FPS on Supercarrier - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-10-2019, 06:02 PM   #31
KTFBGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svsmokey View Post
Likewise , my 1070 is running my Rift S decently . And my previous 1060 did very well at 1080p .
What is decent? Are you maintaining the max FPS the rift is capable of? I want to get into VR and I am specing. A rig to run the valve index right now. I can’t imagine going down to a low refresh on VR so the 120fps on the index is the deciding factor for me.
KTFBGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:08 PM   #32
Svsmokey

Decent is 40 fps (the S has an 80hz refresh) and letting ASW fill the other 40 . No one , regardless of rig , realises full refresh low over cities on any map . While it may be possible on a super-rig , the eye-candy concessions necessary would be unbearable to most everyone . Guys running the Index are usually running 90 hz mode with 45fps and motion smoothing -this with 2080ti's , 9900k's , and far from maxed candy .

"Hold my beer"

Last edited by Svsmokey; 12-10-2019 at 06:13 PM.
Svsmokey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:15 PM   #33
KTFBGB

Quote:
Decent is 40 fps (the S has an 80hz refresh) and letting ASW fill the other 40 . No one , regardless of rig , realises full refresh low over cities on any map . While it may be possible on a super-rig , the eye-candy concessions necessary would be unbearable to most everyone .
40fps doesn’t make you sick in VR? I’ve read that on fast moving games anything under 60fps makes a lot of people want to vomit. So that’s why I was looking at the index hoping to get half at least of the 120hz.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:21 PM   #34
Svsmokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTFBGB View Post
40fps doesn’t make you sick in VR? I’ve read that on fast moving games anything under 60fps makes a lot of people want to vomit. So that’s why I was looking at the index hoping to get half at least of the 120hz.
No , it does not . I even ran it without ASW , and suffered no ill effects . YMMV of course , so if you have the opportunity , try before you buy .

"Hold my beer"
Svsmokey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:27 PM   #35
Sn8ke_iis

Quote:
... respectable chanels on YouTube like Jayz two cents, or Linus Tech, you see the 10 series falls seriously short for pushing high frame rates above 1080P...

LOL, I was playind DCS in 4K with FXAA with a 7700K/Titan Xp over 2 1/2 years ago. No YouTube channel or gamer site that I am aware of does benchmarks for DCS. Both of those guys get kickbacks and special treatment from vendors. It's their job to get views and create demand for new toys. There's an obvious conflict of interest so you should take what they say with a grain of salt.

Quote:
On modern AAA titles...
The software is always ahead of the hardware. Always has, always will

Quote:
...the Titan RTX is what you need especially for DCS.
You definitely do not need a $2500 GPU card to play DCS.

Quote:
..Like the 9900 or the new 3850.
There is no AMD 3850. If you mean the 3950, that CPU is being scalped on Ebay right now for over $1000. A 3800X costs less than $400. A 9700K or a 3600x will do just fine.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Quote:
One high speed core to compute DCS and another to push rendered frames to the monitor.
As I understand it the two cores that DCS uses are for the audio and one for the draw calls.

Quote:
AIO liquid coolers or Noctua coolers are needed to keep temps down because even at 70C you are loosing performance.
The current gen of processors can run at higher temps without throttling. Cooler is always better though for the electrons running through the transistors due to lower resistance.

Quote:
I know a lot of folks cant afford this kind of rig.
Sure people can afford it. The question is why would you pay that much when you could buy something else like a bigger monitor or good pedals?

Quote:
However folks complaining about frame rates, stuttering, etc. when they are trying to use hardware beyond its capabilities just doesn’t make sense. If you want to run DCS at 1440 or 4K or have high frames in VR this is what you need. If not get a good 1080 monitor and your experience will be much better.
In my experience, most of the issues people see on here are due to tuning and resource management. It's usually something simple like power management settings, unnecessary background processes, a fast SSD, enabling XMP profiles in BIOS, or locking your frame rate to 60Hz for TrackIR due to limitations of the IR camera. Telling someone they need to buy a faster rig doesn't really help.

Pit:
Samsung Q6FN 65" 4K|TrackIR 5|Sennheiser PC 363D headphones|HP Reverb Pro|Realsim FSSB|TM Warthog HOTAS w/Rainman curved extension, MFDs|Vipergear IPC|Buddyfox UFC| Saitek Throttle Quad, Trim Wheel|MFG Pedals|Playseat Flightseat| Monstertech HOTAS mount|Gametrix Jetseat
Sn8ke_iis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:38 PM   #36
KTFBGB

Quote:
No , it does not . I even ran it without ASW , and suffered no ill effects . YMMV of course , so if you have the opportunity , try before you buy .
Good to know.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:26 PM   #37
Chefen41

Decent frame rate for me is above 40. Dubai, 300 ft. and in a helicopter yields about 50 fps. It will dip once in a while, but it is smooth. On the NTTR map it's a solid 60 fps....and thats the map I like the most.

I am still strugling with my rift S though.
Chefen41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:26 PM   #38
=BJM=

In DCS at 1440p, there is no question that the 1080 Ti struggles. If I had known that I would have to lower settings significantly to maintain a 60 FPS minimum, I would have stayed with a 1080p monitor.

If I see a 40-50 FPS drop from baseline empty map FPS on the Stennis with other aircraft on the deck, the new, more detailed Supercarrier module will only be worse.

Maybe Vulkan will help...hopefully it is released alongside the new carrier.
=BJM= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:57 PM   #39
BuzzU

Quote:
Originally Posted by =BJM= View Post
In DCS at 1440p, there is no question that the 1080 Ti struggles. If I had known that I would have to lower settings significantly to maintain a 60 FPS minimum, I would have stayed with a 1080p monitor.

If I see a 40-50 FPS drop from baseline empty map FPS on the Stennis with other aircraft on the deck, the new, more detailed Supercarrier module will only be worse.

Maybe Vulkan will help...hopefully it is released alongside the new carrier.
Yes, your 1080 would be loafing on a 1080 monitor. I use a 1080 monitor and get 120fps with a 1060 6g. No VR though.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:17 PM   #40
nessuno0505

Quote:
2080TI is meant for VR, and driving 1440P.
Bull***t. I play VR with a 2070, good performance, absolutely not a slideshow.
nessuno0505 is offline   Reply With Quote