McDonnell Douglas F-15A Eagle

Knock-Knock

Really hope that we will see this thoroughbred as PFM/ASM in DCS some day.

Choosing the A cause I have this strange fetish with what they were designed to be, and not what they grew into. Granted the C is more of a beast, but Id still like the A over the C - though I would certainly not complain getting a C. The E doesnt really interest me.

So maybe with a bit of luck, after the F-16 and F-4, there is a spot for this F-teen too.

050321-F-1234P-005.JPG

150817-F-IO108-010.JPG

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

If the USAF goes through with the purchase the F-15X will be the most advanced.

I have read that the F-15E has a speed of 3017 km / h, while the F-15K Slam Eagle is the version that can compete with the dassault rafale or eurofighter typhon

F-15X i don't KNOW

Why would need a downgraded F-15A when there is a good possibility of the C model? Its like flying a downgraded F-15C...not really looking forward for that.

The F-15E model is being developed already.

Edited by jojyrocks

Why would need a downgraded F-15A when there is a good possibility of the C model? Its like flying a downgraded F-15C...not really looking forward for that.

The F-15E model is being developed already.

Reading much?

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Big +1 on the A eagle

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I'd prefer the C, but I'd like the A as well, both over the E as it turns out. I really hope the C is finished and turned into a full DCS model and I wouldn't mind an A to go with it.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

would rather have an F15C MSIP 2 full fidelity module of the FC3 eagle we have now.

Or if possible maybe even a slightly more modern version ( early to mid 2000s) upgraded with Link 16 functionality , JHMCS and AIm9x

Although i also am interested in the F15E. given its multi role nature and having a dual crew aircraft that has modern digital avionics for the land based air force

I mean.... even the "Fleet defender" can bomb stuff with PGM.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

C-model

!!

lets request as late a model as possible (please)

yes.. the eagle is a powerful a-a platform - it enjoys tremendous advantages in DCS

its kinda not FAIR that the eagle is so "brute force" powerful yet inside the cockpit its so simple

what if the eagle in DCS retained all its power and performance modeling, but pilots had to attend to such complex cockpit functionality as in the real-world? buttonology... IFF... radar mechanization (and maybe an update on the radar modeling used - as much as practicable/possible... radios/TACAN/squawking/nav/etc... )

that would even it up a bit

dontcha think?

ED? please?? 8)

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

also, the F-15E is a completely different aircraft from the F-15C

just sayin...

don't come back with "we've got a strike eagle so you've got your eagle"

mmm.... not really

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 7 months later...

+1 for F-15A

Nearly as many "A"s were made as "C"s

A full fidelity "A" module with an early AGP-63 would bring an iconic teen fighter that's real life capabilities make an entertaining and contemporary cold war adversary to the Su-27.

I guess if what you enjoy is fighting opponents that can't fight back, an "E" would be fun...

Cheers.

+1 for F-15A

Nearly as many "A"s were made as "C"s

A full fidelity "A" module with an early AGP-63 would bring an iconic teen fighter that's real life capabilities make an entertaining and contemporary cold war adversary to the Su-27.

I guess if what you enjoy is fighting opponents that can't fight back, an "E" would be fun...

The Flanker we have would be much more modern than an '80s -A. Even our -C is really a late '80s plane just with the AMRAAM. Our Flanker is late '90s.

For me, the most iconic Eagle is the -C and I can't deny I'd be dissapointed with an -A.

A mid-2000s Eagle w/ Link-16 and JHMCS is my most-wanted module in DCS, by far. It would be a fantastic companion to the same era Hornet and Viper we now have.

Edited by Jester2138

The Flanker we have would be much more modern than an '80s -A. Even our -C is really a late '80s plane just with the AMRAAM. Our Flanker is late '90s.

or not.

The Soviet Air Force began receiving Su-27s in June 1985

On 13 September 1987, a fully armed Soviet Su-27, Red 36, intercepted a Norwegian Lockheed P-3 Orion maritime patrol aircraft flying over the Barents Sea.

That aircraft would have been of the same version as the aircraft modelled in FC3.

Yes, the last "A" was built in '79, but those aircraft were only 6 years old when the first Su-27s were delivered.

Given that the last "C" was built in '85 ( & so the "C"s are all > 30 years old, ) that makes the "A" & the Su-27 very much contemporaries.

Cheers.

or not.

The Soviet Air Force began receiving Su-27s in June 1985

That aircraft would have been of the same version as the aircraft modelled in FC3.

Yes, the last "A" was built in '79, but those aircraft were only 6 years old when the first Su-27s were delivered.

Given that the last "C" was built in '85 ( & so the "C"s are all > 30 years old, ) that makes the "A" & the Su-27 very much contemporaries.

By the same line of reasoning of purely year by year comparison that would make the Mig21BIS ( with R60M's)and Mig23MLA contemporaries to the Tomcats and F15's, which after all they did engage in middle eastern conflicts against such aircraft in the Iran iraq war, and in the latter case in a few aerial skirmishes by Isreali pilots against Syrian migs.

The Su27S isnt really an ideal to an F15A model. At this point a Flanker is overall superior platform to the A model.

F15A didnt even have PSP. and in the earliest days service life the APG63 didnt even have functioning TWS. the SU27S already has some advantage to FC3 F15C due to R73 and helmet monacle and due to possessing data linking capabilities. When a mission designer chooses to have F15C restricted from its Spamraam's ( BVR combat is its main advantage) suddenly it isnt a god tier aircraft against a Su27S. After all the Flanker is basically the Soviet answer to the Eagle. So i really dont see a problem. With the Chinese J11A , what you now have is a flanker derivative that can lob fully active radar guided missiles, the R77 a contemporary of Aim120 series. ( At least the AIm120B), which essentially should have removed any final Redforces communities qualms about Flanker not being able to compete against Eagles.

F15C no earlier and (generally a MSIP 2) is what should be facing a Flanker, and is what i personally would be interested in. Apart from that the F15C is far more iconic and historically relevant as they also continue to see use in post cold war era to present day.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

(…)The Su27S isnt really an ideal to an F15A model. At this point a Flanker is overall superior platform to the A model.

F15A didnt even have PSP. and in the earliest days service life the APG63 didnt even have functioning TWS. the SU27S already has some advantage to FC3 F15C due to R73 and helmet monacle and due to possessing data linking capabilities.

Even before the 63 got PSP, it was still a superior radar to the N-001:

N001 / Myech / RPLK-27

NATO "Slot Back"

OKB: Tikhomirov NIIP

Chief designer: V K Grishin

The N001 radar for the Su-27 was designed by Viktor Grishin. Pushing the state of the art for the USSR, the original design, known as Myech, was supposed to draw heavily on technologies developed for the experimental Soyuz radar program led by NPO Istok. It was intended to have a great deal of commonality with the MiG-29's N019 Rubin radar.

Development was difficult. Originally intended to significantly outperform the AN/APG-63 of the F-15, with a 200km detection range, in reality this goal proved impossible for NIIP to achieve. It was intended to use an all new design antenna, featuring electronic scanning in elevation and mechanical scanning in azimuth. This would give excellent multitarget engagement capability, and use of the MiG-31's R-33 was envisaged. This design proved overly ambitious, and was simply unachievable for a mass production radar given the state of the Soviet electronics industry in the early eighties. In May 1982, it was decided that the NIIP designed digital computer and antenna were simply not up to scratch, nor likely to become so in the near future.

Phazotron's N019 had already reverted back to an improved version of the Sapfir-23ML's twist-cassegrain antenna to replace its problematic flat-plate antenna. It was decided therefore to use major components from the N019 radar, including a scaled-up copy of its twist-cassegrain antenna and the TS100 processor. By March 1983, the redesign was complete, though the resulting radar was nowhere near as good was intended. Instead of 200km, detection range barely reached 140km even against a large bomber.

In 1985 NIIP were ordered to improve its performance. Attention and work had switched to the new N011 radar to equip the Su-27M, and problems with N001 persisted. According to NIIP, initial units had a MTBF of only 5 hours. Though the Su-27 entered service in 1986, its radar was not finally accepted into service until 1991. Eventually MTBF was brought up to 200 hours.

N001 has a 1.075m antenna diameter twist-cassegrain antenna. A pulse-doppler design operating in the 3-cm band utilising medium and high PRFs for optimum lookdown capability, the N001 has a search range of 80-100km against a 3 sq m RCS target in a headon engagement, 140km against a large bomber. It can track a 3 sq m target at 65km. In a pursuit engagement, search range for a 3 sq m target falls to just 40km. Azimuth limits are ±60° . It can also track ECM sources, and feed target data to the Su-27's IRST system.

The average power transmitted is 1kW (same as N019).

MTBF is 100 hours.

A radar datalink is used for updating inertially guided missiles such as the R-27.

The Su-27K used an updated SUV-33 control system, the N001 radar was largely unchanged but with sea optimised lookdown capability and support for the carrier-based GCI system.

A modernised N001 radar developed for retrofitting to in-service Su-27 (analogous to the Phazotron N019M Topaz) can track and engage 2 targets at once using the R-77 missile.

Cheers.