Hornet vs JF17 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-09-2019, 04:38 AM   #1
hanab

Default Hornet vs JF17

Hi,

Following the release of the JF17, i’ve got the impression that it has many more functional systems than the hornet (A / G radar, TGP finished). Also I wonder if it's worth buying it knowing that I already have the hornet. What are the advantages of F / A 18C over JF 17 at the moment of development and when it will be finished?

Thanks
hanab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:06 AM   #2
donkeyrider

Carrier Ops is the main one.

The other differences are really down to personal preference.

I have both but still spending most time in the Bug because I like flying in circles around boats.
donkeyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:38 AM   #3
slikbaz

hornet > JF: Fuel is a pretty big one, don't get very much loiter time in the JF-17 without tanks. Aerial refueling is another - it may come later to the JF but not yet. Same for helmet mounted display and the AIM-9X to go with it. The radar is quite a bit better. Raw top speed is probably better.

JF > hornet: That being said, the JF is definitely a cool and very different plane from the American fighters. The missile warning system is better in the JF. Has working AG radar now. Can carry 64 laser guided rockets (like SU-25T vikhr). Can probably get longer range kills at maximum with SD-10 than with the 120C. Maneuverability at slow speeds I think is better, maybe in general but I'm not sure (and depends on stores/weights).

Last edited by slikbaz; 12-09-2019 at 05:40 AM.
slikbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:52 AM   #4
SacredRaziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by slikbaz View Post
hornet > JF: Fuel is a pretty big one, don't get very much loiter time in the JF-17 without tanks.
If your loadout is not too draggy and you keep her out of burner you are as good as a 18. Plus you don't munch through your fuel as fast in AB in the thunder subjectively.

I currently prefer the 17... she feels not as slow and underpowered

Gesendet von meinem SM-G960F mit Tapatalk
SacredRaziel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:33 AM   #5
slikbaz

Yeah it's a personal preference thing - it can't hurt to have both since they are both great modules, but if you already have the F-18 then there is no "objective" reason to switch. One subjective one is that it's really cool.
slikbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:09 AM   #6
chrisofsweden

I think the JF-17 looks really cool. I want it. It reminds me of the Gripen cockpit with the big MFD's. But I'm really struggling to be proficient today in any module. I like to fly the F-14, 16, 18 / M-2000, Harrier and damn it's hard to be proficient in all modules. The only reason I haven't bought the JF-17 yet. It's inevitable though. I will buy it sooner or later.
chrisofsweden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:32 AM   #7
Top Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisofsweden View Post
I think the JF-17 looks really cool. I want it. It reminds me of the Gripen cockpit with the big MFD's. But I'm really struggling to be proficient today in any module. I like to fly the F-14, 16, 18 / M-2000, Harrier and damn it's hard to be proficient in all modules. The only reason I haven't bought the JF-17 yet. It's inevitable though. I will buy it sooner or later.
Its funny you mention that, as I've recalled in another thread that the JF-17's AI performance in BFM (nimble turns; very good sustained turn rate; high energy levels also in vertical, etc) do remind me the Gripen AI aircraft from another old sim.

Regarding BFM I've tried several aircraft against the JF-17 AI, in the link below.

My doubt persist however; which would be the most "equitable" way of comparing BFM performance between 2 different aircraft:
- giving both the same percentage ( % ) of fuel - which can greatly differ the fuel quantity from aircraft to aircraft;
- or the exact same fuel quantity ( lbs ) for both ?

Example:
- giving both a MiG-29 and JF-17, 50% internal fuel, one will feel increased difficulty while BFM in the MiG;
- giving both of them some (for instance) 3500 lbs of fuel, one will notice easier BFM in the MiG.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=257291
Samsung 860 QVO
Win 7, 64 bit

HANGAR
FlamingCliffs 3 , MiG-21Bis , Mirage 2000C , F-14B , F/A-18C

Last edited by Top Jockey; 12-09-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Top Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:20 PM   #8
Harker
DCS Ground Crew

I'm going to refrain from comparing the completion states of the modules, since I don't consider that to be a deciding factor in the long run.

Besides the stuff mentioned, one advantage of the Hornet is the extra two fuselage hardpoints, allowing you to take either two extra AAMs (or an AAM and a TGP, eventually). Add the fact that the Hornet's under-wing hardpoints can be used for anything and you can possibly come up with more versatile combinations, for a given task. It can also carry a significantly higher amount of chaff and flares.

The JF-17 on the other hand is easily the most modern fighter we have in DCS right now. It features a glass cockpit with ample MFD real estate and a sophisticated avionics suite that offers a series of QOL improvements to the pilot that can increase survivability and aid in navigation.

I did some play testing for BFM, which is one aspect that you can currently compare both jets (because BVR performance cannot currently be compared, due to the state of the Hornet's radar and the underperforming of the AIM-120C or overperforming of the SD-10, whichever is true). I set up a mission of 1v4 against 2 Su-27 and 2 MiG-29S, Excellent AI. I found both jets to be very good at BFM, with the Hornet offering better high AOA authority and overall a more controlled feeling, but I've also been flying the Hornet since it launched, so there's that. The JF-17 did perform excellent as well though and I took down all 4 targets without much difficulty.

The weapons selection is fairly similar between the two jets, so I cannot comment much on that. The laser guided rockets are a nice addition to the JF-17's arsenal, that should prove very useful in CAS scenarios, assuming that no SAM/MANPADS threats are present.

In the end, I like both, for different reasons. The Hornet has been my go-to since it launched and I suspect that won't change, but I'll be definitely giving some attention to the JF-17 as well, that's for sure.
Z370 Aorus Gaming 7, i7-8700K, RTX2080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4, 960 Pro 512 GB, 970 Evo Plus 1TB, WD Gold 6TB, Seasonic Prime Platinum 1300W, Acer Predator XB271HK|Hornet grip on T-50 base, Warthog side-stick, Warthog throttle, TPR pedals, 3 MFDs, MT desk mounts, TrackIR, VAICOM Pro|
F/A-18C, F-16C, JF-17, AV-8B, A-10C, M-2000C, F-14, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
Harker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:33 AM   #9
donkeyrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harker View Post
I'm going to refrain from comparing the completion states of the modules, since I don't consider that to be a deciding factor in the long run.

Besides the stuff mentioned, one advantage of the Hornet is the extra two fuselage hardpoints, allowing you to take either two extra AAMs (or an AAM and a TGP, eventually). Add the fact that the Hornet's under-wing hardpoints can be used for anything and you can possibly come up with more versatile combinations, for a given task. It can also carry a significantly higher amount of chaff and flares.

The JF-17 on the other hand is easily the most modern fighter we have in DCS right now. It features a glass cockpit with ample MFD real estate and a sophisticated avionics suite that offers a series of QOL improvements to the pilot that can increase survivability and aid in navigation.

I did some play testing for BFM, which is one aspect that you can currently compare both jets (because BVR performance cannot currently be compared, due to the state of the Hornet's radar and the underperforming of the AIM-120C or overperforming of the SD-10, whichever is true). I set up a mission of 1v4 against 2 Su-27 and 2 MiG-29S, Excellent AI. I found both jets to be very good at BFM, with the Hornet offering better high AOA authority and overall a more controlled feeling, but I've also been flying the Hornet since it launched, so there's that. The JF-17 did perform excellent as well though and I took down all 4 targets without much difficulty.

The weapons selection is fairly similar between the two jets, so I cannot comment much on that. The laser guided rockets are a nice addition to the JF-17's arsenal, that should prove very useful in CAS scenarios, assuming that no SAM/MANPADS threats are present.

In the end, I like both, for different reasons. The Hornet has been my go-to since it launched and I suspect that won't change, but I'll be definitely giving some attention to the JF-17 as well, that's for sure.
Harker - excellent assessment. Like you, the Hornet will remain my go to but I do appreciate what the JF-17 brings. We live in good times.
donkeyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:27 PM   #10
BuzzU

The Hornet is an American plane. The JF isn't. It's an easy decision for me.