Night flying in 2.5.6 is a big downgrade! - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-20-2020, 05:14 AM   #1
rdibley

Default Night flying in 2.5.6 is a big downgrade!

Prior to the update, I always thought that night flying wasn't too far off from the real thing. My favorite missions are those in the middle of the night with no moon out, where you have to rely on the aircraft instruments and sensors. I'm really disappointed with how it looks after the update.

To start, the APU light in the F-18 is blinding when it comes on. Some of the other lights are similar. Everything is much brighter than before. Ok, so maybe it just means that I need to turn the brightness down with everything and adjust the gamma setting. But it's still very bright. The stars look terrible in VR. They used to be small, dim points of light, maybe a little too dim when the moon isn't out. Now they're extremely bright, blue, and their size is too large. It looks like a game from the 1990's played at 320x240. It looks very artificial.

The cities in the Persian Gulf map look like something out of TRON. They just glow way too bright.

On top of that, I tried a mission with a tanker, and the tanker wasn't visible at all, even with night vision goggles.

In general, everything looks too much like a cartoon or a video game, and less like a simulator. I hope they can tweak the settings to get it more realistic. Right now, it's just ruined for me.
rdibley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 05:22 AM   #2
rrohde
Veteran

From the newsletter:

Improved Environment Lighting

We have worked hard to increase the range and visibility of lights to enhance the night flying experience. We know that it is far from perfect and will continue to improve the look and feel at night.

I assume you're aware that ED keeps continuing to update their releases, right?

PC: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz @ 5.0GHz | MSI GTX 1080 TI | ASUS Maximus IX Hero | 32GB DDR4 RAM | 512GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit
Glear: HP Reverb | Jetseat 908 | Monstertech MTX Sim Rig | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG PRO (center mount) | VKB Gunfighter Mk.II /w SCG-R Premium (side mount for DCS F-16)
rrohde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:18 AM   #3
Weta43
Veteran

rdibley - Maybe you love in a city where you never get to see a night without light pollution - do you fly often at night IRL ?

On a clear night under a full moon, it is light - you cast a sharp shadow, you can (just) see colours, but the shadows are deep.

Cities do glow at night - they can be seen form space :-)

There is more difference now at night between what is light and what is dark

That's a good thing.

Edit - Here - my photo of Guangzhou at night - looks like Tron to me...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tron.JPG
Views:	2068
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	228066  

Last edited by Weta43; 02-20-2020 at 06:32 AM.
Weta43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:48 AM   #4
draconus
DCS Ground Crew

Have you just took the most amazing thing from 2.5.6 and put it in bad light? Apart from any bugs the night lighting looks great and much more realistic now. Yes, it needs improvement but it's still WIP.

Was this tanker KC-130? It's invisible. Known bug. But they respond to radio calls and have tacan working

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=222881
Quote:
Open Beta is an option and may not be for everyone.
draconus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:45 AM   #5
Mr_sukebe

I have to ask if the OP has played with the gamma setting.
When I’d calmed mine down, I thought that the night shots were awesome
Old 02-20-2020, 08:14 AM   #6
Mogster

My other hobby is astronomy so I hang around outside at night quite a bit... Your eyes adapt quite markedly to darkness but it takes time. If you’re outside on a dark night, even without moonlight, after 10 minutes you can see pretty well. City lighting makes it easy to see, even if you’re not in an area of direct illumination. A full moon casts sharp shadows and can feel uncomfortably bright after a few minutes. Red lighting preserves dark adaptation, astronomers use red flashlights for illumination. A few seconds of white light sets back your dark adaptation so you have to start it again.

Once you are dark adapted even what are usually normally illuminated lights and leds will appear blindingly bright. I assume that’s why the DCS A10C has variable illumination levels for the console lighting, the pilot can continuously adjust it to a comfortable level.

All of this must make night lighting very difficult to simulate in a realistic manner...
Mogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:42 PM   #7
RaTzo

I spent 3 years sailing the Atlantic on HMCS Provider and Preserver. Light discipline after dark is maintained by extreme measures. The tiniest light source can be seen at unimaginable distances.

Also, when you are away from light pollution even the darkest night is actually not all that dark.

i9 9900k 5.0GHz, 32GB RAM, 1080Ti, Rift S, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals, Dual Monitors 4K & 1080

RaTzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:53 PM   #8
Raisuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weta43 View Post
On a clear night under a full moon, it is light - you cast a sharp shadow, you can (just) see colours, but the shadows are deep.

I sat on the aft missile launcher before midwatch and read a book by the light of a full moon once or twice in the IO. Usually when midrats was something toxic, which wasn't unusual.

Yes, I know, you're not supposed to read books on the missile launcher, but that's how bright the moon is. Starlight (cloudless, no moon) is ALMOST bright enough, but not quite. You haven't seen the stars until you've been in the middle of an ocean on a blacked-out ship. More than enough light to navigate topside.
Raisuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:09 PM   #9
rdibley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weta43 View Post
rdibley - Maybe you love in a city where you never get to see a night without light pollution - do you fly often at night IRL ?

Cities do glow at night - they can be seen form space :-)

There is more difference now at night between what is light and what is dark

That's a good thing.

Edit - Here - my photo of Guangzhou at night - looks like Tron to me...

I live out in the desert, where most of the time you can see the constellations pretty easily. Drive 20 miles out of town on a dark night and you can see the Milky Way. I know what you're saying, but the stars just don't look right in the game. They are way too bright (and big).

As I was playing the updated version, I turned down the gamma and it looked better, but still it was too much. What is the recommended gamma setting, by the way?

About the cities, I've flown over cities and the picture you show looks like real life. I don't know how to describe it, but the game looks less like the light is coming from light sources and reflecting off buildings and the ground, and more like everything is glowing? Not sure if that makes sense. Also, there are too many colors in the game. If you look at your picture, it's mostly orange, red, and yellow. No bright greens or blues, but I recall very vivid colors in the game.

I can say that certain things, like the blue lights of a distant airport, are way too bright. Our eyes don't pick up on blue at night very well, and something like that would be difficult to see and would look faint and fuzzy. In the game, they're crystal clear.

I'm not saying I have the answers, and I'm not even saying that I'm correct, there's just something off about it and it doesn't look right.

Last edited by rdibley; 02-20-2020 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Clarification
rdibley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:13 PM   #10
the_soupdragon

I am sure the lighting will get sorted at some point.

For me the main issue with the cityscapes at night is how geometric they are. perfect squares and polygons are really jarring.

I notice this especially on the PG Map at night

SD.