Giving the F-16 another chance... - ED Forums

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 08:40 PM   #1
=BJM=

Default Giving the F-16 another chance...

I eagerly pre-purchased the F-16 and flew it on day one of release, only to be extremely dissapointed by the low quality, number of bugs, and lack of basic features.

Two months in and I would like to give it another chance...

After flying around some today, I unfortunately have to say that there still seems to be very little that is working, not bugged, or just completely missing. It is a very frustrating aircraft to fly and operate in it's current state and I cannot really learn anything yet since just about everything is still incomplete.

Maybe I am just being unrealistic and my expectation are too high in regards to development...

What are everyone's thoughts on the current state of the F-16?
Old 12-11-2019, 08:58 PM   #2
ViKe

I think its awesome.
Data link is real nice.
Air to air it is good to go.
Air to ground guided and unguided weapons.
Nice and fast.
I fly the F16 most of the time now.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:04 PM   #3
WildWeasel303

Quote:
Originally Posted by =BJM= View Post
I eagerly pre-purchased the F-16 and flew it on day one of release, only to be extremely dissapointed by the low quality, number of bugs, and lack of basic features.

Two months in and I would like to give it another chance...

After flying around some today, I unfortunately have to say that there still seems to be very little that is working, not bugged, or just completely missing. It is a very frustrating aircraft to fly and operate in it's current state and I cannot really learn anything yet since just about everything is still incomplete.

Maybe I am just being unrealistic and my expectation are too high in regards to development...

What are everyone's thoughts on the current state of the F-16?
It's turn performance leaves much to be desired, the thrust either isn't accurate or the drag modelling is set to overkill, the stores are very limited for A/G CAS work (not even basic IR mavericks, seriously?), the steerpoint/nav system is buggy and unreliable, the TGP straight up refuses to work in certain instances, and the G tolerance of the pilot is about a full .5 or so too low at the limit. I'm sure I'm missing some things but that being said it's made some good progress from where it was just a short time ago. TWS alone was a very welcome addition.
Modules: F-16C / F-14B / F/A-18C / A-10C / AV-8B / JF-17 / M2000C / C-101 / L-39 / AJS-37 / F-5 / MiG-21 / F-86 / FC3 / FW190A8 / FW190D9 / BF-109K4 / Spitfire Mk IX / P-51D / KA-50 / UH-1 / Mi-8 / SA342 / Combat Arms / Nevada / Persian Gulf / Normandy
System: Fractal Meshify C / Ryzen 2600x @ 4.1gHz / 32gb Trident Z 3000mHz / ROG Strix B-450F / Corsair H110i Pro / RTX 2070 Super FE / 1TB SSD / Corsair RM1000x
IRL: USAF F-16C Crew Chief / Private Pilot
Old 12-11-2019, 09:07 PM   #4
Emmy

It lacks an accurate altimeter which, in the real world, would mean it would be grounded. Brakes are not properly balanced and ground handling is unpredictable.

Gucci Bling is nice, but a properly fleshed out airplane would be nice.

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php
High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.
www.crosswindimages.com
Old 12-11-2019, 09:16 PM   #5
NineLine
Community Manager

It's early access guys, I know many don't like hearing that, but signing on to early access means signing on to things not working, features to come and bugs. The best way to avoid this is to avoid early access. Otherwise, we appreciate those that help us identify and report any and all issues with the module.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
Old 12-11-2019, 10:01 PM   #6
IRememberJeep

I find myself quite often launching DCS with the intent on flying my Hornet only to find myself in the seat of my F-16.

Overall for EA I think it’s current state is fair. Obviously there is a lot of work to be done but the basics are there. I think the biggest problem I have with the F-16 at the moment is that the SA page drops my FPS considerably. Enough to make the game unplayable and where I have to keep the right MFD on the stores page.

But really for an EA aircraft we have a competent FCS and all the basics there to allow this aircraft to be enjoyable, especially in MP. Besides the SA page being a huge problem I think for such a young module it’s quite good and really makes me look forward to seeing this aircraft grow.

As much as I love my Hornet there is something about the Viper, even in EA, that keeps drawing me back.

Edit: Scratch that, I think the biggest problem about the F-16 is that I need to learn to do better in 1 v 2 air to air.

Last edited by IRememberJeep; 12-11-2019 at 10:05 PM. Reason: The Edit
Old 12-11-2019, 10:02 PM   #7
BuzzU

I'm waiting longer to buy it. Right now it makes more sense to fly the Hornet.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:40 PM   #8
Voodoo_37

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLine View Post
It's early access guys, I know many don't like hearing that, but signing on to early access means signing on to things not working, features to come and bugs. The best way to avoid this is to avoid early access. Otherwise, we appreciate those that help us identify and report any and all issues with the module.

Im not saying this to be facetious, but instead of telling people to not buy EA products, why not just release them in a more complete state and utilize more closed testers? It might just save you and the people who can patiently wait from hearing all the whining about it not being complete.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:44 PM   #9
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo_37 View Post
Im not saying this to be facetious, but instead of telling people to not buy EA products, why not just release them in a more complete state and utilize more closed testers? It might just save you and the people who can patiently wait from hearing all the whining about it not being complete.
We have a small team and some volunteer testers. And only a small amount will focus on the Viper.

Users want Early Access as early as they can get it. And most were happy to get it, even the state it was in.

You can't beat they scope and range of testing we get in early access, it's just not possible. And we appreciate each and every report we get, even when it's a known issue.

We stress over and over what Early Access is, and who might not enjoy it. And people will get mad something is missing no matter how complete everything else maybe.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
Old 12-11-2019, 11:07 PM   #10
IRememberJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo_37 View Post
With all due respect but instead of suggesting ED not release EA products why don’t you just refrain from buying EA modules until they are considered complete? That way you don’t have an frustrations. ED never claimed that the F-16 would be perfect when released and the whole point of EA is to hammer out bugs and gather data when in play. So purchasing any EA product you know what you’re getting in to. NL makes such a great point in that the amount of data they can gather from EA must cut down the time it takes to identify and fix problems. I have to imagine that cuts down on development time by a lot considering this isn’t some run of the mill video game. A lot goes into every aspect of each module.

That being said you’re acting like the F-16 is ineffective in combat or that one can’t even take off with it. For being three months old in EA the F-16 has a lot of systems and features up and running. Look through server lists and you’ll find tons of people flying it.

I would recommend sitting down and actually learning the aircraft because there is quite a bit to learn and it is a whole other animal compared to the F/A-18. In fact it may even be a system shock going from one aircraft to the other. I guarantee you’ll get more out of the module by playing/learning it than complaining about lack of features on the forums.

I do get that you’re frustrated with lack of features but that is Early Access for you. It’s not as though it’s hidden, you knew what you were getting into.
Closed Thread