Damage Model Update - 10/12 - Page 87 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-20-2020, 03:37 PM   #861
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapi View Post
I would like to see the super detailed DM as well but let's be realistic. As Yo-Yo explained above, the balance between complexity and reasonable PC functionality must be found. I think we should trust ED that they manage to find it.

Personally I am very satisfied with the solution for radial engines with DM for every cylinder and I can accept the compact solution of DM for the inline engines.
I just dont want end up in situation that every hit in the engine will cause leak and engine death in short time,
Yo-yo is saying that 95% is filled with water is absolute not true, water is around cylinder liners and at the bottom of the heads that it, you will not find water in crank case you will not find water in upper part of heads.
I was thinking about simulating boost leak in case of penetrating intake manifolds heh
Yes Dice Roll can solve this problem

Last edited by grafspee; 02-20-2020 at 03:55 PM.
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 05:30 PM   #862
Yo-Yo
ED Team

The last one is possible.
Yo-Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 05:36 PM   #863
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo-Yo View Post
The last one is possible.
Boost leak and exhaust gases leak simulation would be super great in P-47 as you agree in p-47 those things take quite a lot of volume in plane, and the whole system is quite exposed to fire from chasing fighter(i know that turbocharger alone is extremely exposed and probably this item will cause major problems in case fire from behind,)
For example intake system is rather extremely packed in case of Bf109 so this boost leak will happen rather rarely only in case of direct engine hit.
I know that simulating things too precise will demand from hardware a lot more calculations causing lower FPS but i like to dream heh

Last edited by grafspee; 02-20-2020 at 05:43 PM.
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:28 PM   #864
Magic Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo-Yo View Post
DM is a balance between detailes and perrformance. So, nobody wants to have 10 fps and each rivet modelled. DM always is a kind of compromise. Another thing is accuracy. For example, if you have experiment data got with 3 valued digits, it's absolutely rubbish to use your calculator full length and write 8 digits as a result of calculations.

Returning to the DM... Do not forget that all things in the digital world have finite dt, so there is always a difference between real projectile trajectory and the trajectory of the real shell... Stop! What the shell? This one or that one? Shot at the certain millisecond time of the certain date from the certain plane? All rounds are different, all barrels are different...

So, one can see, that the idea of "every riot modelled" can lead us to the absolute absurd.
As an example: It is a possibility that a bullet may approach an aircraft and have to pass through the skin, two longerons and a metal plate before it impacts something, like radio equipment. By the time the bullet might reach the radio equipment, the bullet would have lost energy.

Do you mean to say that with the new DCS damage model, internal support structures (skeleton) and the skin of the aircraft won't be represented at all, leaving bullets to impact these items (“organs”) without any interference? Perhaps each and every part of the frame cannot be modeled, but is there an alternative method to represent bullets losing energy as they travel beneath the skin of an aircraft?
Maps: Normandy, Nevada

Magic Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:32 PM   #865
Magic Zach

Additionally, I noticed that there appears to be an armor piece missing from the P-51 x-ray, that should sit ahead of the coolant header tank.

I didnt check other aircraft, but I only noticed this because of my particular familiarity with the 51.

EDIT: It also appears that the large armor plate behind the engine isn't represented as well. I didnt see it at first because I mistook it for the cockpit dash panel.

Last edited by Magic Zach; 02-21-2020 at 11:38 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:48 AM   #866
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Zach View Post
Additionally, I noticed that there appears to be an armor piece missing from the P-51 x-ray, that should sit ahead of the coolant header tank.

I didnt check other aircraft, but I only noticed this because of my particular familiarity with the 51.

EDIT: It also appears that the large armor plate behind the engine isn't represented as well. I didnt see it at first because I mistook it for the cockpit dash panel.

This is from B or C Mustang may not be present in D version.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:59 AM   #867
Magic Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafspee View Post
This is from B or C Mustang may not be present in D version.
D Mustang had these armor plates as well

Old 02-22-2020, 10:01 AM   #868
tapi

From DCS manual:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P-51D-armor.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	228355  

HW: i7-7700K@OC(delid) to 5.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, MB ASUS Z270-A, GTX 1080Ti, LCD WQHD G-SYNC 120Hz,TrackIR5, VKB Gunfighter, MFG Crosswind, GVL Throttle, Windows 10 64-bit
tapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:16 AM   #869
grafspee

OK
Old 02-22-2020, 03:49 PM   #870
Yo-Yo
ED Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafspee View Post
Boost leak and exhaust gases leak simulation would be super great in P-47 as you agree in p-47 those things take quite a lot of volume in plane, and the whole system is quite exposed to fire from chasing fighter(i know that turbocharger alone is extremely exposed and probably this item will cause major problems in case fire from behind,)
For example intake system is rather extremely packed in case of Bf109 so this boost leak will happen rather rarely only in case of direct engine hit.
I know that simulating things too precise will demand from hardware a lot more calculations causing lower FPS but i like to dream heh
You want to say, that P-47 was a kind of crystal plane? History tells absolutely opposite. And, by the way, if you can calculate gas flow throw the hole of the certain area you can estimate how many bullet holes you have to drill to have noticable pressure drop. Then, if the turbo itself is intact, there is no problem except at the maximum altitude, where turbo rpm gets their limit to add boost maintaining the pressure.
Then, exhaust system punches almost are not noticable because the pressure is maintained with the automatics...
Sic!
Yo-Yo is offline   Reply With Quote