a FLARE over the airfield !!!!! And nobody cared to mention that, or I didn't saw, but yeah it's my fault of not trying it myself earlier.

Well, there's your problem.

Last edited by Worrazen; 02-21-2020 at 10:42 AM.
Worrazen is offline   Reply With Quote