Night flying in 2.5.6 is a big downgrade! - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-21-2020, 08:53 AM   #21
Sharkh

It seems you might miss an important factor here why there might be very different opinions about this.

When people are judging lighting/colors or black levels in a computer game should consider that these factors are also hugely affected by the technology they use .

LCD,LED,OLED,Plasma,CRT? TV or Monitor? What brand? What quality range? Not to mention what custom user settings are set sharpness/brightness/contrast/gamma/black levels/auto color or motion correcting features/dynamic contrast/etc.

These all can be a huge factor how a lighting and colors can look.

I am not saying those who have problems have cheap or bad quality screens I just wanna say that it can be a factor also worth to consider before judging .

(I am pretty sure that even a simple screenshots you post looks very different on different screens . Different color tone contranst brightness sharpness so on.)

CPU - AMD Ryzen 2600x - MB - ASUS Rog Strix B450-F, Cooling - Corsair H100i, Memory - Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, VGA - MSI RTX 2070 8G, Audio - ASUS Xonar DSX, HDD - Samsung EVO 970 SSD , PSU - Corsair RM750, Headtracking - EDtracker Pro Wired, Samsung 58" TV, Windows 10 64bit Home

Last edited by Sharkh; 02-21-2020 at 09:00 AM.
Sharkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:53 AM   #22
Pride37

Technically speaking, you're completely right. In a perfect World, we should all play with calibrated devices. But we don't, so that undoubtebly affects the way we perceive the image quality.
But when it comes to a simple comparison between 2.5.5. And 2.5.6. using the exact same rig, the device quality argument is much less relevant, which fully legitimates the point of this topic, in my honest opinion...
Pride37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:11 PM   #23
Ironhand
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkh View Post
It seems you might miss an important factor here why there might be very different opinions about this.

When people are judging lighting/colors or black levels in a computer game should consider that these factors are also hugely affected by the technology they use .

LCD,LED,OLED,Plasma,CRT? TV or Monitor? What brand? What quality range? Not to mention what custom user settings are set sharpness/brightness/contrast/gamma/black levels/auto color or motion correcting features/dynamic contrast/etc.

I am not saying those who have problems have cheap or bad quality screens I just wanna say that it can be a factor also worth to consider before judging .

(I am pretty sure that even a simple screenshots you post looks very different on different screens . Different color tone contranst brightness sharpness so on.)
I suspect it's even more basic than that. If I were to show a photograph (color) of a landscape to 20 people, I'd get 20 different opinions as to how accurately it mirrored that landscape.

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 16GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.
Ironhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 04:01 PM   #24
fitness88
Veteran

Flying VR...
I like the newest version DCS 2.5.6.43872 Open Beta - 20.02.2020.
Flying the PG now, I believe the city and building lights have been turned down a bit from DCS 2.5.6.43453 Open Beta - 13.02.2020. I like that you can see the the runway lights from a realistic distance, earlier versions was near impossible to see them until you were on top of the runway.
From Wiki:
"The visual approach slope indicator (VASI) is a system of lights on the side of an airport runway threshold that provides visual descent guidance information during approach. These lights may be visible from up to 8 kilometres (5.0 mi) during the day and up to 32 kilometres (20 mi) or more at night."

Oh ya...don't forget to delete the fxo and metashaders2 folders after each update!

Last edited by fitness88; 02-21-2020 at 04:18 PM.
fitness88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:13 PM   #25
Zlin

I tried a night flight in VR with complete cloud cover at about 2300 hrs. The clouds were bright white and the ground was almost completely black. It was unflyable. When I tried to turn on the NVGs, the view was so oversaturated that it almost blinded me (HP Reverb). While I admit that the ground lighting and airport lighting does look beautiful, there seems to be some serious issues with how clouds are illuminated or how they are reflecting light.

I never really had an issue in the prior versions using NVGs to fly in darkness but with the new OB, I can't see flying night missions in its current state.
Zlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:29 PM   #26
rdibley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda1975 View Post
+1000
Forget, He is a big troll.

I'm not a troll, guys. You just don't agree with me.

When I read this update: "We have worked hard to increase the range and visibility of lights to enhance the night flying experience. We know that it is far from perfect and will continue to improve the look and feel at night." I was really looking forward to trying it out. When I did, it didn't look right. I was disappointed. I adjusted the gamma and it looks better, but they're not there yet. As they said, they will continue to improve the look and feel at night, and I'm giving feedback and hoping for the best.

I just want it to look realistic. I want it to look the same as when you get in a plane (in real life) fly over a city at night and look out the window, even if that means that certain colors aren't going to look bright or things might be hard to see.

Regarding the runway lights. I'm not talking about the runway lighting, but the taxi lights. They're dim, they're blue, and aren't visible 8 miles out. At least, not like they are currently represented in the game.
rdibley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:45 PM   #27
hornblower793

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlin View Post
I tried a night flight in VR with complete cloud cover at about 2300 hrs. The clouds were bright white and the ground was almost completely black. It was unflyable. When I tried to turn on the NVGs, the view was so oversaturated that it almost blinded me (HP Reverb). While I admit that the ground lighting and airport lighting does look beautiful, there seems to be some serious issues with how clouds are illuminated or how they are reflecting light.

I never really had an issue in the prior versions using NVGs to fly in darkness but with the new OB, I can't see flying night missions in its current state.
I had a similar issue with NVG - you just need to adjust its gain control down

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk
Windows 10 Home ¦ Z370 AORUS Gaming K3 motherboard ¦ i5-8600K oc to 4.1GHz ¦ 48GB Corsair PC4 memory @ 3000MHz ¦ Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD for OS, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD for DCS ¦ ASUS ROG GTX 2060 Super 8GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk2 and MCG ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Oculus Rift S
hornblower793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:46 PM   #28
Eldur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa View Post
I cant believe theere is someone complaining about a thing which never worked before and which is now AWESOME.
@OP : your claims are completely ridisculous and nonsense.
There's always some supernatural ones who can even read at night. I'm not one of them, can't even see stars... Prior to the changes of 2.5.6, 2.5 at night was like flying completely blindfolded and airport lights literally just popped up when you stood directly on top of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkh View Post

Most importantly piece of hardware that may differ a lot is the good old Eyeball Mk.I. Another thing is your room setup when still flying on a screen. Is it lit to save strain on the eyes? Then you're blind in the dark. Is it completely dark? Then you'll even be blinded by a single blue Power LED. Or the things in the cockpit...
Old 02-21-2020, 11:25 PM   #29
Ziptie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlin View Post

I just flew two night missions, one in the F/A-18C and the other in the A10C. Was great for me. VR user. Gamma set to 1.5 . NVGs are certainly needed at some points of the mission, as most likely the case would be IRL, and adjusting the intensity of the NVGs is a must when you are transitioning from light saturated areas to non. It's certainly not perfect yet, and not sure anyone would have expected it to be in this early stage, but much much better than it was in 2.5.5, at least in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornblower793 View Post
I had a similar issue with NVG - you just need to adjust its gain control down

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk
^^ Maybe this is what the issue was for you Zlin? ^^

Cheers,

Don

Airframes: A10C, F/A-18C, F-14B, FC3, Combined Arms. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR
Ziptie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:26 PM   #30
Ryback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weta43 View Post
rdibley - Maybe you love in a city where you never get to see a night without light pollution - do you fly often at night IRL ?

On a clear night under a full moon, it is light - you cast a sharp shadow, you can (just) see colours, but the shadows are deep.

Cities do glow at night - they can be seen form space :-)

There is more difference now at night between what is light and what is dark

That's a good thing.

Edit - Here - my photo of Guangzhou at night - looks like Tron to me...
That is one hell of a photo sir.

I like the new lights.

Personnally only thing i find unrealistic is city lights are very diffused.They have to be much more focused and crisp.Like in your photo.

But it's very curious why nobody mentions the lack of real sky when the subject is lighting?

There is no cloud layer in DCS, no pollution/dust-fog ( please don't tell me they are there, you know what i mean)

We have cloud cover but It's basically on and off. There is the moon light and you have no moon light.That's it!

When these things are missing the rest is pretty redundant.It will never look ''real''..