F-16 HUD Skewed to the right - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-20-2020, 01:46 AM   #1
magmasta

Default F-16 HUD Skewed to the right

As the title says, after takeoff, my hud becomes skewed to the right and it prevents me flying the plane properly. I am not sure if this is something that I did not do upon startup or something that is messed up due to my update to 2.5.6
Help is requested!

Attached is a track file of this event occurring and a screenshot

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nRF...ew?usp=sharing

https://www.jointtaskforceheavy.org/
magmasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 04:04 AM   #2
Harker
DCS Ground Crew

Seems to me that you either haven't aligned your INS properly or you have very high crosswind. Does it change if you turn on the DRIFT C/O switch, in NAV mode?
Z370 Aorus Gaming 7, i7-8700K, RTX2080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4, 960 Pro 512 GB, 970 Evo Plus 1TB, WD Gold 6TB, Seasonic Prime Platinum 1300W, Acer Predator XB271HK|Hornet grip on T-50 base, Warthog side-stick, Warthog throttle, TPR pedals, 3 MFDs, MT desk mounts, TrackIR, VAICOM Pro|
F/A-18C, F-16C, JF-17, AV-8B, A-10C, M-2000C, F-14, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
Harker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 04:35 AM   #3
magmasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harker View Post
Seems to me that you either haven't aligned your INS properly or you have very high crosswind. Does it change if you turn on the DRIFT C/O switch, in NAV mode?
I don't think its crosswind as it stays on the right no matter what direction I turn. It's possible that I did my INS wrong, but I started up no differently than I did before this began happening which was after the Update leading me to believe its a bug of some sort. Although it is possible that I am doing it wrong all of a sudden. Watch the track and see what I do. (Might be a bit long in the startup portion)

Old 02-20-2020, 01:06 PM   #4
Deano87

Quote:
Originally Posted by magmasta View Post
I don't think its crosswind as it stays on the right no matter what direction I turn. It's possible that I did my INS wrong, but I started up no differently than I did before this began happening which was after the Update leading me to believe its a bug of some sort. Although it is possible that I am doing it wrong all of a sudden. Watch the track and see what I do. (Might be a bit long in the startup portion)
I’m not near my computer to watch you track but are you confirming your lat/long/alt on the ICP using Enter on each section at the start of the alignment?

Proud owner of:
PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.
My Screenshots
Deano87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:32 PM   #5
Cougar12dk

Looks to me like that could be fixed with the drift C/O switch. *EDIT* Damn.... I just noticed that Harker wrote that too *EDIT*
Cougar12dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 01:45 AM   #6
ZeroReady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar12dk View Post
Looks to me like that could be fixed with the drift C/O switch. *EDIT* Damn.... I just noticed that Harker wrote that too *EDIT*
Yeah the drift switch centers the pitch ladder, but it's still skewed unreasonably to the left for me. I confirmed and dobbered down through lat long and alt during strd heading alignment. There's no crosswind. It stays to the left no matter which way I'm facing.
ZeroReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 05:19 PM   #7
magmasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroReady View Post
Yeah the drift switch centers the pitch ladder, but it's still skewed unreasonably to the left for me. I confirmed and dobbered down through lat long and alt during strd heading alignment. There's no crosswind. It stays to the left no matter which way I'm facing.
So it’s a possible bug?

Old 02-21-2020, 08:18 PM   #8
Deano87

Quote:
Originally Posted by magmasta View Post
So it’s a possible bug?
It's not happening to anybody else. Are you SURE that you are aligning properly?

Do a DCS Repair and remove all mods. Delete the FXO and Metashaders folder from your DCS saved games folder, Then try the following sequence.

After the jet has started, rearming is complete and all the systems are turned on, put the INS align knob into Normal align. Then use down on the ICP dobber to highlight each field (Lat,Long and ALT) and confirm each field in turn with the ENTR button on the ICP. This must be done in the first couple of mins of the alignment. Once the alignment gets to about 8 mins / 06 precision then put the INS knob to NAV. And go test.

Let us know how you get on.

Proud owner of:
PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.
My Screenshots
Deano87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:44 PM   #9
randomTOTEN

TL;DR, Bad INS alignment.

I just watched the track, I have several thoughts.

First, I'm jealous the F-16C gets a detailed INS simulation before the Hornet. Events such as this show that there are consequences to failing to align the INS, and that they're modeled in the sim. It's a nice feature, and I hope it comes to the bug soon. It doesn't appear to be quite as detailed as the famous "Delco CIV-A" INS for FS9/FSX.. but it's a very decent example.

Second, my guess was correct!....this was clearly a case of a bad alignment. Other forum posts, and Wag's has a YT video on how to properly align the INS. I know there are some changes as it gets developed, and some research will be needed to properly align it next time.

Third, while I want the INS simulation in the Hornet, it's nice to use the Viper guys as a test bed while the system is developed and refined :-)

magmasta,
I took this screenshot as you were lined up on the runway.. right before you applied MAX thrust. Compare the magnetic heading indications of your HSI (INS calculated) and Magnetic Compass (directly measured).

Last edited by randomTOTEN; 02-21-2020 at 09:50 PM.
randomTOTEN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:00 PM   #10
wrl11

I have been getting the skewed HUD with stored alignment even though I confirm the coordinates. So I'm now doing NORM full alignment and it works fine (assuming you confirm the coordinates).

FIEND 536
F-16C 88536
36th FS

Col W. "Grekko" Loomis
www.statelyfe.com
wrl11 is offline   Reply With Quote